Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs
 
914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!
 
Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.
 

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> First of the Texas Twins, First Build
Puebloswatcop
post Oct 6 2021, 05:31 PM
Post #1


Senior Member
***

Group: Members
Posts: 1,751
Joined: 27-December 14
From: Mineola, Texas
Member No.: 18,258
Region Association: Southwest Region



(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) So I finally got the first of the two Texas Twins down from Colorado down here to Texas and cant wait to get started on the build. I first obtained this 914 as a parts car back in 2010. After getting it home, I realized it was actually in better shape than the one I already owned. The first one is a 1973, 2.0. This one was a 1974 1.8 in Ravenna Green. Unfortunately I never was able to make allot of time to play with the car, so it sat in my overcrowded garage in Colorado.

Since I retired and moved to Texas, the wife said I had better find something to do and stay out from under her feet, so last week I made the treck to Colorado and brought the first of 3 914s back. (the 3rd really is a parts chassis).

The car was on a rolling frame so was easy to get onto the trailer, problem is it had to be lowered enough to fit inside a four foot cover to be added onto the trailer, so first we had to raise it high enough to get it off the rolling frame.

Attached Image

Then it had to be carefully lowered to where the car was sitting on 4 X 4 blocks so it would be lower than 4 feet high and secured to the trailer. It came in at around 3'8" when done.

Attached Image

Then the shipping crate was built over and around the car. The trip was long and went well till I got about 10 miles from home and disaster struck.

Attached Image

A catastrphic loss of one tire on the trailer. Thanks to a good samaritan who flagged me down, because I never heard or felt a thing. Also a testament to Top Hat Trailer Company, the trailer was slightly damaged but did not roll, in fact it rode so smooth that I never new the tire had gone away. Of course...no spare for the trailer, so I limped the last 10 miles at 15 miles per hour.

Attached Image

So 16 hours of driving and now one of my babies is here in Texas and the work shall begin.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
65 Pages V « < 63 64 65  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1280 - 1281)
Puebloswatcop
post Oct 4 2026, 03:02 PM
Post #1281


Senior Member
***

Group: Members
Posts: 1,751
Joined: 27-December 14
From: Mineola, Texas
Member No.: 18,258
Region Association: Southwest Region



Well another of lifes setbacks have made working on this car nearly impossible, had to have shoulder replacement surgery, so absolutely zero use of the right arm. But in an attempt to finishe the bumper, I tried to tackle it with just my left hand. having no left hand coordination, it was quite apparent that i was doing more damage than good.

So I decided to have a look at fixing one of my main wiring harnesses. So I broke out one I obtained from a 1973, that was relatively un-molested. I say relatively, because I don't believe there is such a thing as a totally unmolested harness, unless a person was the original owner, and took it to Posche, to have things fixed.

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Puebloswatcop
post Oct 4 2026, 03:09 PM
Post #1282


Senior Member
***

Group: Members
Posts: 1,751
Joined: 27-December 14
From: Mineola, Texas
Member No.: 18,258
Region Association: Southwest Region



I decided to stretch the harness out on the floor, and devide it into three segments, Tunnel back, Under Dash (Guage cluster, radio, etc), and everything foward of the front firewall.

Attached Image Attached Image

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

65 Pages V « < 63 64 65
Reply to this topicStart new topic
12 User(s) are reading this topic (12 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

 



- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th October 2026 - 10:55 PM
...