Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

51 Pages V « < 13 14 15 16 17 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> First of the Texas Twins, First Build
Puebloswatcop
post Dec 31 2021, 06:01 PM
Post #281

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,258
Region Association: Southwest Region

I used carburetor cleaner and was able to remove allot of the adhesive. But had to quit because I couldn't open the garage door.

So I guess we will call it a year and go drink beer. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
Hope everyone has a great and safe new years eve, and a happy new year.

Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Luke M
post Dec 31 2021, 06:13 PM
Post #282

Member No.: 3,574
Region Association: North East States

I can tell you that after having my brothers 914 blasted it did not remove the seam sealer. My brother removed some from the front trunk but left the area under the cowl alone. The blasting didn't touch the seam sealer at all. The blasting sorta cleaned the areas where he used the heat gun and scraper. He had to go back and hit the areas with a wire wheel to remove it all. As for seam sealer we used a product called Sure Seal. It comes in a calk gun tube then we spread it with a hard bristle brush. We also used epoxy primer in the areas prior to adding the seam sealer.

Car looks great. I know installing flares can be a pain to get just right.
+Quote Post
Puebloswatcop
post Dec 31 2021, 06:38 PM
Post #283

QUOTE(Luke M @ Dec 31 2021, 06:13 PM) *

I can tell you that after having my brothers 914 blasted it did not remove the seam sealer. My brother removed some from the front trunk but left the area under the cowl alone. The blasting didn't touch the seam sealer at all. The blasting sorta cleaned the areas where he used the heat gun and scraper. He had to go back and hit the areas with a wire wheel to remove it all. As for seam sealer we used a product called Sure Seal. It comes in a calk gun tube then we spread it with a hard bristle brush. We also used epoxy primer in the areas prior to adding the seam sealer.

Thanks Luke. I noticed in all the posts that the seam sealer stays intact, but I really hope the tar coating will come off. I started sealing the floor plugs etc., with Tiger seal from Upol, but the tubes I got were old so it was very difficult to use, so I returned them. How did you like the sure seal, and do you know who makes it? I am planning on doing the 2 part Epoxy primer as well.
+Quote Post
Luke M
post Jan 1 2022, 09:56 AM
Post #284

Member No.: 3,574
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Puebloswatcop @ Dec 31 2021, 05:38 PM) *

Thanks Luke. I noticed in all the posts that the seam sealer stays intact, but I really hope the tar coating will come off. I started sealing the floor plugs etc., with Tiger seal from Upol, but the tubes I got were old so it was very difficult to use, so I returned them. How did you like the sure seal, and do you know who makes it? I am planning on doing the 2 part Epoxy primer as well.

It's called Dominion Sure Seal LTD. Made in Canada
Code : 9002 , Stock : CSW
I picked up the tubes at a local auto paint supply store.

Spread pretty well. I used the calk gun to apply and my brother behind me spreading it around. Dipped brush in mineral spirits to keep the sealer from sticking to the brush. After a while went to the finger spreading method.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Dries fairly quick too but we let it cure 24 hrs before painting over it.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Puebloswatcop
post Jan 1 2022, 10:09 AM
Post #285

QUOTE(Luke M @ Jan 1 2022, 09:56 AM) *

QUOTE(Puebloswatcop @ Dec 31 2021, 05:38 PM) *

It's called Dominion Sure Seal LTD. Made in Canada
Code : 9002 , Stock : CSW
I picked up the tubes at a local auto paint supply store.

Spread pretty well. I used the calk gun to apply and my brother behind me spreading it around. Dipped brush in mineral spirits to keep the sealer from sticking to the brush. After a while went to the finger spreading method.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Dries fairly quick too but we let it cure 24 hrs before painting over it.

Thanks Luke. I will check at my local paint supply. Thanks for the input. Happy new Year.
+Quote Post
Puebloswatcop
post Jan 5 2022, 03:20 PM
Post #286

Finally got a day where I could move the hot rod outside, so back to work on the 914.

Finished installing the rear frame stiffeners, then coated it with some primer to fend off the rust.

+Quote Post
Puebloswatcop
post Jan 5 2022, 03:24 PM
Post #287

Then spent the rest of the day grinding and sanding the welds on all 4 fender flares. They are all installed and ready for body work.

+Quote Post
Puebloswatcop
post Jan 5 2022, 03:25 PM
Post #288

Cross 2 more items off of the white board

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Puebloswatcop
post Jan 6 2022, 06:02 PM
Post #289

So, since I am waiting on my seat hinge brackets fron RD, I decided to finish up my trailing arms. I had already started boxing them before leaving Colorado, so it was pretty much a matter of cleaning up the welds and cleaning them up... I do have to press the shaft and bushings out of one of them before sending them to powder coater.

I am amazed how quickly things rust here. These sat in the garage in Colorado for a couple of years with no paint on them... and no rust. A few months in Texas and they need blasting.

+Quote Post
Puebloswatcop
post Jan 6 2022, 06:04 PM
Post #290

So spent a couple of hours finishing up the welds and then grinding everything smooth.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Puebloswatcop
post Jan 6 2022, 06:06 PM
Post #291

Then re-blasted everything in prep for the powder coating.

+Quote Post
Puebloswatcop
post Jan 6 2022, 06:09 PM
Post #292

Then I spent the rest of the day doing the thankless chore of cleaning my blast cabinet. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif) Most of the media was gone and replaced with tons of rust and paint dust. So cleaned it out and replaced with new blast media....ready to clean more Porsche 914 parts......
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Jan 6 2022, 09:53 PM
Post #293

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Puebloswatcop @ Jan 6 2022, 05:02 PM) *

So, since I am waiting on my seat hinge brackets fron RD, I decided to finish up my trailing arms. I had already started boxing them before leaving Colorado, so it was pretty much a matter of cleaning up the welds and cleaning them up... I do have to press the shaft and bushings out of one of them before sending them to powder coater.

I am amazed how quickly things rust here. These sat in the garage in Colorado for a couple of years with no paint on them... and no rust. A few months in Texas and they need blasting.

Give them a few more months and they will grow mold. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif)

I do not miss the climate of Texas.
+Quote Post
Puebloswatcop
post Jan 7 2022, 06:48 PM
Post #294

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jan 6 2022, 09:53 PM) *

QUOTE(Puebloswatcop @ Jan 6 2022, 05:02 PM) *

Give them a few more months and they will grow mold. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif)

I do not miss the climate of Texas.

No doubt Bob. The one thing I do miss about Colorado is you could take a step forward (metal work wise) and it stayed there, even if you had to take a months long break....Here you don't dare leave it for anu more than a few days or you've gone two steps backward....
+Quote Post
Puebloswatcop
post Jan 8 2022, 03:45 PM
Post #295

If there is one nasty, dirty job that you would like to do to your 914 on a rainy (or snowy) day when you can't be outside, this is the job. Stripping, cleaning and repacking your rear axle CV Joints. I have 2 sets here, plus one extra that I don't have a clue where it came from.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Puebloswatcop
post Jan 8 2022, 03:47 PM
Post #296

So we can start with the extra. Someone took the time to tape it up with several layers of masking tape to hold all the pieces in. If you have ever tried to remove ancient masking tape, you know what I mean when I say it sucks... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) But at least this one is a throw away....

+Quote Post
Puebloswatcop
post Jan 8 2022, 03:59 PM
Post #297

I will go into detail tomorrow as to tear down and cleaning and re-assembly, but this is a good representation of the parts in each of the CV joints, for any of you who have never had the desire to do this nasty job. Of course this one is garbage. Parts are very badly worn and rust has taken its toll, but I didn't have to clean off a quarter pound of grease to show the parts.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Puebloswatcop
post Jan 8 2022, 04:11 PM
Post #298

Now I'll show you what is inside a used (or new) CV joint. Be prepared for a royal mess. Have tons of rags, parts cleaner and lots of gloves or be prepared to wash your hands every 5 minutes, and take my word for it, don't let your wife catch you washing your hands in any sink in her house.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Puebloswatcop
post Jan 8 2022, 04:14 PM
Post #299

I dis-assembled the transmission end first. As you can see, the grease in here is thick and is as black as charcoal...

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Puebloswatcop
post Jan 8 2022, 04:16 PM
Post #300

And it sticks to everything.....I guarantee, you want to be wearing gloves.

Attached Image

+Quote Post

51 Pages V « < 13 14 15 16 17 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd June 2024 - 11:17 AM