Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Porsche 914 engine fan, Engine Fan Air Intake Screen?
Str1974
post Sep 2 2021, 12:17 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,820
Region Association: Southwest Region

Hello All, I've currently dropped my engine (Yes, my first time on my own..) in order to replace my oil cooler and clean up my engine tins and repaint, etc. I removed my engine fan to clean up as well, and was wondering why the 914 engine does not use the intake screen that other type 4 bus engine uses? I realize the bus engine has it that it is accessible from rear engine lid and therefore you don't want to loose your fingers by sticking your hand into the fan.... but other than making it harder to replace the fan belt from the back of the 914 compartment, has anyone decided that in order to prevent a wrench or other tool fall down the back of the 914 engine compartment and get feed into the fan the screen could protect accidents from happening. Any thoughts? Any reason for the screen to make any negative cooling effects on 914 fan intake? Just curious and thinking about putting on screen....
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Sep 2 2021, 12:30 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565
Region Association: North East States

It's protected from road debris by the engine tin.

I put one on both my cars anyway. Mostly to keep ME from dropping something in there.
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Sep 2 2021, 01:08 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

Yeah, good idea for self preservation. Over the years interesting stuff has made it into fan housing. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
Dustin
post Sep 2 2021, 01:59 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 12,072
Region Association: None

The fan is at the front of the 914 engine compartment. Not the back. That could be why the screen doesn't get installed. Someone would actually try to put their hand in the fan on a 914. On a bus the fan is facing the person working on the engine.
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Sep 2 2021, 07:30 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

kombis were double dangerous.

hippies could get their kaftans sucked into the fan while mesmerized by the prayer wheel they had painted on the blades?

vw service personal weren't paid danger money and instructed on the proper use of tie clips like 911 technicians?

pure safety thing on kombi version. bit like leaning over the radiator of a 1960s australian ford falcon?

ducting and shrouds on type 1 and type 3 as well as regular 411/12s make death by strangulation from loose clothing impossible. only the kombi is lethal at tune up time - esp twin carb variety where you have a screw driver in each carb and anything is dangling.
+Quote Post
emerygt350
post Sep 2 2021, 10:16 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 25,740
Region Association: North East States

Just the other day I was working on mine and a screw dropped down there. At first, I was like 'whatever', then I realized the true danger and scared the crap out of my 8 year old son when I started appreciating the full implications of my problem. I got the screw back, my son is still recovering.
+Quote Post
jcd914
post Sep 3 2021, 01:06 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,684
Region Association: Northern California

The big side air ducts on the bus could pull in much bigger things than the 914 engine lid would let in.

As both a dealer VW tech and dealer Porsche tech, I got more safety training from VW than Porsche, although all the training was in the same 2 training centers.

Jim
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Sep 3 2021, 12:01 PM
Post #8

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Try changing a fan belt in a 914 with a screen...then you'll wish you hadn't.
+Quote Post
johnhora
post Sep 3 2021, 03:53 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 107
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) with Mark

Think food disposal in your sink...a 914 T-4 fan will eat just about anything that goes in there
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Sep 3 2021, 04:07 PM
Post #10

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643
Region Association: Southern California

I got mine from Bus Depot:
https://www.busdepot.com/j10983
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
pt_700
post Sep 3 2021, 05:02 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 11,430
Region Association: Northern California

one of my heater hoses came loose and got sucked into there...

+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Sep 3 2021, 05:06 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE(jcd914 @ Sep 3 2021, 01:06 AM) *

The big side air ducts on the bus could pull in much bigger things than the 914 engine lid would let in.

As both a dealer VW tech and dealer Porsche tech, I got more safety training from VW than Porsche, although all the training was in the same 2 training centers.

Jim

ahh that would explain it - absolutely. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

all the vws down here ran twin carbs on type3s and kombis (very few fuel injected).
can still remember being arse up head down in the back of the square back with a stub screwdriver in each carb balancing the idle and trying to get the linkages tuned!. good thing it didn't have a type 4 fan spinning away right were my t- shirt would be hanging down.

-------

if you look at later cars with smog pumps, or even a 912e running ac and smog pump off fan as a pulley, a screen is impossible.
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Sep 3 2021, 05:35 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Sep 2 2021, 10:16 PM) *

Just the other day I was working on mine and a screw dropped down there. At first, I was like 'whatever', then I realized the true danger and scared the crap out of my 8 year old son when I started appreciating the full implications of my problem. I got the screw back, my son is still recovering.

i have a dirty big bath towel i have always put down there when doing anything that could involve losing a bolt or anything else. i have several telescoping magnets that are very strong. fished out many a bolt on many a car with those. working on a citroen with a prv or later V6 is worse than anything a vw or porsche can dish up in terms of disappearing screws. they have numerous ledges, hydraulic lines and undertrays.

you aint going to forget to take a dirty big bath towel out after you finish working either.
even prevents the random rag incidents?
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 08:11 PM