Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> turnsignals keep flashing on dash
dax1969
post Oct 18 2021, 01:43 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,103
Region Association: None

Hi guys,

Have some weird issues with my turnsignal lights on the dash.
Car is a 74 2.0 with the two arrows flashing at the same time. A while ago all of a sudden the brakelight warning light and turnsignal lights on the dash started flashing. Assumed the turnsignal relay failed so replaced with a uro one I had laying around. No change, I even had got a buzzing sound. Disconnected the single wire on the brakeswitch (at the MC) and the brake warning light went out but also I no longer had turnsignal lights on the dash. Everything outside works fine (left/right turnsignals, 4 way turnsignals, lights etc).

I installed a new brakeswitch, reconnected the single wire and once again installed a new turnsignal relay. Same issue, brakewarning light + L/R flashing. Disconnected the single wire to stop the brake warning light.

Now the flashing of the L/R light on the dash is intermittent. It looks like everytime I use the brakepedal the flashing stops.... Not only when braking, building up pressure, but realy as from the moment I touch the pedal .... Thought that perhaps I need to bleed the brakes (MC, no leaks) but it is kinda strange that the flashing stops even with a light touch on the pedal. I fried my brakeswitch on the pedal a couple of months ago and a new one is in.

Any thoughts ?

krgds
Dax
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Shivers
post Oct 18 2021, 06:49 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 24,781
Region Association: Southern California

Reset the warning light switch: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry2394478

1974 the turn signal light indicators on the tach flash at the same time, left or right, unlike my 72' that flashes only one side for a turn.
+Quote Post
dax1969
post Oct 18 2021, 07:15 AM
Post #3

QUOTE(Shivers @ Oct 18 2021, 02:49 PM) *

Reset the warning light switch: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry2394478

1974 the turn signal light indicators on the tach flash at the same time, left or right, unlike my 72' that flashes only one side for a turn.

Sorry should have mentioned... I have single pole brakeswitch without resetbutton.Attached Image
+Quote Post
bzettner
post Oct 18 2021, 07:47 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 15,951
Region Association: Southwest Region

My '73 1.7 had the exact symptoms last month after a tail light bulb went out. Are all of your bulbs in good shape?

Turn signal flasher did not help, actually made the flashing dash indicators flash more dimmly. I replaced the two spade MC switch with a reset-able single spade switch (914rubber IIRC) and this eliminated almost everything. The female spade connecting to my e-brake had "broken" and was having intermittent contact creating intermittent results.

@spoke was an incredible resource! Thanks, again @spoke !

Maybe this will help you. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
dax1969
post Oct 18 2021, 08:35 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(bzettner @ Oct 18 2021, 03:47 PM) *

My '73 1.7 had the exact symptoms last month after a tail light bulb went out. Are all of your bulbs in good shape?

Turn signal flasher did not help, actually made the flashing dash indicators flash more dimmly. I replaced the two spade MC switch with a reset-able single spade switch (914rubber IIRC) and this eliminated almost everything. The female spade connecting to my e-brake had "broken" and was having intermittent contact creating intermittent results.

@spoke was an incredible resource! Thanks, again @spoke !

Maybe this will help you. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Will check the bulbs, last time I looked they were ok.
Cannot find the reset-able single spade in europe... At 914 rubber the switch is 27.95 usd and shipping is 36 usd (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
Have a new swith on the ebrake as well (new, a year old or so)... will check that to.

could it explain that whenever I touch the brake pedal the blinking stops ? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Hate electrical gremlins

thks yr feedback

Dax
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Dec 3 2021, 07:45 PM
Post #6

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

QUOTE(dax1969 @ Oct 18 2021, 02:43 AM) *

Hi guys,

Car is a 74 2.0 with the two arrows flashing at the same time. A while ago all of a sudden the brakelight warning light and turnsignal lights on the dash started flashing. Assumed the turnsignal relay failed so replaced with a uro one I had laying around. No change, I even had got a buzzing sound. Disconnected the single wire on the brakeswitch (at the MC) and the brake warning light went out but also I no longer had turnsignal lights on the dash. Everything outside works fine (left/right turnsignals, 4 way turnsignals, lights etc).

I installed a new brakeswitch, reconnected the single wire and once again installed a new turnsignal relay. Same issue, brakewarning light + L/R flashing. Disconnected the single wire to stop the brake warning light.

Now the flashing of the L/R light on the dash is intermittent. It looks like everytime I use the brakepedal the flashing stops.... Not only when braking, building up pressure, but realy as from the moment I touch the pedal .... Thought that perhaps I need to bleed the brakes (MC, no leaks) but it is kinda strange that the flashing stops even with a light touch on the pedal. I fried my brakeswitch on the pedal a couple of months ago and a new one is in.

Any thoughts ?

krgds
Dax

@dax1969

The only place where the wires for the brake and turnsignals come together is in the rear light housing. Has any work been done to them? Sounds like wires were swapped.

When the flashing stops do the turnsignal lights stay on or off?
+Quote Post
dax1969
post Dec 7 2021, 09:00 AM
Post #7

QUOTE(Spoke @ Dec 4 2021, 02:45 AM) *

QUOTE(dax1969 @ Oct 18 2021, 02:43 AM) *

Hi guys,

Any thoughts ?

krgds
Dax

@dax1969

The only place where the wires for the brake and turnsignals come together is in the rear light housing. Has any work been done to them? Sounds like wires were swapped.

When the flashing stops do the turnsignal lights stay on or off?

@spoke

I disconnected the switch (replaced 2 times now) at the MC and the turnsignal lights are not really flashing anymore... The come on and once I push the brakepedal they turn off... a bit later they come on again (and I hear the turnsignal relay clicking realy fast). The relay has been changed to this one NEW RELAY (although I have no leds in the car anywhere)

No work has been done to the rear lights but I will further investigate if there is no short or so...

In the meantime I ordered a new master cylinder (easy install 19mm fm 914 rubber) which includes the resettable switch. Will see if that helps

thks yr assistance

krgds
DAx

+Quote Post
JamesM
post Dec 8 2021, 02:09 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 5,834
Region Association: Intermountain Region

This is going to sound really simple but, have you checked your fuse panel? I have had similar oddness when accidently kicking out a few fuses.

Also, parking brake switch
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Dec 8 2021, 07:49 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565
Region Association: North East States

Couple things.

First, if removing the wire from the switch stops the problem, then it's possible you have either a bad master switch or even a bad master. Check for continuity to ground on that switch terminal with the wire removed; if it's grounded, then either the switch is bad or your master is bad (the shuttle is cocked over to one side.)

Remove that switch on the master and see if fluid comes out; there should not be any in that central chamber. Check the switch continutity with it removed; it should be an open circuit which then closes when you push in the pintle/pin. Look inside the switch hole and see if the shuttle is cocked over to one side; it should not be. If it is then it's possibly stuck in its bore, and the reaosn it's cocked over is possibly because one circuit of your master is bad.

Second, in reviewing the wiring diagram for a '74, the switch should be simply grounding the brake warning light when there's differential pressure in the master (one chamber bad). I can't see anything in the wiring diagram to indicate it would cause the turn signals to flash. So you may have some wiring crossed; possibly the flasher relay is being grounded to the master switch accidentally? Those gauges and its wires have been removed probably scores of times over the years so it's assuredly a possibility.

I'd suggest checking the master and its switch as I describe above and clarify that situation (especially in case you have a bad master) and then trace some ground wires from the back of the gauges down to that switch to see what's what.
+Quote Post
dax1969
post Dec 8 2021, 10:03 AM
Post #10

thanks for all the replies. Fedex brought me the easy install 19 mm master cylinder from 914rubber today. I will install it in a couple of day and report back.

When removing the switch a tiny drop of brakefluid comes out... perhaps the theory of a bad chamber in the old mastercylinder is the issue.

will keep you posted but it will take a few days...

bye for now and thanks again

krgds
Dax
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Dec 8 2021, 10:21 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565

Dax, good update. I tend to agree that it's time for a new master anyway.

Still sounds like you could have a wiring prob - grounding that wire shouldn't cause the turn signals to flash - so don't hesitate to head that way eventually. At least in your case it shouldn't cause any issues for you until you do.
+Quote Post
dax1969
post Jan 3 2022, 04:14 AM
Post #12

Hello, promised to report back ...

As you could see in my other post I cleaned up my bottom (of the car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ), installed rebuild brakes, new bushings on the a-arms and installed a new 19 mm master cylinder
and bled the brakes...

It looks like my issue with the turnsignals/relay is history... My stock 17mm mastercylinder seemed to be the culprit. Would have never guessed that.

greetings
dax
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jan 3 2022, 08:19 AM
Post #13

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

If I had to guess, I would venture that the issue was a grounding problem with the master cylinder switch. The two-wire switch has the signal wire and a ground wire; the one-wire switch grounds through its threads into the body of the master cylinder.

It might be possible to fix this in the future by adding an extra ground wire to the master cylinder, possibly on a mounting bolt.

--DD
+Quote Post
StarBear
post Jan 3 2022, 08:24 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 10,753

QUOTE(dax1969 @ Jan 3 2022, 05:14 AM) *

Hello, promised to report back ...

As you could see in my other post I cleaned up my bottom (of the car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ), installed rebuild brakes, new bushings on the a-arms and installed a new 19 mm master cylinder
and bled the brakes...

It looks like my issue with the turnsignals/relay is history... My stock 17mm mastercylinder seemed to be the culprit. Would have never guessed that.

greetings
dax

Yay!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:10 AM