Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How green are our 914s?, How can we reduce their carbon footprint to preserve the species?
sixnotfour
post Oct 6 2021, 07:23 PM
Post #61

914 Wizard

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

recycle it,,, by a bicycle... in the end that is
actually is worse..
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Oct 6 2021, 11:41 PM
Post #62

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Oct 6 2021, 05:43 PM) *

QUOTE(930cabman @ Oct 3 2021, 03:11 PM) *

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Oct 3 2021, 01:56 PM) *

1,000,000,000 (1 Billion) cars make up 4% of global emissions. Nothing we do matters.

If these stats are in fact true and nothing we do matters, there is little discussion.

My gut tells me may only be able to purchase electric vehicles at some point soon, maybe 20 - 30 years. At that point we should have more advanced e- technology.

Respectfully, I don't believe that data is accurate. Transportation is ~26% of the total, with road verticals being a highly significant portion of that at around 60%.

yep, think you might be right @Tdskip .

graph from BBC might be a simplification but generally speaking trustworthy.
(figures for jet travel refer to economy class seats, business is by a factor of 4 worse and don't ask re first class - is there such a thing as first class air travel anymore?). whichever way you look at it road transport is a big contributor. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

but the truth is we are not doing many miles.
one plane trip to europe (from aus) return = 1/2 the miles my 914 has done for its entire life as a piece of anachronistic recreational equipment.

i'm not up on the amount of imbedded energy in a car due to manufacturer.
off the top of my head i think it takes something like 10 years to offset that.
but my memory could be out. any car that gets junked under the period where its imbedded energy has been offset is not good. which gets back to mr. b's original point.
the best iphone is the one you have got.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Arno914
post Oct 7 2021, 12:44 AM
Post #63

Member No.: 24,260
Region Association: Germany

I have worked in the electric industry for about 30 years. Know what's going to happen when we are all forced into electric cars? You saw what happened in Texas during a cold snap right? Keep that 914 running cause you are going to need it.

Fully agree, Tom!

If anyone wants to watch the drama live, take a look at Germany. Energie prices exploding, several times a year close to a blackout. Carbon emmisions sharply on the rise - not despite, but because of the so called "Energiewende" (Turn to green energy.) By the end of next year shutdown of the last remaining 6 nuklear power plants. "We will all drive electric, yeah." (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif)

I am happy to drive my 20+ year old vehicles. Long been paid for, good gas mileage, smaller footprint. And reliable, too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Arno (going to by candles…)
+Quote Post
TomE
post Oct 7 2021, 07:27 AM
Post #64

Member No.: 23,839
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Arno914 @ Oct 7 2021, 12:44 AM) *

I have worked in the electric industry for about 30 years. Know what's going to happen when we are all forced into electric cars? You saw what happened in Texas during a cold snap right? Keep that 914 running cause you are going to need it.

Fully agree, Tom!

If anyone wants to watch the drama live, take a look at Germany. Energie prices exploding, several times a year close to a blackout. Carbon emmisions sharply on the rise - not despite, but because of the so called "Energiewende" (Turn to green energy.) By the end of next year shutdown of the last remaining 6 nuklear power plants. "We will all drive electric, yeah." (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif)

I am happy to drive my 20+ year old vehicles. Long been paid for, good gas mileage, smaller footprint. And reliable, too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Arno (going to by candles…)

The media in this country is keeping the mess in Europe out of the news as much as possible. The US does not have anywhere near the infrastructure to power an all electric fleet. People have no clue how close we come in the heat of the summer to problems. No new power plants being built and no new electric grid being built or upgraded to handle the power needed. Sorry, with todays technology windmills and solar won't cut it. Now Hydro is a different story.
+Quote Post
914e
post Oct 7 2021, 08:50 AM
Post #65

Member No.: 23,951
Region Association: Southwest Region

What is often overlooked and what energy companies fear is that if you don't like the price of electricity you can now make your own. With few months of research and reading, then buying a few tools about anyone can install an array. This puts a cap on how much they can charge in the long term. Solar, wind and batteries can also be distributed, as well as modular.
If your half your neighborhood installs solar and in some case batteries not a single thing needs to done to the grid. You are reducing the power you are taking from the grid.
Technically you could build and expand your system a piece at a time.

Phoenix alone with solar on every rooftop and parking lot could power the whole country with power to spare. It would be the completely wrong way to design it, but we would welcome the shade.

On the utility scale solar and wind starts producing power within weeks of breaking ground they just turn it on as they go. It is modular they don't have to spend a decade building it before they get any power.
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Oct 7 2021, 08:53 AM
Post #66

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21,666

QUOTE(Arno914 @ Oct 7 2021, 01:44 AM) *

Carbon emmisions sharply on the rise - not despite, but because of the so called "Energiewende" (Turn to green energy.) By the end of next year shutdown of the last remaining 6 nuklear power plants. "We will all drive electric, yeah." (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif)

You may want to double check your data;

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Oct 7 2021, 08:56 AM
Post #67

Advanced Member

QUOTE(TomE @ Oct 7 2021, 08:27 AM) *

The media in this country is keeping the mess in Europe out of the news as much as possible.

Empirically speaking that is not an accurate statement;

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Oct 7 2021, 08:58 AM
Post #68

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Wife and I did our 5 year stint in Seattle, lived and worked around the downtown area. Walked, biked or Bussed to work and had just one car that we hardly drove.

That was a great time (before homeless overran the area).

I still believe a persons carbon footprint is mostly a choice of lifestyle.

I say this while now owning 6 cars, an airplane and 2 stroke yard machines along with riding mower. Sheese, clearly I know what my carbon footprint has become!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Oct 7 2021, 08:58 AM
Post #69

Advanced Member

QUOTE(TomE @ Oct 6 2021, 03:14 PM) *

You saw what happened in Texas during a cold snap right?

@TomE - it is a substantially inaccurate assertion to suggest renewables caused the Texas mess.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Oct 7 2021, 09:34 AM
Post #70

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Oct 6 2021, 07:49 PM) *

QUOTE(mate914 @ Oct 4 2021, 09:48 AM) *

This whole "green" thing is a cult of Government as your god.

If you want to join this thread PLEASE stay factual and don’t turn political

Struggling a bit to reconcile these two statements.

There have been at least two admins editing Mate's posts, is my guess.
Zach
+Quote Post
sb914
post Oct 7 2021, 10:21 AM
Post #71

Surf Guru

Member No.: 15,191
Region Association: Southern California

Attached Image green !
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Oct 7 2021, 10:23 AM
Post #72

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Arno914 @ Oct 7 2021, 12:44 AM) *

By the end of next year shutdown of the last remaining 6 nuklear power plants.

This is as close to politics as I care to go but I strongly believe the failure of the environmental community to acknowledge nuclear as an important part of the carbon emissions solution has dragged this crisis on longer than it should, and guaranteed greater environmental consequences. I like renewables (getting ready to put solar on our house), but there are no silver bullets here. Even renewables take their pound of flesh from the environment.

And our electric grid works just fine through Montana winters. The Texas fiasco was simply a failure to harden the system.
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Oct 7 2021, 10:53 AM
Post #73

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

Texas happened because the Gas provider was on a program to reduce electricity use during peak times and the system automatically cut their power thus resulting in a supply shortage.

The problem in our world is nobody provides unbiased data. The highly promoted "news" is someone controlling the narrative.
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Oct 7 2021, 10:54 AM
Post #74

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(bbrock @ Oct 7 2021, 11:23 AM) *

I like renewables (getting ready to put solar on our house), but there are no silver bullets here. Even renewables take their pound of flesh from the environment.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) A lot of people miss this both on the full renewables and low carbon fuels sides. Particularly those H2-fueled power plant crazies...(I say this in the nicest way as a guy who has spent nearly my whole career on hydrogen and emissions reduction technology)

QUOTE(bbrock @ Oct 7 2021, 11:23 AM) *

And our electric grid works just fine through Montana winters. The Texas fiasco was simply a failure to harden the system.

Also (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) The Texas grid (electric and NG) is a mess. It's my understanding that it's uncertain that NG supplies can even keep up in a winter storm of 2021 magnitude, even without cold-related failures.

From what I've seen/heard, MT and SD in particular are both pretty good, as is most of that north-central portion of the country. Though full disclosure NWE does effectively pay a good bit of my salary. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Oct 7 2021, 11:43 AM
Post #75

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Oct 7 2021, 12:53 PM) *

The problem in our world is nobody provides unbiased data.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) x 1000

The whole situation is (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif)

Never in the history of the world has so much information been available and people so ignorant about what's actually going on. And yes, I include myself in that statement. I wish I had the time and energy to become an expert on every topic but I don't.

To top that off, the "experts" are not trustworthy either.

Takes 10x longer than it should to assess data becuase you have to question who privided it in the 1st place and then cross correlate it to servaral other independent sources before you even have any hope of taking it at face value.

+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Oct 7 2021, 12:10 PM
Post #76

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Oct 7 2021, 11:53 AM) *

Texas happened because the Gas provider was on a program to reduce electricity use during peak times and the system automatically cut their power thus resulting in a supply shortage.

The problem in our world is nobody provides unbiased data. The highly promoted "news" is someone controlling the narrative.

That is not factual accurate, and I don’t believe spinning into conspiracy theory is helpful in any manner.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
TomE
post Oct 7 2021, 12:18 PM
Post #77

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Oct 7 2021, 08:58 AM) *

QUOTE(TomE @ Oct 6 2021, 03:14 PM) *

You saw what happened in Texas during a cold snap right?

@TomE - it is a substantially inaccurate assertion to suggest renewables caused the Texas mess.

Attached Image

Attached Image

TomE - it is a substantially inaccurate assertion to suggest renewables caused the Texas mess. It is substantially inaccurate to suggest I said renewables caused the Texas mess? LOL Not sure where you read that into what I said but are about as wrong as you can be. Not enough capacity to handle the sharp change in temperature is what caused the mess in Texas and YES renewables were absolutely part of that! We can't sustain our grid by having just enough. Peaking plants run by natural gas and dare I say it? Oil are absolutely necessary because they can be brought up to full power very quickly.
+Quote Post
TomE
post Oct 7 2021, 12:19 PM
Post #78

QUOTE(sb914 @ Oct 7 2021, 10:21 AM) *

Attached Image green !
Sweet!
+Quote Post
lesorubcheek
post Oct 7 2021, 12:28 PM
Post #79

Member No.: 25,463
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Oct 7 2021, 10:34 AM) *

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Oct 6 2021, 07:49 PM) *

This whole "green" thing is a cult of Government as your god.

If you want to join this thread PLEASE stay factual and don’t turn political

Struggling a bit to reconcile these two statements.

There have been at least two admins editing Mate's posts, is my guess.
Zach

... and, even though personally I find many of these posts humorous, if it's truly the desire of admins to restrict gettin' political, half or more posts in this thread fit that description, yet have not been edited. Really gives a newcomer the feeling of a certain political bias around here.

Dan
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Oct 7 2021, 12:31 PM
Post #80

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(lesorubcheek @ Oct 7 2021, 02:28 PM) *

Really gives a newcomer the feeling of a certain political bias around here.

Dan

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

In Admin's defense, it's a hard balance. I've pushed some boundaries pretty hard and I don't think I've ever had a post completely deleted or edited.
+Quote Post

5 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 04:29 AM