Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> fuel pump plumbing, press reg back to fuel pump inlet?
jimkelly
post Jul 26 2005, 05:13 AM
Post #1

Delaware USA

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,460
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I have what we think is a fuel pump from a vw bus - it has one inlet (suction side) and one outlet (pressurized side). Can I run a fuel line from the pressure regulator back to the inlet side of my fuel pump - instead - of running tit all the way back to the fuel pump.

I have to take another look but I am not certain my car as a fuel return line in it going back to the fuel tank - is why I am asking.

Jim
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mihai914
post Jul 26 2005, 05:28 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 3,697
Region Association: None

On those style of pumps, the return goes directly to the gas tank not to a fuel pump port. Although I never tried what you want to do, my first impression is no since the factory would of done it that way to save costs. Plus if the system is closed like the one you describe, it's like having a sink with no sewer, the fuel will have nowhere to go so fuel pressure will be sky high. The car will run but very rich.
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Jul 26 2005, 06:25 AM
Post #3

Delaware USA

Member No.: 2,460
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I agree with you about the fuel having no place to go - I think it really needs to go into an empty space with no resistence - like the fuel tank.

I asked because I was told that if you put a finger over an orginal 914 fuel pump's fuel outlet nipple that fuel will come out of the fuel return inlet nipple of the fuel pump if fuel is feed to the fuel inlet nipple?? If this is true - the fuel return nipple and the fuel inlet nipple are connected inside the pump?

Regardless - I still feel going back to the tank is neccessary.

Thanks,

Jim
+Quote Post
aveale
post Jul 26 2005, 08:47 AM
Post #4

Fun Times

Member No.: 2,563

it has to pump the right pressure range (i think 35-50lbs).

what you do is not make it a closed circuit.

In from tank, out to jets, back to tank. Pretty easy (guess how I know about this.....)

T

+Quote Post
mihai914
post Jul 26 2005, 01:26 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 3,697
Region Association: None

The original 70-74 pumps had three nipples, one suction, one feed and a return, and of course it had the Y fitting and the bypass valve in case of everpressure. The one you are thinking of adapting is a different design, I ran a 944 turbo pump on the 914 and eventually got a kink in the line, ther result is real high pressure.

You need to have a fuel pump that will give you the minimum volume and pressure as a stock one. The main function of a fuel pump is volume (liters/hour). If the stock pump is designed to go up to 55 PSI and you put one that goes to 100, there is no problem with using it because the pressure regulator is what determinates the fuel pressure in the system. But if the pump can't push the needed amount of fuel then it won't be to good when the engine revs.

Something that you didn't mention is if you have carbs or FI, in the first situation you can't even use a FI pump anyways, if you will run FI then the return line is a must. The car will run if the return is blocked and it will sound actually pretty good but at over 60 psi of pressure you're just looking for an engine fire.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 11:29 AM