Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> First of the Texas Twins, First Build
Puebloswatcop
post Oct 6 2021, 05:31 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,258
Region Association: Southwest Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) So I finally got the first of the two Texas Twins down from Colorado down here to Texas and cant wait to get started on the build. I first obtained this 914 as a parts car back in 2010. After getting it home, I realized it was actually in better shape than the one I already owned. The first one is a 1973, 2.0. This one was a 1974 1.8 in Ravenna Green. Unfortunately I never was able to make allot of time to play with the car, so it sat in my overcrowded garage in Colorado.

Since I retired and moved to Texas, the wife said I had better find something to do and stay out from under her feet, so last week I made the treck to Colorado and brought the first of 3 914s back. (the 3rd really is a parts chassis).

The car was on a rolling frame so was easy to get onto the trailer, problem is it had to be lowered enough to fit inside a four foot cover to be added onto the trailer, so first we had to raise it high enough to get it off the rolling frame.

Attached Image

Then it had to be carefully lowered to where the car was sitting on 4 X 4 blocks so it would be lower than 4 feet high and secured to the trailer. It came in at around 3'8" when done.

Attached Image

Then the shipping crate was built over and around the car. The trip was long and went well till I got about 10 miles from home and disaster struck.

Attached Image

A catastrphic loss of one tire on the trailer. Thanks to a good samaritan who flagged me down, because I never heard or felt a thing. Also a testament to Top Hat Trailer Company, the trailer was slightly damaged but did not roll, in fact it rode so smooth that I never new the tire had gone away. Of course...no spare for the trailer, so I limped the last 10 miles at 15 miles per hour.

Attached Image

So 16 hours of driving and now one of my babies is here in Texas and the work shall begin.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
51 Pages V « < 14 15 16 17 18 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(300 - 319)
Puebloswatcop
post Jan 8 2022, 04:18 PM
Post #301

But after wiping them with several rags, most of the goo is gone so you can inspect the individual parts...

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Puebloswatcop
post Jan 8 2022, 04:20 PM
Post #302

Just a quick look at the outer race (housing) and you can see it showes very little wear.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Puebloswatcop
post Jan 8 2022, 04:27 PM
Post #303

For the ease of cleaning and not losing parts I reassembled the CV joint and dropped it into a can of diesel for the night.

Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Puebloswatcop
post Jan 8 2022, 04:30 PM
Post #304

As you can see, after cleaning just 1 CV joint, it creates allot of greasy rags and a couple of pairs of gloves....If you are inclined to do this nasty chore for yourself I will post the step by step outline tomorrow since it is going to be another rainy day in Texas....

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Puebloswatcop
post Jan 9 2022, 11:58 AM
Post #305

So I know I said I would post the step by step on how to rebuild your CV joints on your rear axles. However I don't believe in re-inventing the wheel, and I see that Ian Karr has already done a great video on the subject. I guarantee Ian is allot more fun to watch than people listening to me ramble. Here is the link:

https://youtu.be/F-5Xpug52Qw

The only thing I would recommend is when you remove the stub axle, is to partially thread the bolts back into the holes and use a soft hammer (I prefer a plastic end) to tap the stub axle loose rather than use a screwdriver. I can't tell you the number of joints that I have seen that are all gouged up because of screwdriver use.

The other thing is to pay close attention to getting the narrow part of the cage alligned with the wide part of the housing. Believe it or not it can be assembled with the narrow and wide parts alligned, but if you run it that way on your car it will destroy the the joint and probably allot of other things in the process.

Attached Image

The best way to insure you have it correct is to see if you can deflect the cage in and out of the housing (both ways) without it falling out. If you can't deflect the cage, look closely and you probably have the wide portions alligned with the large and the small with the small.....

+Quote Post
Literati914
post Jan 9 2022, 12:07 PM
Post #306

Member No.: 7,222

Good tips, another job I'll be benefitting from you doing first ! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Puebloswatcop
post Jan 14 2022, 09:09 AM
Post #307

Well after a totally wasted day yesterday searching for a lost animal, I am back at it today. Spent the past few days cleaning parts and finshed blasting a bunch for powder coating.

Attached Image

Hopefully the parts I am waiting on will be delivered today and I can get back to work....and if you were wondering the animal in question decided to return on his own when he got hungry...
+Quote Post
Puebloswatcop
post Jan 15 2022, 07:48 AM
Post #308

While I was waiting I decided to tear down the last 2 axle sets that I have. These were from my 1973 fireball parts car. As you can see, there is some fire damage to the boots, but it doesnt appear to have caused extensive damage to the actual axle assemblies.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Puebloswatcop
post Jan 15 2022, 08:09 AM
Post #309

After tearing down the first joint, the one with the most heat exposure, I was fairly pleased with what I saw. The cage and bearings were in pretty good shape. They dont appear to have any heat damage. Some of the ball bearings have some discoloration from being exposed to moisture, but I have several extras.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Puebloswatcop
post Jan 15 2022, 08:14 AM
Post #310

The housing and inner race show no signs of heat damage and are in remarkably good shape, probably because the car had not been used all the years after the engine fire....But I don't know exactly when that happened. Change found in the car was from the early 80's, so I am guessing somewhere around that time.

+Quote Post
Puebloswatcop
post Jan 15 2022, 08:17 AM
Post #311

I also chased the mounting threads on all of the stub axles I have. A couple of them have some minor thread damage on the end threads of the stubs, so I will order a die and clean those up as well.

And with the preliminary inspection done, all these can go into the soaker for the day.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Puebloswatcop
post Jan 15 2022, 08:24 AM
Post #312

Finally, all of the axle parts arrived from Autohaus Arizona, so I can start rebuilding the axles that will actually go back into this car. All new boots, gaskets, and the retaining clips. I always replace the clips with new ones, cheap insurance that the joints will stay on the axle shafts.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Puebloswatcop
post Jan 15 2022, 08:31 AM
Post #313

And then a short time later my seat hinge brackets arrived from R.D. They are very nice reproductions of the originals..

I have already marked these where the hinge will be located.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Puebloswatcop
post Jan 15 2022, 08:36 AM
Post #314

And of course I couldn't wait to weld the hinges on. I forgot that I had welded some thicker steel the other day, so I bet you can tell which one got welded before I re-adjusted the wire feed....not the most beautiful welds....but surely functional.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Puebloswatcop
post Jan 21 2022, 06:36 PM
Post #315

Has been a bit of a crazy week. Son came down with COVID so kinda had to put things on the Porsche on hold. He got better and came up negative today...yeah. So I did get a small thing done today. Finished installing the driver's side seat brackets. I really do like this new welder. That and more practice are getting me back into the hang of things.
I spaced the welds 1 inch apart and skipped where the lower ribs in the floor were. It definitly is solid.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Puebloswatcop
post Jan 21 2022, 06:40 PM
Post #316

The welds are so much smoother and cleaner.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Puebloswatcop
post Jan 21 2022, 06:42 PM
Post #317

Smothed out the inner welds, but think I'll skip doing that to the outer weld since reaching them is harder and I don't want to chance grinding away too much material.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Puebloswatcop
post Jan 21 2022, 06:44 PM
Post #318

I am hoping to start setting up for blasting the underside of the body next week. So trying to figure out how to tent the car so my garage isn't full of media after blasting it.

Any Ideas?
+Quote Post
Puebloswatcop
post Feb 5 2022, 09:10 AM
Post #319

So I just returned from a short trip to Colorado, Sorry Texas, I seemed to have brought the cold weather and snow back with me....

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Puebloswatcop
post Feb 5 2022, 09:19 AM
Post #320

While in Colorado I decided to box up a small box of parts to send back to Texas, I specifically needed the passenger side seat slider so i could finsh installing the seat brackets. Figured I might as well send some other things along with it.

Won't do that again...$53 dollars to send them back. That would have gotten me a partial drive to load a whole truck of parts, but oh well.

Attached Image
+Quote Post

51 Pages V « < 14 15 16 17 18 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd June 2024 - 11:24 AM