Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> which fan pulley to use for 2.7L?, and various other engine questions
Bob Wolcott
post Jul 25 2005, 10:57 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,096

I currently have two engines for my 914-6 and one has to go (original 2.0L) to finance the project. The 2.0 motor will be parted out and I have a few questions regarding which components to keep for the 2.7L motor.

For the fan assembly, I have one with a 3.25" pulley and another that is a bit larger (3.75"?) Which would be best to use on the 2.7? There will be a front mounted oil cooler.

I have two alternators, the original and one that came with the 2.7L motor that is a bit different. Will they both work on a 914-6?

Engine oil cooler: I have two oil coolers for this, the 914-6 original and one that came with the 2.7L. I know the 2.7L oil cooler would need to be modified for use on the -6 so is there any reason I couldn't use the original?

Is there anything I am missing that I should keep or get rid of?

Thanks,
Bob
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jul 25 2005, 11:02 PM
Post #2

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Sorry I can't get you info on the rest, but as far as the oil cooler is concerned you can and should use the original one. Much easier and the same set up.
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Jul 26 2005, 05:47 AM
Post #3

rich herzog

Member No.: 513
Region Association: None

QUOTE (Bob Wolcott @ Jul 26 2005, 12:57 AM)
The 2.0 motor will be parted out...

For the fan assembly, I have one with a 3.25" pulley and another that is a bit larger (3.75"?) Which would be best to use on the 2.7?

I have two alternators, the original and one that came with the 2.7L motor that is a bit different. Will they both work on a 914-6?

Engine oil cooler: I have two oil coolers for this, the 914-6 original and one that came with the 2.7L.

Is there anything I am missing that I should keep or get rid of?

i'm going to need some parts, let me know...

i'll need:
901.106.011.00 - fan housing
911.106.033.00 - hub extension
911.106.901.00 - upper air duct (fan/cylinder shroud) any color.

Anderson's book talks at great length about the different fan and pulley combinations used through the years. it's much too complicated to type in here. what fan are you using? what crankshaft pulley are you using ?

the alternators will interchange. you "should" use the same brand regulator as alternator, but i don't think many people pay much attention to that any more. but you MUST know (and make wiring changes) if you are changing between internally and externally regulated alternators.

definitely use the early (/6) cooler. the cooler part is the same, and it will have the fittings you need.

IMO you chould consider uprating to the '72+ oil filter console if you're using a newer engine. this has larger ports (and will take different filters, so be sure to document that...)

if your 2,7 has "turbo" lower valve covers you'll need to have some of the stiffening rib removed (ground, filed, machined, whatever...) if you want to be able to do valve adjustments with the engine in the car.

transfer your timing marks to the new flywheel. use one color for Z1 TDC and the 30* mark, and a different color for the 120* (valve adjustment) marks. your call whether you do those so they can be seen from the top (as with the Z1) or the bottom (as for valve adjustment) but i suggest you pick one and leave a placard on the car so you (or a future mechanic) won't get confused.

you should DEFINITELY have a copy of Anderson's book.

there's probably other stuff but it's what i can think of now.
+Quote Post
echocanyons
post Jul 26 2005, 09:20 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 7
Region Association: Central California

Is this book Bruce anderson's Porsche 911 performance handbook?
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Jul 26 2005, 09:23 AM
Post #5

rich herzog

Member No.: 513
Region Association: None

QUOTE (echocanyons @ Jul 26 2005, 11:20 AM)
Is this book Bruce anderson's Porsche 911 performance handbook?

yes.
+Quote Post
goose2
post Jul 26 2005, 11:22 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 3,847
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

This is very good advice from Rich on the flywheel marking....I just did a valve adjust with no marks visible...PITA. I think I'd Mark TDC on the top (on the top to make it easy to set timing) and TDC and 120 degree increments thereafter on the bottom, for valve adjustments. A small drilled dimple with a blob of colored paint will last. You can color code the various marks.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 04:21 AM