Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 914World Classifieds Rules

We've established the following rules to help make your sales/purchases as successful as possible!
- Please List WTB:, FS:, TRADE: etc (want to buy, for sale, and trade respectively) before your add title.
- You *must* put a price in your ad and state how you would like payment!
- If you'd like to bump your ads, feel free to do so every two days.
- DO NOT MAKE YOUR ADS IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS! It's considered rude.
- All eBay ads belong in the eBay category.
- Please consolidate your ads into one big lump... listings and pictures together in one thread. Please be considerate of other classified users!!
- Mark your items "SOLD" once you sell them. Please do not ask to have ads removed. Ads will automatically hide themselves after 30 days. We also ask that you leave your pricing in the ads to help others determine fair market value for future sales.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> WTB: 914 Rotisserie, Near Michigan
CSoso
post Oct 1 2021, 10:07 AM
Post #1

Over-analyzing one mistake at a time...

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,114
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Hey Everyone!
Am getting ready to start restoration of a '74 914 and am looking for an economical (or free! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)) rotisserie near lower Michigan from someone who's done with theirs. I could probably travel 4-6 hours from south-central MI to pick up. Would prefer to reuse one vice build new (but am open-minded if none available). Any help, hints, tips and suggestions are appreciated! I have done a rotisserie search on this site. Thank you!
Best regards,
Chris
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
friethmiller
post Oct 1 2021, 10:37 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 22,863
Region Association: Southwest Region

I built one from scratch based on a CAD drawing available from restoration design website (https://www.restoration-design.com/store/RSRE). It wasn't hard at all. I actually sold mine once I was done with it to guy about to restore his 914. I think I paid about $350 in metal and another $100 for some real wheels (casters). I strongly recommend welding up your own especially if you haven't been welding in a while (or ever). Here's a link to my rotisserie build pics (Rotisserie Pics)
+Quote Post
CSoso
post Oct 1 2021, 11:00 AM
Post #3

Awesome! Thank you for the links! I did not run across those in my search.
+Quote Post
friethmiller
post Oct 1 2021, 11:09 AM
Post #4

QUOTE(CSoso @ Oct 1 2021, 12:00 PM) *

Awesome! Thank you for the links! I did not run across those in my search.

Glad to help! I was in your same boat a few years ago. Some old-timers on this site advised me to make my own. So glad I did! My issue with the typical engine stand rotisserie was that my 914 was really rusted out and I was concerned about supporting the unibody as much as possible. I never flipped the car more than 90 degrees and it was typically sitting in a 45 degree configuration for my metal repairs. With this design you can remove the bars (up to two) to clear the area for you to work. With the metal on-hand and the right tools (i.e metal saw and welder) you can build this in one weekend. Good luck with what ever you decide to do.
+Quote Post
seanpaulmc
post Oct 1 2021, 11:31 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 20,649
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(friethmiller @ Oct 1 2021, 12:37 PM) *

I built one from scratch based on a CAD drawing available from restoration design website (https://www.restoration-design.com/store/RSRE). It wasn't hard at all. I actually sold mine once I was done with it to guy about to restore his 914. I think I paid about $350 in metal and another $100 for some real wheels (casters). I strongly recommend welding up your own especially if you haven't been welding in a while (or ever). Here's a link to my rotisserie build pics (Rotisserie Pics)

@friethmiller
How were the dimensions as-is? Any adjustments needed during construction / fit-up?

I've been considering this for a while. It's a fantastic solution for a rotisserie and takes up less space than the end to end type. Would be interested in hearing your feedback on the assembly to the car.

Thanks,
Sean
+Quote Post
CSoso
post Oct 1 2021, 12:18 PM
Post #6

@freithmiller

A few more questions to add:

1) Did you use the car's actual steering support and mount that to the rotisserie? Or did you get another and make it a permanent part of the rotisserie?
2) It seems like we should be able to bypass that and mount directly to the car. Or does the steering support add extra rigidity, etc.?
3) And does this style of rotisserie not require supports to keep the door jambs aligned? Or did I miss them in the pictures?

Thank you!
+Quote Post
friethmiller
post Oct 1 2021, 01:05 PM
Post #7

Addressing Questions:

To: seanpaulmc > 1) How were the dimensions as-is? Any adjustments needed during construction / fit-up?

Yes! Glad you asked 'cause I had forgotten. The design is backwards on the transmission mounts. I didn't realize this till after I welded it all together and had to cut and reweld the tabs - after flipping them around (see arrow). The rotisserie was pretty compact. I mean it makes the car wider (of course) but not longer. Keeping mind... rotating this rotisserie to 45 degrees is easy but going to 90 degrees takes 2 adults.

Attached Image

To CSoso:
1) Did you use the car's actual steering support and mount that to the rotisserie? Or did you get another and make it a permanent part of the rotisserie?

Yes, but I actually used one off my parts car. I recommend using a spare mount if you have one. The only reason I say this is because I wanted to send the support off to powder-coating and didn't want to wait till the car came off the rotisserie. The support doesn't need to "weld" to the rotisserie.

2) It seems like we should be able to bypass that and mount directly to the car. Or does the steering support add extra rigidity, etc.?

Man, good question. It does add a bit of rigidity over directly mounting, IMO. I think it would be way better to fabricate a brace that uses the same bolts (mounting points). I say this because it kind of got in the way later when I was undercoating/painting the bottom of the car. You need to keep in mind the height of the hoops relative to the car, though. The design is set so the car is level and pretty balanced front to back.

3) And does this style of rotisserie not require supports to keep the door jambs aligned? Or did I miss them in the pictures?

Oh, you certainly need door supports, regardless! And this is regardless of the type of rotisserie you employ too! I added additional cross and side supports right before I removed the floor pans and center-cross support (see arrows).

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
CSoso
post Oct 2 2021, 07:20 PM
Post #8

Great information and pictures! Thank you for all of the detailed answers! I’ll stop into my local metal supplier this week and pick up supplies. I do need to brush up on my welding, so this will be a great opportunity. Thank you again!
+Quote Post
friethmiller
post Oct 4 2021, 07:34 AM
Post #9

QUOTE(CSoso @ Oct 2 2021, 08:20 PM) *

Great information and pictures! Thank you for all of the detailed answers! I’ll stop into my local metal supplier this week and pick up supplies. I do need to brush up on my welding, so this will be a great opportunity. Thank you again!

You bet! Let us know how it went and post up pics when you're done
+Quote Post
CSoso
post Nov 11 2021, 04:19 PM
Post #10

For the record, I had my local metal supply quote the metal in standard lengths. They came in $1200+…. Am looking for other sources, so the project has ground to a halt.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Nov 11 2021, 05:59 PM
Post #11

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I would also put a wtb on pelican
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Nov 12 2021, 06:34 AM
Post #12

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(CSoso @ Nov 11 2021, 05:19 PM) *

For the record, I had my local metal supply quote the metal in standard lengths. They came in $1200+…. Am looking for other sources, so the project has ground to a halt.

You might want to consider a bulild cart (Jeff Hail cart dimensions can be found on this site) and/or a more conventional engine stand type rotisserie. Might use less steel.

I know steel and lumber went to the moon in 2021 but looking around online, that number doesn't seem correct unless you're having some oddball wall thickness quoted (0.125" is sufficient).

Call Metal Mart for a quote. This is where I sourced steel from for my build cart. Good guys that I've been using for 20 years. If they are way lower, its probably worth the drive. If they come in similar, you know your local guys aren't screwing you and it's a supply chain issue.

31164 Dequindre Rd, Warren, MI 48092

@CSoso
+Quote Post
CSoso
post Nov 15 2021, 10:43 PM
Post #13

Thanks for the hints and tips. Will be checking into the metal further, as well as the engine stand version. I have bought the 4x4’s and wheels for a cart. Would like the rotisserie for welding, etc. Thank you!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 06:49 PM