Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Realizing a Life-long Dream
pfreiburger
post Oct 24 2021, 12:34 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,738
Region Association: None

This week the excavators started on something I have worked for over many years, a stand alone shop to work on my project cars. First it took many years and three changes of neighbors before I could buy the extra ½ acre I needed (our township determines the allowable size for out-buildings based on your property acreage). Then it took much of a year to get 21 signatures from surrounding land owners to get a building restriction on the land removed. After that Covid hit and material prices went through the roof, convincing me to hold off for a while. Finally, later this year I decided to go for it, as prices improved somewhat and realizing that next year could actually be worse. I was very lucky to find an enthusiastic contractor who could line up all the subs, so I pulled the trigger.

It’s going to be a three bay 39’x40’ shop, with a 12’ ceiling in the center to allow for a hoist in one stall, a nice sized shop area, 200@ electrical service, fully insulated, with water and heat. I am going to have to do a lot of my own finishing to hold the (already blown) budget down, but if the things that are on backorder (overhead doors, service doors, windows, roofing) arrive in time (6-8 weeks depending on what it is), I could be turning wrenches in December.

More to come as construction progresses.

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
AZBanks
post Oct 24 2021, 12:51 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 5,245
Region Association: Southwest Region

Congrats. I'm looking forward to updates as this progresses.
+Quote Post
jagalyn
post Oct 24 2021, 03:06 AM
Post #3

True Patina

Member No.: 5,503

Congratulations. Nice project. Look forward to seeing it completed.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Oct 24 2021, 04:40 AM
Post #4

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Congratulations! That is very exciting and I look forward to watching the construction progress. What other specifications do you have for the shop? Polished concrete floor? Lift? Whatever lighting you think you need, double it. What kind of cabinets? Loft storage? Have fun and enjoy the build. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
PaulFV8
post Oct 24 2021, 05:59 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 24,562

CONGRATS

What lift did you choose?

Stay Safe
+Quote Post
mlindner
post Oct 24 2021, 06:18 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 13,770
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Congrats pfreiburger, thats going to be a great shop. Post more pictures and of your projects. Nice to have more 914's in Wisconsin. Best, Mark
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Oct 24 2021, 06:21 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21,666

Exciting, please keep us posted as it is built.
+Quote Post
Shivers
post Oct 24 2021, 06:37 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 24,781
Region Association: Southern California

With cold winters like yours, I would imagine this will be a real game changer. Congrats
+Quote Post
live free & drive
post Oct 24 2021, 06:52 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 20,159

I hope you are putting in radiant in floor heating. Even if you are not it would be smart to place PEX tubing in the concrete pour so you could do it later. The tubing is fairly cheap.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Oct 24 2021, 07:00 AM
Post #10

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Oct 24 2021, 07:01 AM
Post #11

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643
Region Association: Southern California

Thanks for sharing; looking forward to the progress.
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Oct 24 2021, 07:14 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 21,449
Region Association: South East States

CONGRATULATIONS!

I know the feeling well, having started my attached "dream Shop & Garage" ten years ago! It's been a joy ever since, a bit of heaven for me. Sons and I built it ourselves as we did our log home 21 years ago.

40' x 26' with 10' ceiling except in lift bay ceiling is 15'. 2/3 has 2nd floor. No insulation and heat - yet. Just too expensive. Have 4 ton Heat Pump in good working condition we replaced from house I hope to install sometime after insulating.

Please keep us posted on progress.

GN

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/hosting.photobucket.com-21449-1635081254.1.jpg)

QUOTE(pfreiburger @ Oct 24 2021, 12:34 AM) *

This week the excavators started on something I have worked for over many years, a stand alone shop to work on my project cars. First it took many years and three changes of neighbors before I could buy the extra ½ acre I needed (our township determines the allowable size for out-buildings based on your property acreage). Then it took much of a year to get 21 signatures from surrounding land owners to get a building restriction on the land removed. After that Covid hit and material prices went through the roof, convincing me to hold off for a while. Finally, later this year I decided to go for it, as prices improved somewhat and realizing that next year could actually be worse. I was very lucky to find an enthusiastic contractor who could line up all the subs, so I pulled the trigger.

It’s going to be a three bay 39’x40’ shop, with a 12’ ceiling in the center to allow for a hoist in one stall, a nice sized shop area, 200@ electrical service, fully insulated, with water and heat. I am going to have to do a lot of my own finishing to hold the (already blown) budget down, but if the things that are on backorder (overhead doors, service doors, windows, roofing) arrive in time (6-8 weeks depending on what it is), I could be turning wrenches in December.

More to come as construction progresses.

+Quote Post
mlindner
post Oct 24 2021, 07:45 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 13,770
Region Association: Upper MidWest

GN, love your garage doors and transom windows. Nice job, show us some inside pictures. Mark
+Quote Post
StarBear
post Oct 24 2021, 07:50 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 10,753
Region Association: North East States

Livin’ tha dream! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
mate914
post Oct 24 2021, 07:58 AM
Post #15

Matt

Member No.: 10,102
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(live free & drive @ Oct 24 2021, 08:52 AM) *

I hope you are putting in radiant in floor heating. Even if you are not it would be smart to place PEX tubing in the concrete pour so you could do it later. The tubing is fairly cheap.

100% correct. Pex tubing is cheap. I have radiant heat in my 200 year old house, My parents have also, in the pool room the floor is so warm.
If your bones are warm pain is less. I know pain daily.
Matt (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Oct 24 2021, 08:34 AM
Post #16

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

Awesome! Living the dream!
+Quote Post
Jett
post Oct 24 2021, 08:45 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 17,686
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Great looking space for a large shop. We started permitting with the city in 2018 and got the permit in early 2020, and after a year of spurious construction we have our garage with one challenger two post lift and challenger stackers, once the equipment is in I’ll take some pics. We plan on growing into the space (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) but like the loft that forced the roof higher.

We went with 8” floors and radiant heat (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
pfreiburger
post Oct 24 2021, 03:41 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 24,738

Regarding the other details, I have good reports on TSR floor coatings so I will probably go with that next year after I build the checking account back up. I do have attic storage planned. The 1st 20’ of the building has 12’6” ceilings, but the next 20’ has 10’ ceilings with the trusses structured for storage. I have been using metal office cabinets (they are perfect for a shop) in my current garage/shop over the years and will move them over. I have a hoist tagged at Midwest equipment and the brochure is attached, it’s the 9,000 lb. Big Block model. https://liftsuperstore.com/wp-content/uploa...re-122820-1.pdf

I have used a Canarm exhaust fan in my current garage/shop and really liked it so I ordered another for the new shop. As long as I was plumbing for a utility sink, I am having a toilet roughed in for later installation (budget again). If the budget allows I will have the ceiling drywalled and insulated (drywall is currently MUCH cheaper than most other options) and finish the sidewalls myself. An electrician will do the service entrance, panel and lighting and I will do everything else.

I would have really liked to go radiant heat, but I had to cut the budget where possible. I will be installing a ceiling suspended LP heater myself. Water was a must and is turning out to be a major expense. The picture below is of a contractor digging a trench for the water line. What is usually a simple, narrow bucket excavation (or even less extensive boring job) turned into 2-3 days of a much-bigger deal, breaking up ledge rock that was too close to the surface to go over, and too deep to bore under. The bill for that is going to hurt.

GN – Wow, that is one beautiful shop. Mine will match the house but will not be anywhere near as good looking as yours.

Jett – That looks to be the size of a football field, very awesome! Planning on a big collection, eh?

Mlindner – Yes, we will have to start a WI 914 chapter! I have been collecting parts for my 6 conversion for the last year, with the suspension all rounded up and brake parts being collected now; various other bits have been sourced as I come across them. While collecting parts I plan on just enjoying the car as is. In the meantime we should compare notes.

Shortages notwithstanding, hoping to be in sometime in December. Progress reports to follow.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Oct 24 2021, 03:52 PM
Post #19

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(mate914 @ Oct 24 2021, 06:58 AM) *

QUOTE(live free & drive @ Oct 24 2021, 08:52 AM) *

100% correct. Pex tubing is cheap. I have radiant heat in my 200 year old house, My parents have also, in the pool room the floor is so warm.
If your bones are warm pain is less. I know pain daily.
Matt (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)

Radiant heat is that luxury that keeps on giving. Ranks right up there with a lift. Must feel great after navigating all the steps for approval and then finding a willing contractor...cause for a happy dance. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

My own two cents worth is install a motion sensor light on the inside, pointing at the entry door. That way you'll always have light coming or going. Also, IMO lighting is best placed around the perimeter of a bay, rather than down the middle.

Congratulations on living the dream! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Oct 24 2021, 08:15 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 21,449
Region Association: South East States

I am an EE and this is right-on advice - 2 - 8' double lamp strip lights down each side of each bay end-to-end with 2' or 3' between the ends. As I built mine in 2012, I used HO commercial lights that are extra bright and come on at 0 degrees. Today get LED lights.

A nice addition would be one more 8' light at end of bay where you will do most of your engine work, perpendicular to the lights between the bays, just past the front bumper so it will light the engine bay. Extra $$$ tho.

GN

My own two cents worth is install a motion sensor light on the inside, pointing at the entry door. That way you'll always have light coming or going. Also, IMO lighting is best placed around the perimeter of a bay, rather than down the middle.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:02 AM