Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How green are our 914s?, How can we reduce their carbon footprint to preserve the species?
lesorubcheek
post Oct 3 2021, 04:31 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 25,463
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Oct 3 2021, 05:01 PM) *

Most 914's are extremely Green as they never see the road...... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
Perfect! Ours fits this case, and in addition has a good bit of green mold growing on it as well.

Dan
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Oct 3 2021, 04:57 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Oct 3 2021, 12:56 PM) *

I also read recently that e10 is 4% cleaner than pure gas. Given all the crap we have to deal with, replacing rubber fuel hoses, fuel pumps, injector seals, aluminum derogation, and greatly reduced MPGs, plus higher cattle feed costs, I say it's not worth it.

See that in so many other places…

"Environmentally friendly" wiring harnesses made disposable by rodents. Emissions controls systems that must be "ready" to be tested after being driven (and driven) in a certain way. Modern cars without dipsticks that must be driven for XX miles without the hood being opened before the oil level can be checked.

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Oct 3 2021, 12:56 PM) *

On the other hand, rooftop solar reduces our need to burn stuff for electricity which is a bigger win for all life.

This x1000.

The solar industry has done a terrible job in educating consumers. It took a 928 DIYer's garage expansion > looking into a whole-house generator to get us to consider solar + a home battery. Our rooftop setup was built to deliver 108% of our average use but is making ~170%, for about the same monthly bill (was estimated @ +$11~/month). No more rate hikes, and no more electricity bills after 2030. This is something a lot of people can do.

But I'd still love to clean up my 914's exhaust, too…
+Quote Post
Jamie
post Oct 3 2021, 05:10 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 2,939

I would like to see some environment enforcement to stop the fad among some diesel pickup drivers who modify their trucks to "roll coal" when they want to show off. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Oct 3 2021, 05:27 PM
Post #24

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

no dipsticks? Wow, new to me. Not doubting you. Is that throughout the industry or a specific manufacturer? Is the oil check complimentary? Or a book time bill service? I'm not planning on buying a new car. EVER.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Oct 3 2021, 06:01 PM
Post #25

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(Jamie @ Oct 3 2021, 07:10 PM) *

I would like to see some environment enforcement to stop the fad among some diesel pickup drivers who modify their trucks to "roll coal" when they want to show off. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)

Be careful, the knife cuts both ways. Next thing you know there will be a law that will affect your car.
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Oct 3 2021, 06:12 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

strangely cats increase CO2 emissions from the car engine.
by converting CO, NO etc into CO2 and a couple of other things including water vapour.

the purpose of the cats was to clean up urban air quality. CO2 was not thought to be so problematic in the 70s and 80s. was regarded as a "harmless" gas.
+Quote Post
NARP74
post Oct 3 2021, 06:16 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 24,549
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I saw a Tesla in an accident 2 days ago. The fire station was right across the street and arrived in record time. They could not clean up the scene, they had to wait for a hazmat team to show up. Had the street blocked for a long time. All things have a price...
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Oct 3 2021, 06:17 PM
Post #28

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Oct 3 2021, 07:27 PM) *

no dipsticks? Wow, new to me. Not doubting you. Is that throughout the industry or a specific manufacturer? Is the oil check complimentary? Or a book time bill service? I'm not planning on buying a new car. EVER.

I'm not a fan of no dipsticks.

My '08 and '14 BMW 328 do not have dipsticks and neither does my '13 Audi A4 although the A4 does have the tube for the dipstick with a cap on it.

One has to run a diagnostic routine after the car is warmed up to get an accurate reading on the oil level.
+Quote Post
Front yard mechanic
post Oct 3 2021, 08:21 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 18,984

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/yawn.gif)
+Quote Post
colingreene
post Oct 3 2021, 08:41 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 16,526
Region Association: Southern California

914 is pretty green as most of them are on jack stands, Right?
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Oct 3 2021, 09:12 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Oct 3 2021, 04:27 PM) *

No dipstick is one of the worst things about modern Porsches. Well, that, and the infuriatingly un-intuitive electronic e-brake and the lack of a spare tire. Fortunately, our other newer car, a Mazda, has only the e-e-brake…so it isn't all new cars. You can check your own oil in a modern Porsche via the dash—if the level is "ready to be measured." Sort of like the emissions test. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) Before leaving for AZ, it took 7-8 "errands" over five days to prompt the right conditions to measure my oil. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

What was that about green? 7-8 trips to…check the oil? Otoh, there's a lot to like about modern cars—with #1 being the safety.

This video came out in 2009, and was an eye-opener for me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHp1GAFQzto

But these comparisons drive the point home—safety tech moves fast:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TikJC0x65X0

Our family has seen more than its (un)fair share of loss due to drunk drivers, so I view daily drivers differently than I once did.
+Quote Post
partwerks
post Oct 3 2021, 09:20 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 6,787

HHO cell?
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Oct 3 2021, 09:35 PM
Post #33

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

There are crank triggered ignition systems being developed for stock 914s that will trigger the injectors as well, all monitored by A/F sensors and probably won't need a cat.
The Subaru conversions are already set up like that and if they're like mine before I pulled the engine and wiring harness, they're putting out less emissions than is Federally mandated. That's a green solution that gives the car more power as well.
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Oct 4 2021, 01:30 AM
Post #34

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

To answer the second question... smarter EFI. A system from the obd2 era (maf & o2). Our aircooled engines won't like the lean burn of this decades system.

Ideal for that would be shorty headers into a single pipe for the o2, then thru a cat and out the muffler. Means smaller heat exchangers but I recall they got plenty hot so no real loss.

With all those changes you take the 914 from a smog standard of 500/250 ppm to <1 on the sniffer test.

But if you are really serious about emissions you will need to do what Porsche did to meet 1997 standards and go watercooled.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Oct 4 2021, 05:49 AM
Post #35

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Oct 3 2021, 11:35 PM) *

There are crank triggered ignition systems being developed for stock 914s that will trigger the injectors as well, all monitored by A/F sensors and probably won't need a cat.
The Subaru conversions are already set up like that and if they're like mine before I pulled the engine and wiring harness, they're putting out less emissions than is Federally mandated. That's a green solution that gives the car more power as well.

The tech has been out there for at least 15 years for DIY fuel injection systems.
And I say 15 years as that's how long I've owned my 914 and been following the tech.

I'm not sure who is making the crankfire trigger wheels these days, but I have one on my 914 now, as well as full modern EFI running without a cat (but monitoring AFR with a wideband).

The difference between now and 15 years ago is the prevalence of CNC laser/waterjet/etc. cutters, CNC mills, and 3D printers available at the hobbiest level, and not only at a giant machine shop.

Zach
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Oct 4 2021, 07:17 AM
Post #36

Advanced Member

Inputs above remind me that my tired old Type IV was impressively clean in at least one of the measures—blowing right to the limit in one part of the emissions test but scarcely registering in another.

It was very impressive in terms of MPG, too, so I'm not sure I'd mess with a Type IV with factory FI (that's running right). Carbureted 914s, four or six, are another matter entirely…
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Oct 4 2021, 08:10 AM
Post #37

Member No.: 21,449

My '76 914 is a CA car, so it came with a CAT, and the CAT can is still in place. A PO had totally removed its contents.

Is a replacement CAT available for my car? I doubt it, but will check.

Even if it is available, I'm not getting one. Probably cost a fortune and wouldn't make enough difference.....

GN
+Quote Post
mate914
post Oct 4 2021, 08:41 AM
Post #38

Matt

Member No.: 10,102
Region Association: North East States

Admin Edit: Nope - keep the political BS out of this thread.

Matt (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
mate914
post Oct 4 2021, 08:48 AM
Post #39

Matt

This whole "green" thing is a cult of Government as your god.
Everly person in the world that plants and maintains life is GREEN.
Matt (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)
Ya, know like the corn belt? More Oxygen then the whole rain forest!
+Quote Post
mate914
post Oct 4 2021, 08:53 AM
Post #40

Matt

If you want to join this thread PLEASE stay factual and don’t turn political. Just the facts ma’am. says the man with the bigger stick?
+Quote Post

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 01:35 PM