Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rear Main Engine Seal NEEDED, New Clutch and Flywheel Replacement- need beefier seal
Str1974
post Oct 20 2021, 10:40 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,820
Region Association: Southwest Region

I'm in the process of replacing my clutch while my engine is out. I have studied the procedure somewhat, but have never done it on my 914. I see mention of a thicker seal compared to a less beefy stock. When trying to order the rear main seal from various vendors, it only lists one type of seal (ie. erhling,sabo etc.). None of the available seals mention their thickness. All seem to list the rear main seal as part# 029105245B. And that part number seems to fit various vehicles, Bus , Type 4 VW and 914. Does anyone know where I can purchase the beefier main seal and what is the correct thickness? Is the beefier one a different part# ? Any help would be greatly appreciated, THX
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jcd914
post Oct 20 2021, 11:10 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,684
Region Association: Northern California

I have no recent experience with rear main seals but here is a link to an article that discusses them.

Gowesty Main Seal Article

Jim
+Quote Post
914sgofast2
post Oct 20 2021, 11:23 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 15,855
Region Association: None

Over on the Bay Window Forum at the Samba.com they tend to claim that the only good rear main seals are the all black ones made by Sabo.
+Quote Post
iankarr
post Oct 20 2021, 11:33 PM
Post #4

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Hey there. You can see it in my video at about 11:20..

https://youtu.be/pETd03F1Os4

Sabo 029-105-245

I believe Pelican carries these now.

I used the Ehlring on my green car and no leaks yet! I think the main thing is that the bore is smooth and clean and that the seal fits as it should. Also don't forget to put some oil on the inside lip so the seal doesn't fail on startup.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Oct 21 2021, 01:30 AM
Post #5

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

I tend to like the Victor Reinz brand. Had leaks with the Elrings (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
Str1974
post Oct 21 2021, 11:40 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(iankarr @ Oct 21 2021, 12:33 AM) *

Hey there. You can see it in my video at about 11:20..

https://youtu.be/pETd03F1Os4

Sabo 029-105-245

I believe Pelican carries these now.

I used the Ehlring on my green car and no leaks yet! I think the main thing is that the bore is smooth and clean and that the seal fits as it should. Also don't forget to put some oil on the inside lip so the seal doesn't fail on startup.

Ian, thanks for the reply. I have watched your video many times to get the nerve to do it myself (great video)! In your video you mention that you put in the "10mm" seal, but wished you had ordered the "12mm" seal. That's where I came into trouble. I checked the 029-105-245 part number and it always comes up that it is the rear main seal, but does not distinguish between if it is a 10mm or a 12mm. Gowesty also mentions the various seals but never shows if its 10mm or 12mm. Is there a way to distinguish between the 10 or 12mm by part number or exclusive brand?

Mark
+Quote Post
Str1974
post Oct 21 2021, 11:41 AM
Post #7

QUOTE(jcd914 @ Oct 21 2021, 12:10 AM) *

I have no recent experience with rear main seals but here is a link to an article that discusses them.

Gowesty Main Seal Article

Jim

thanks, will look at it.
+Quote Post
mmichalik
post Oct 21 2021, 11:54 AM
Post #8

MikeM

Member No.: 19,600
Region Association: Southern California

I ordered this seal from Gowesty for my '75: 029-105-245: Flywheel / Flexplate Seal (Rear Main) when I read that the smaller seals didn't always provide the best fit. I wish I could remember who, on this board, made that recommendation to me.
Definitely larger than the Victor Rienz seal that came with the clutch kit.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Str1974
post Oct 21 2021, 12:18 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(mmichalik @ Oct 21 2021, 12:54 PM) *

I ordered this seal from Gowesty for my '75: 029-105-245: Flywheel / Flexplate Seal (Rear Main) when I read that the smaller seals didn't always provide the best fit. I wish I could remember who, on this board, made that recommendation to me.
Definitely larger than the Victor Rienz seal that came with the clutch kit.

Yes, it looks like that one is the best bet. Per the Gowesty article, the old style German made Sabo seal was best, but now made in Brazil (not as good, bad mold). So they ended up recommending only the Erling one, over the Victor Reinz.
+Quote Post
iankarr
post Oct 21 2021, 02:20 PM
Post #10

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

The Sabo /gowesty one is deeper than the elring. I think you're watching my clutch replacement video, which shows the elring with the (appropriately) rust colored ring. That's where I say I didn't have time to order the beefier one. In the link I posted above, from my 2056 build, you can see the sabo. I didn't mesure it, but I beileive it is 12mm. It's certainly beefier than the elring.

Glad you found the videos helpful!
+Quote Post
Str1974
post Oct 21 2021, 08:01 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(iankarr @ Oct 21 2021, 03:20 PM) *

The Sabo /gowesty one is deeper than the elring. I think you're watching my clutch replacement video, which shows the elring with the (appropriately) rust colored ring. That's where I say I didn't have time to order the beefier one. In the link I posted above, from my 2056 build, you can see the sabo. I didn't mesure it, but I beileive it is 12mm. It's certainly beefier than the elring.

Glad you found the videos helpful!

Thanks. I was afraid that the Sabo was the one that was the 12mm one. Gowesty has sold all their German made Sabo seals. They aren't selling the new ones that are made in Brazil because of the mold that they are using has caused failures down the road. The only ones they sell nowadays is the Elring one.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:18 PM