Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A more advanced Oil Cooler Question
aveale
post Jul 27 2005, 06:53 AM
Post #1

Fun Times

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,563

Hey,

whilst removing my oil cooler nuts the studs started to come loose.

if i remove these studs, can I remove the entire cooler AND is it a BIT*% to get these studs back in place?

A good chance to clean things up and replace the seals........? I just don't need another nightmare right now.

T

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
groot
post Jul 27 2005, 07:13 AM
Post #2

Dis member

Member No.: 1,444

"More advanced?"... okay...

Are you working underneath the car or is the engine out?

It doesn't matter too much, but it's a lot easier to access with the fan housing off.

I haven't run these studs in a few years. I replaced them with small bolts. So, to answer your question, it's possible to remove the studs and it's certainly possible to re-install them. If your engine is out and the fan removed, it will be very easy.
+Quote Post
aveale
post Jul 27 2005, 07:28 AM
Post #3

Fun Times

The "more advanced" tag was to grab peoples attention - kind of true and kind of worked.

The engine is out. My prob with removing the fan housing is fiddling with the engine tin. My screws are quite rusty and I don't want to start another problem.

I guess replacing the studs with bolts would make life alot easier.

Thanx for your reply, would love to hear more before I get all greasy, sweaty and mad.

T

+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Jul 27 2005, 08:13 AM
Post #4

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

Those studs are designed to stretch under temp and not over crush the seals, rendering them useless.

The factory used those studs for a reason and every time I have replaced them with a bolt, I have found out why.

If you notice my DTM kits that relocate the stopck oil cooler still use those studs and an adaptor to attach the cooler to the adaptor- this is because the stretch is an important factor in a no leak situation.

Everything is done for a reason.... If you snap off the studs I have thousands of them.
+Quote Post
aveale
post Jul 27 2005, 08:56 AM
Post #5

Fun Times

Now we are talking!!

I still have yet to hear if the cooler will drop after removing the studs though!

T

+Quote Post
groot
post Jul 27 2005, 08:56 AM
Post #6

Dis member

Member No.: 1,444

That's a good point, Jake. I hadn't thought of that. I don't tighten the crap out of my bolts because those rubber seals can absorb a lot of slop if needed.
+Quote Post
URY914
post Jul 27 2005, 09:07 AM
Post #7

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222
Region Association: None

Why didn't they use an rubber O ring instead of a seal with a flat surface on it that will deform when tightened too much?

P

+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jul 27 2005, 09:15 AM
Post #8

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE (aveale @ Jul 27 2005, 08:56 AM)
Now we are talking!!

I still have yet to hear if the cooler will drop after removing the studs though!

T

Yes... the cooler will come out. I posted an article that tells how to remove the cooler when the engine is in the car. You remove the nuts, slide the cooler forward, and unscrew the studs with a pair of needle nose vice grips. Then the cooler will come out the bottom.

+Quote Post
aveale
post Jul 27 2005, 09:54 AM
Post #9

Fun Times

Thanks C,

Read the article, and I am on my way!

T
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Jul 27 2005, 10:04 AM
Post #10

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE (URY914 @ Jul 27 2005, 07:07 AM)
Why didn't they use an rubber O ring instead of a seal with a flat surface on it that will deform when tightened too much?

P

Hmmmmm.............................. A lot of questionable information here. The sleeves in the cooler prevent it from being overtightened. The only possible results of "overtightening" would be failure of the studs, the nuts, or the threads in the case. The flanges of the seals compress to their design limits. You need to use the proper nuts, the thick flat washers, and the spring washers. Studs are used to protect the case, assure the correct installation depthj in the threaded holes in the case, and the correct thread engagement of the fastening hardware. I can't comment on the potential for leaks when using bolts, because I've never seen a T4 engine that had them. I can understand the reasoning behind Jake's statement, but I don't totally buy the theory in this case. Using seals of the incorrect material or dimensions is also likely to cause leaks. The Cap'n
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Jul 27 2005, 10:35 AM
Post #11

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

Capn,
I never thought about it till we had an incurable leakwith bolts..... Replaced them with studs by accident and it went away- Thats how formed the hypothesis stated above...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th June 2024 - 12:27 AM