Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Best 914-6 engine mount
David Stowers
post Sep 15 2021, 10:53 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,613
Region Association: None

Hi Guys
I need to choose an engine mount for my conversion. Any pros and cons of which type to go for?
I understand height on install is an issue to get a good air seal to avoid overheating issues
Thanks
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
nditiz1
post Sep 15 2021, 10:54 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 18,763
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(David Stowers @ Sep 15 2021, 09:53 AM) *

Hi Guys
I need to choose an engine mount for my conversion. Any pros and cons of which type to go for?
I understand height on install is an issue to get a good air seal to avoid overheating issues
Thanks

Maddog OEM .
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Sep 15 2021, 11:02 AM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

The best buy for the smaller engines through 2.4 is maddog and we have his mounts on the shelf

for 2.7 and larger the dual club sport from Rich

Hi Guys
Thanks

+Quote Post
brant
post Sep 15 2021, 11:12 AM
Post #4

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

the PMS tilting mount has the advantage of easier motor install/removal, and also tipping for service work. may not be as important for a street car. but very helpful on a race car.
+Quote Post
Justinp71
post Sep 15 2021, 11:21 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 2,922

QUOTE(brant @ Sep 15 2021, 10:12 AM) *

the PMS tilting mount has the advantage of easier motor install/removal, and also tipping for service work. may not be as important for a street car. but very helpful on a race car.

Is this bolt or weld on? I went with Rich Johnson because it was both (weld and bolt) I thought was was a nice way to go. Just have to remove the rear brake lock up device.

+Quote Post
David Stowers
post Sep 15 2021, 11:24 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 14,613

[quote name='dr914@autoatlanta.com' date='Sep 15 2021, 09:02 AM' post='2945706']
The best buy for the smaller engines through 2.4 is maddog and we have his mounts on the shelf

[quote name='David Stowers' post='2945700' date='Sep 15 2021, 09:53 AM']
Hi Guys
Thanks
[/quote]

OEM or the other version? Pros and cons please. I’m not bothered about originality
+Quote Post
Steve
post Sep 15 2021, 11:44 AM
Post #7

914 Guru

Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

[quote name='David Stowers' date='Sep 15 2021, 10:24 AM' post='2945712']
[quote name='dr914@autoatlanta.com' date='Sep 15 2021, 09:02 AM' post='2945706']

[quote name='David Stowers' post='2945700' date='Sep 15 2021, 09:53 AM']
Hi Guys
Thanks
[/quote]

OEM or the other version? Pros and cons please. I’m not bothered about originality
[/quote]
What size motor? I agree with the Doctor. Dual mounts according to Rich Johnson has less vibration than a single mount. The PMS tilting dual mount, has the advantage of trackside access to the engine. I have a Rich Johnson mount that I have used with a 2.7, 3,2 and future 3.6. Works great!
+Quote Post
brant
post Sep 15 2021, 12:28 PM
Post #8

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Sep 15 2021, 11:21 AM) *

Is this bolt or weld on? I went with Rich Johnson because it was both (weld and bolt) I thought was was a nice way to go. Just have to remove the rear brake lock up device.

Mines welded
I assume they all are?
+Quote Post
Steve
post Sep 15 2021, 01:29 PM
Post #9

914 Guru

QUOTE(brant @ Sep 15 2021, 11:28 AM) *

Mines welded
I assume they all are?

There all designed to be welded on, except for the Cross Bar Motor mount that uses the stock 4 mounting pods. I don't know of anyone making that mount anymore.
+Quote Post
Justinp71
post Sep 15 2021, 05:57 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 2,922

QUOTE(brant @ Sep 15 2021, 11:28 AM) *

Mines welded
I assume they all are?

The Rich Johnson is both. So you have about 4 thru bolts as I recall that take some of the load thru the firewall and its also stitch welded. I personally liked this as an extra safety measure.
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Sep 15 2021, 06:10 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Sep 15 2021, 10:54 AM) *

Hi Guys
Thanks

Maddog OEM .

By far, Maddog has a setup that fits perfect
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Sep 16 2021, 06:09 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21,666

The Naro mount is easy to install and everything fit (once mounted slightly higher than directions indicate as discussed here extensively) BUT I haven’t run it yet and am a bit concerned over NVH compared to the Maddog and factory style set up.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Sep 16 2021, 06:12 AM
Post #13

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

I have had the Rich Johnson mount. While it is a little harder to get the bolts in the mounts when installing the engine, it works great with the big 4.0L engine I have.

I had the body shop put in the mount when I had the paint and body work done. They put it exactly where the directions said, and I have had no issues with it at all.

Clay
+Quote Post
lesorubcheek
post Sep 16 2021, 08:24 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 25,463
Region Association: South East States

One issue to consider is the brake pressure regulator. It's been mentioned that cars with the later setup likely have to relocate the regulator farther toward the driver's side so it has proper clearance with the /6 mount. Looks like in the PET the change was made in the '74 model year after VIN 4742915751. Do all styles of the /6 mounts have this issue? Pretty sure I've read posts where the OEM style mount has the problem. Just looking, I'd guess the Bulkhead mount would also, but can't be sure.

Dan
+Quote Post
Steve
post Sep 16 2021, 09:04 AM
Post #15

914 Guru

QUOTE(lesorubcheek @ Sep 16 2021, 07:24 AM) *

One issue to consider is the brake pressure regulator. It's been mentioned that cars with the later setup likely have to relocate the regulator farther toward the driver's side so it has proper clearance with the /6 mount. Looks like in the PET the change was made in the '74 model year after VIN 4742915751. Do all styles of the /6 mounts have this issue? Pretty sure I've read posts where the OEM style mount has the problem. Just looking, I'd guess the Bulkhead mount would also, but can't be sure.

Dan

I’m using the Rich Johnson mount with a “T” instead of the regulator. No mounting issues. In over 30 years of autocross and street driving I never had an issue with the T.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Sep 16 2021, 09:29 AM
Post #16

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(lesorubcheek @ Sep 16 2021, 09:24 AM) *

Dan

I have Boxster calipers, so they are sized for a mid engine car. I pulled the valve and put in a T to replace it.
So I don't know if it hits or not.

Clay
+Quote Post
Steve
post Sep 16 2021, 10:26 AM
Post #17

914 Guru

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 16 2021, 08:29 AM) *

QUOTE(lesorubcheek @ Sep 16 2021, 09:24 AM) *

Dan

I have Boxster calipers, so they are sized for a mid engine car. I pulled the valve and put in a T to replace it.
So I don't know if it hits or not.

Clay

I’m also running boxster calipers front and rear with a 911 parking brake.
+Quote Post
Luke M
post Sep 16 2021, 12:09 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 3,574
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(lesorubcheek @ Sep 16 2021, 07:24 AM) *

Dan

I just went through this with my brothers 914. He has a 74 with the RJ 6 conversion mount welded in place. Yes, the pressure regulator needs to be relocated or swapped out for a T fitting. You also need new brake lines bent to fit properly. We went with the T fitting. The brakes he is using are PMB converted GT 6 calipers in the rear, and 911 Aluminum S calipers up front.

If I where to do another 6 conv I would use the OEM style Maddog mount setup which is a copy of the factory 6 mount.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
SKL1
post Sep 16 2021, 12:55 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 12,732
Region Association: Upper MidWest

If using the maddog mount, do people recommend the wevo or uro option?
+Quote Post
lesorubcheek
post Sep 16 2021, 01:26 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 25,463
Region Association: South East States

First, David, thanks for starting this thread and asking the question. Forgive me if I'm jumping in a little too anxiously, but this is the exact question I'm trying to answer also. Trying to get all the ducks in a row for what's needed and the engine mount is one of the very important details.

QUOTE(Luke M @ Sep 16 2021, 01:09 PM) *

I just went through this with my brothers 914. He has a 74 with the RJ 6 conversion mount welded in place. Yes, the pressure regulator needs to be relocated or swapped out for a T fitting. You also need new brake lines bent to fit properly. We went with the T fitting. The brakes he is using are PMB converted GT 6 calipers in the rear, and 911 Aluminum S calipers up front.

If I where to do another 6 conv I would use the OEM style Maddog mount setup which is a copy of the factory 6 mount.

That looks very nice. Better to say amazingly beautiful! Truly inspirational work. Thanks for verifying with your experience and recommendations.

QUOTE(SKL1 @ Sep 16 2021, 01:55 PM) *

If using the maddog mount, do people recommend the wevo or uro option?

Yes, perfect next question. You read my mind.

Dan
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:31 PM