Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Some thoughts on a simpler HE option -, Headers designs with straight sections
gereed75
post Aug 19 2021, 11:22 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,674
Region Association: North East States

Here is some discussion that came up when looking at original GT headers over on Marty’s #40 thread.

Thought it was worthy of further discussion in a separate thread

QUOTE(gereed75 @ Aug 19 2021, 06:16 AM) *

Pete, That is a really interesting thought. I have always thought about the application of an aviation style heat muff for our cars as a more simple alternative to the stock heat shrouds. The problem with that is they need an un-obstructed section of straight pipe to fit onto, and that does just not exist on the stock headers or on most other headers. See this

http://www.velocedge.com/Starduster/Projec...ter/Default.asp

But this configuration does provide that straight section. The issue would be getting the blown air routed back to this section and then returning it to the heat pipes.

I think maybe this deserves some further thought and its own thread so as not to detract from #40 worship.

Gotta say that #40 is the holy grail and Marty and crew are the perfect custodians. Sometimes life and karma do produce the perfect match!

Agree with all your points—particularly that last one.

Those straight pipes really do provide for some interesting options, and small HEs would be one of the best of them. I would be interested in cats with HEs as I would love to have a cleaner 914—though I'd want to weigh that against the implications for engine oil temps and transaxle oil temps. The heat muffler you linked is very, very interesting—as is the flapper box in the pics, particularly if it seals better than the Porsche flappers. The new ones I bought years ago still bled heat from my SSIs, which was super annoying on hot days. sad.gif

Agree about the question on how to get the heat forward again, to the flapper boxes, but suspect fairly elegant heat return tubes could be made to work. One begins to wonder if the GT headers could also provide an easier way to do valve adjustments, if the straight pipes and muffler could be left in place? How cool would that be? Looking at some of those GT hangars/mounts with increased interest now, as I am wondering if they support the front of the straight pipes? Or if that is even necessary for a valve adjust?

Yes, a separate thread is probably warranted to avoid polluting this one—but this fantastic thread on #40, a 914 that has been inspiring me for more than 30 years and is prominently displayed in the 000 office, prompted the crazy thought. Which gets me back to your last point… beerchug.gif

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 11:34 AM