Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Should I buy this 914?, This is my first post on this forum. Looking to buy a 914.
Just_a_guy
post Oct 21 2021, 12:45 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 26,012
Region Association: None

I came across an add on Facebook marketplace for a 1971 Porsche 914 for $5000. I’ve never owned a Porsche but have owned 3 VW buses from the 70s in the past which have similar engines and have always wanted a 914. The owner claims the car runs and drives but “needs a tune up” because he hasn’t seriously ran it since it was put under a tarp outside years ago. It’s yellow and the paint is faded but doesn’t appear too bad. I haven’t seen pictures of the interior yet. It has a set of strange rims I can’t identify. I’m seriously considering buying it but I’m not sure if it’s a good deal. It would be a 6 hour drive to get the car so what questions should I ask the seller before I commit? I’ll attempt to attach a photo of the car in question. Let me know if you can’t see the photo.

Thank you all so much for help!

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JamesM
post Oct 21 2021, 12:51 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 5,834
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Get as many pictures of the common rust areas as you can. Mechanical bits are easy to fix, especially if you know busses. RUST is where you will sink all your time and money.
+Quote Post
Badinfluence1
post Oct 21 2021, 01:07 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 25,022
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) Hi - In for a penny in for a pound-if its been sitting outside for years- all the brake calipers will be stuck the fuel injection will need love- and rust never sleeps- The engine will need a rebuild- all the push rod seals will be rotted, so it will leak oil fast- Plan to spend another 8k to make road worthy... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
Arno914
post Oct 21 2021, 02:16 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 24,260
Region Association: Germany

Picture is not really sharp, but:
Jackpost cover missing? Divider between front fender and cowl missing + paint difference all the way down the fender under antenna?

Definitely a must (!) to take the covers off the longs to see how the situation is down under (no - not Australia, off course). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Could be a bondo-bucket or a good unmolested example for a restauration. Get pics. A honest seller will cooperate.

Good luck!

PS: Rear valance is missing, the 1971 still had the "long" one with a hole for the tailpipe.
+Quote Post
Craigers17
post Oct 21 2021, 05:33 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 21,317
Region Association: South East States

At a bare minimum, I would try to get detailed pics of both trunks, the area under the battery, underside of the doors, door jambs, floor with the carpet removed, especially behind the seats, and the longitudinals. If those are all good, I'd say $5K is a decent price in today's market(at least worth making the 6hr drive).

FYI....those are American Racing Lemans wheels. Good Luck!
+Quote Post
emerygt350
post Oct 21 2021, 05:38 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 25,740
Region Association: North East States

Is the car near you?
+Quote Post
emerygt350
post Oct 21 2021, 05:38 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

And watch Karr's movie on what to look for on you tube.
+Quote Post
Shivers
post Oct 21 2021, 06:03 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 24,781
Region Association: Southern California

Watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iJmizIoobo

6 hours is a long drive, but may be worth it to really go over the car. before committing. Look long and hard at the bits, may be worth the price for everything but a good body. Then hunt down a good tub from out here. Welcome
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Oct 21 2021, 06:23 AM
Post #9

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

nope
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Big Len
post Oct 21 2021, 07:10 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 16,126
Region Association: Southwest Region

Why not post another question - Is there anyone on 914 world that that can meet me in the town where the car is to help me with an inspection? I'm willing to pay $100.00 for this. It might save you thousands down the road.
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Oct 21 2021, 07:12 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176

Two seat interior in a '71 ?
possible rust repair on rear of front fender
Too much money.......unless you know alot and love work.
+Quote Post
iankarr
post Oct 21 2021, 07:35 AM
Post #12

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

As usual, you've got a bunch of great answers from the brain trust. Maybe with the exception of watching my videos (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif). Link in my signature below.

My spidey senses are tingling about this one. It has the patina of cars hiding lots of rust. I agree with Rory and others that 5K seems rich for this. If you don't know thesse cars, Len's suggestion to find someone in the area to do a PPI is money well spent. I just usually ask to make a donation to St. Judes (my favorite charity).

The best possible advice about buying a 914 is to buy the best one you can afford. There's nothing more expensive than a cheap classic car. Set a budget and post a WTB in the classics section here. Good luck!
+Quote Post
9146C
post Oct 21 2021, 07:35 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 23,460

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

As mentioned above, if the car is close by and you want to look at it, it would be helpful to solicit the help of a 914World member that lives close by and would be willing to help with a pre-purchase inspection (PPI).

I'm not sure how new you are to 914's...Ian Karr has made a series of terrific videos on YouTube about these great little cars. This one is very important for "newbies" (as all 914's have rust...the "hell hole" being the most common.):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO2e-J-EA-A

Depending on your skill level (mechanical and welding skills particularly), almost anything on these cars is repairable...given enough time and money.

Replacement parts are readily available. Rear brake calipers are scarce. For a car that has been sitting, this could be an issue.

There is a common expression..."buy the best 914 you can afford". Investing time and money into a major restoration and you'll never recoup your effort (for repairs done correctly). Repairs not done correctly have a whole new set of consequences.

You've come to the right place...there are a lot of people here who can offer you sound advice...take advantage of that.

Good luck and welcome to 914World!
+Quote Post
Jamie
post Oct 21 2021, 07:39 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 2,939
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Just_a_guy @ Oct 20 2021, 10:45 PM) *

I came across an add on Facebook marketplace for a 1971 Porsche 914 for $5000. I’ve never owned a Porsche but have owned 3 VW buses from the 70s in the past which have similar engines and have always wanted a 914. The owner claims the car runs and drives but “needs a tune up” because he hasn’t seriously ran it since it was put under a tarp outside years ago. It’s yellow and the paint is faded but doesn’t appear too bad. I haven’t seen pictures of the interior yet. It has a set of strange rims I can’t identify. I’m seriously considering buying it but I’m not sure if it’s a good deal. It would be a 6 hour drive to get the car so what questions should I ask the seller before I commit? I’ll attempt to attach a photo of the car in question. Let me know if you can’t see the photo.

Attached Image

I see rust at the base of the sail/rear fender area, and if there is rust that far up you can be sure the body areas below are a disaster. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
jrmdir
post Oct 21 2021, 07:41 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 25,544
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Yes, you need a lot more photos. Especially of the rust areas but also interior and engine. Dashboard trashed? Was it converted to carbs? etc.

I also agree that someone on the forum is probably closer and will be willing to help. I wouldn't worry about anyone here poaching you. Communicate by PM and get to know your helper and you'll be comfortable I'm suire.

Just FYI, I bought a similarly situated '73 for $4,000 but it was local and I got to see everything. But 4 months later I'm still spending to get it to run reliably. It was also stored for 3 years and I, too, got those famous three words: "Ran when parked" LOL.

Plan on new gas tank, fuel lines, lots of vacuum lines and, if still FI, a lot of work and cost on things like manifold and throttle sensors. Not to mention plugs, wires, coil, etc. And once you get these cars running, THEN you find out about all the bad synchros, brakes, etc.

But I wanted a project and enjoy these kinds of challenges. If you're the same, go for it. But only after following the above collective advice.

Ron
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Oct 21 2021, 07:43 AM
Post #16

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Mouse house. I wonder how long the driver's side window has been open. What would your TOTAL budget be for this car? Triple it.
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Oct 21 2021, 08:45 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176

The three dead batterys is not a good sign about the seller.
+Quote Post
mlindner
post Oct 21 2021, 09:39 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 13,770
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Yup, do as Beg Len said.....I wanted a high end Hot-Rod builder to paint my car, not interested. Six months later i offered him $150.00 for him to just come over and look at it after work. That did it.
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Oct 21 2021, 10:07 AM
Post #19

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

pretty rough, you better have a lot of mechanical talent. Unfortunately, these days, the car is worth 5000 for parts

QUOTE(Just_a_guy @ Oct 20 2021, 11:45 PM) *

Attached Image

+Quote Post
emerygt350
post Oct 21 2021, 10:32 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

I am familiar with SD so I understand distances can be daunting. Don't let all the scary talk stop you from going to look at it if it close (south dakota close). Watch Karr's video, go and take a look. Who knows, maybe it is just a little surface rust. If the hell hole is rust free and the longitudinals, floors, firewall all look good, it might be worth it if the engine is nice. Who knows, maybe it has a 6 in it !
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:28 PM