Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Venting a front oil cooler.., like the V8 guys vent radiators?
DougC
post Jul 25 2005, 09:29 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,307

I've read the other thread that's going on now about front coolers, but I have a different situation and didn't want to confuse anyone. I need to vent my front mounted oil cooler and was wondering if I could just cut some sections out of the inside wheel wells like the V8 guys do to vent their radiator setups.. no duct work or anything. Well, actually maybe even adding a puller fan to each one. This is going to be necessary for me because I have a huge A/C condensor in the floor, I don't can about the trunk getting wet. Would this be addequit ventilation?

Doug C
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DougC
post Jul 26 2005, 01:34 PM
Post #2

You know, cutting a rectangle hole in the wheel wells? It would kill two birds for me - I could also run my oil cooler lines (front mounted cooler) through these openings. Anyone ever thought of this for exiting hot air that came through the oil cooler?

Doug C
+Quote Post
914GT
post Jul 26 2005, 01:52 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 2,923
Region Association: Southwest Region

Since it works well for V8 radiators I don't see why it would not work well for oil coolers. I would think you could get by with smaller openings since the oil coolers are usually smaller than radiators.
+Quote Post
Wild 6
post Jul 26 2005, 02:02 PM
Post #4

See you at the next autocross.

Member No.: 3,128

It works great. My 72 914 had A/C and I vented the oil cooler through 3" round holes in the wheel wells. The wheel wells are a low pressure area and will help pull air through your cooler.

The previous owner of my current car ducted the oil cooler out the bottom. It really didn't cool very well at the track. I fixed it by adding additional ducting through the wheel wells. No more problem now.

Andy
+Quote Post
DougC
post Jul 26 2005, 02:20 PM
Post #5

Aw, thanks for the reply guys! I now have a large opening on the floor of the trunk for the A/C and a large opening in front of that for the Oil Cooler and I was just worried about having too many holes and structural integrety. So, anyways I have a 5" hole saw and I think I'll use that, one on each side of the wheel well. I guess I should cut as close to the fuel tank bulkhead as possible so the air that hits it will bounce out easily. Just to be straight Andy, you weren't running any ducting to these openings right? I don't plan to.. Also, I guess that my idea for a puller fan on each hole wouldn't be necessary since wheel wells are low pressure areas anyway?

Doug C
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 06:13 AM