Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

50 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> First of the Texas Twins, First Build
Puebloswatcop
post Oct 6 2021, 05:31 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,258
Region Association: Southwest Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) So I finally got the first of the two Texas Twins down from Colorado down here to Texas and cant wait to get started on the build. I first obtained this 914 as a parts car back in 2010. After getting it home, I realized it was actually in better shape than the one I already owned. The first one is a 1973, 2.0. This one was a 1974 1.8 in Ravenna Green. Unfortunately I never was able to make allot of time to play with the car, so it sat in my overcrowded garage in Colorado.

Since I retired and moved to Texas, the wife said I had better find something to do and stay out from under her feet, so last week I made the treck to Colorado and brought the first of 3 914s back. (the 3rd really is a parts chassis).

The car was on a rolling frame so was easy to get onto the trailer, problem is it had to be lowered enough to fit inside a four foot cover to be added onto the trailer, so first we had to raise it high enough to get it off the rolling frame.

Attached Image

Then it had to be carefully lowered to where the car was sitting on 4 X 4 blocks so it would be lower than 4 feet high and secured to the trailer. It came in at around 3'8" when done.

Attached Image

Then the shipping crate was built over and around the car. The trip was long and went well till I got about 10 miles from home and disaster struck.

Attached Image

A catastrphic loss of one tire on the trailer. Thanks to a good samaritan who flagged me down, because I never heard or felt a thing. Also a testament to Top Hat Trailer Company, the trailer was slightly damaged but did not roll, in fact it rode so smooth that I never new the tire had gone away. Of course...no spare for the trailer, so I limped the last 10 miles at 15 miles per hour.

Attached Image

So 16 hours of driving and now one of my babies is here in Texas and the work shall begin.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
9146C
post Oct 6 2021, 05:44 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 23,460
Region Association: None

Happy to hear you're about to start your projects!

Good luck! Looks like a great starting point!
+Quote Post
Jamie
post Oct 6 2021, 06:50 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 2,939
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Puebloswatcop @ Oct 6 2021, 03:31 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) So I finally got the first of the two Texas Twins down from Colorado down here to Texas and cant wait to get started on the build. I first obtained this 914 as a parts car back in 2010. After getting it home, I realized it was actually in better shape than the one I already owned. The first one is a 1973, 2.0. This one was a 1974 1.8 in Ravenna Green. Unfortunately I never was able to make allot of time to play with the car, so it sat in my overcrowded garage in Colorado.

Since I retired and moved to Texas, the wife said I had better find something to do and stay out from under her feet, so last week I made the treck to Colorado and brought the first of 3 914s back. (the 3rd really is a parts chassis).

The car was on a rolling frame so was easy to get onto the trailer, problem is it had to be lowered enough to fit inside a four foot cover to be added onto the trailer, so first we had to raise it high enough to get it off the rolling frame.

Then it had to be carefully lowered to where the car was sitting on 4 X 4 blocks so it would be lower than 4 feet high and secured to the trailer. It came in at around 3'8" when done.

Then the shipping crate was built over and around the car. The trip was long and went well till I got about 10 miles from home and disaster struck.

A catastrphic loss of one tire on the trailer. Thanks to a good samaritan who flagged me down, because I never heard or felt a thing. Also a testament to Top Hat Trailer Company, the trailer was slightly damaged but did not roll, in fact it rode so smooth that I never new the tire had gone away. Of course...no spare for the trailer, so I limped the last 10 miles at 15 miles per hour.

So 16 hours of driving and now one of my babies is here in Texas and the work shall begin.

From the appearance of the other tire wear, looks like you need to invest in new trailer tires all around! :confused:Isn't that a spare mounted on the other side of the trailer in an above photo?
+Quote Post
Literati914
post Oct 6 2021, 07:08 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 7,222

Awesome, gonna be more 914s in the DFW area! I’m in Dallas with a couple projects working also. What are your plans with the front wheel arches, your plans in general with it? I’m somewhat local to you and would love to see the cars at some point as the projects progress. If I can be of some help, don’t hesitate to reach out. Good luck and keep posting your progress (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

+Quote Post
nivekdodge
post Oct 6 2021, 07:51 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 25,860
Region Association: None

isn't that a spare in the fist pic?
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Oct 7 2021, 06:00 AM
Post #6

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

There is a large contingent of 914 people here in the north Texas area. I am very close to DFW airport. So if you need anything, just holler. I have been working on these little cars for over 34 years. And I have lots of spares.

Mineola is not that far from here.

Clay
+Quote Post
Shivers
post Oct 7 2021, 06:24 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 24,781
Region Association: Southern California

Glad you made it safe. Welcome
+Quote Post
Puebloswatcop
post Oct 7 2021, 06:27 AM
Post #8

QUOTE(Jamie @ Oct 6 2021, 05:50 PM) *

QUOTE(Puebloswatcop @ Oct 6 2021, 03:31 PM) *

From the appearance of the other tire wear, looks like you need to invest in new trailer tires all around! :confused:Isn't that a spare mounted on the other side of the trailer in an above photo?

Yes Jamie, it is on there, however it had suffered a puncture to the sidewall on the trip up, so was flat....It was just not a profitable trip as far as the trailer went...lol.
+Quote Post
Puebloswatcop
post Oct 7 2021, 06:36 AM
Post #9

Wow,

I did not know there were as many 914ers in this area, that is great to know. Would enjoy meeting some of my 914 neighbors in the near future.

So as far as plans for the car....As you can see the front wheel arch has already been cut out for the fender flare. While in Colorado I had started those and the two on the other side are partially installed. I had also reconstructed the infamous hell hole. So now I will complete the other two flares and then it will be on to other minor body repairs. The good thing about this car is the longs were rock solid. So most of the work is going to be minor sheetmetal repair.

I so want to convert it to a six cylinder, however on my retirement salary that doesnt seem very likely, so will probably just upsize the four to a 2056 and be happy with it.

But for now at least the adventure begins....
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Oct 7 2021, 07:10 AM
Post #10

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Glad you made it OK, but come on brother, put a full set of new tires on that trailer, including a new spare. I know you know better. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) Congratulations on getting that car home though. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Puebloswatcop
post Oct 7 2021, 09:27 AM
Post #11

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Oct 7 2021, 06:10 AM) *

Glad you made it OK, but come on brother, put a full set of new tires on that trailer, including a new spare. I know you know better. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) Congratulations on getting that car home though. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

They really didnt look so bad when I left. But believe me, they are all getting replaced with radials. No more bias tires. I am taking the whole trailer in to be serviced since the factory is close by. I did almost feel ashamed to post my failure because I knew I would take a ribbing, but It was definately my bad....lol (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Oct 7 2021, 09:38 AM
Post #12

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I know this must have been a lot of trauma for you but it makes a great start to your car story.
+Quote Post
Puebloswatcop
post Oct 7 2021, 09:50 AM
Post #13

So now that I made it to Texas, It was time to unload the 914, This view showes how the shipping container was built around the car. It was a tight fit, but she was well protected.

Attached Image

It took about 5 hours to uncrate the car, raise it back onto jack stands and get it loaded onto the rolling cart and moved into the garage, but she is in her new home.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
76-914
post Oct 7 2021, 10:02 AM
Post #14

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Great story and a great new location. Is that American Flag touching the ground in that last pic? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Oct 7 2021, 11:20 AM
Post #15

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Great story and adventure, can't wait to see this projects progress!
+Quote Post
Puebloswatcop
post Oct 7 2021, 12:28 PM
Post #16

QUOTE(76-914 @ Oct 7 2021, 09:02 AM) *

Great story and a great new location. Is that American Flag touching the ground in that last pic? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

No Sir, The flag is actually folded on a chair. It is awaiting a boyscout retirement ceremony. I know when I looked at my picture I was appauled, then went back out to the garage to look too. It was on the chair, just a piece of scrap paper on the floor.
+Quote Post
Puebloswatcop
post Oct 7 2021, 02:37 PM
Post #17

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) So spent the day unpacking a truckload of parts as well as unpacking all of the loose parts that were stored in the car during shipping. Didn't know you could fit so many parts into such a small car. The wife was kinda ticked when she found out we pushed the car into the garage with all of that extra weight in it....lol

Attached Image

Attached Image

Then I had to find a place to put everything away, since the hot rod cant sit outside. Quickly running low on space for now. In march they hopefully will start on my new shop.
+Quote Post
Puebloswatcop
post Oct 8 2021, 09:28 AM
Post #18

Spent the remainder of yesterday removing the layers of Colorado dust and dirt from everywhere in the car. then started re-assessing what has been started and what needs to be done, body wise. All in all it is a pretty solid car.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Puebloswatcop
post Oct 8 2021, 09:33 AM
Post #19

The headlight buckets are in pretty good shape. The passenger side shows some signs of damage, but the fender does not appear to have been replaced, so maybe tire damage?
The weather seal channel needs attention all the way around.

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Puebloswatcop
post Oct 8 2021, 09:33 AM
Post #20

Front Trunk isnt to bad, some rust that isnt to deep, and the spair tire hold down bracket is missing????

Attached Image
+Quote Post

50 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:12 AM