Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gas tank, looking to purchase
EJP914
post Oct 25 2021, 12:17 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 821

Got a quote from a local guy (Pittsburgh PA area) for about $400 to clean and coat my '73 gas tank. Sierra Madre has a new one for about $220. A repro made by Dansk. Stoddard has the same one but are out of stock.
I have read somewhere repro tanks don't fit well. Takes some work to get them to fit like the factory one.

Anyone had any experience good or bad with repro tanks? Dont know if Dansk is a good one or not.

Would appreciate any tips and opinions.

EJP914
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Oct 25 2021, 12:40 PM
Post #2

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

What is the condition of your tank? By 'coat' do you mean the inside? If so, what product? Don't forget to add in any shipping to that $220. It will be close to the oversized limit. There have been a few threads about new tanks not being quite right. If the surface rust factor isn't that severe, esp the inside, the dif between the shop quote and new isn't to bad considering the time factor for the shipping (who knows when these days) and fixing is a wash. Have you tried a WTB in the classifieds?
+Quote Post
Sea Rooster
post Oct 25 2021, 01:11 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 21,948
Region Association: South East States

My original tank on my '73 had pin holes and I scrapped it for a Dansk. No issues and a perfect fit...
+Quote Post
mmichalik
post Oct 25 2021, 01:31 PM
Post #4

MikeM

Member No.: 19,600
Region Association: Southern California

$400.00 seems a little step to me. I got my '75 boled, cleaned and resealed for $193.00 out here in Temecula.
I did buy a replacement tank for my '74 and I just had to trim off a little bit of the seam for the bridge. Other than that, it was a great fit.
+Quote Post
914werke
post Oct 25 2021, 01:57 PM
Post #5

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Do a search in the classifieds (i think) there was a thread not to long ago detailing the differences, not fitment.
Depending on your build date your car may require the additional bracket left off the Dansk tank.
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Oct 25 2021, 02:57 PM
Post #6

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

the ones dansk made were off, we sent two of ours early and late to them to straightne out which they did so now we have perfect fitting ones

QUOTE(EJP914 @ Oct 25 2021, 11:17 AM) *

Got a quote from a local guy (Pittsburgh PA area) for about $400 to clean and coat my '73 gas tank. Sierra Madre has a new one for about $220. A repro made by Dansk. Stoddard has the same one but are out of stock.
I have read somewhere repro tanks don't fit well. Takes some work to get them to fit like the factory one.

Anyone had any experience good or bad with repro tanks? Dont know if Dansk is a good one or not.

Would appreciate any tips and opinions.

EJP914

+Quote Post
EJP914
post Oct 25 2021, 04:51 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 821

George, the listing for a 73 tank on your website tells you filing/grinding is needed and elongating a hole. Are you now saying that none of that is no longer necessary and the tank will drop right in?

I looked at 4 different web sites Parts Geek, Stoddard, Sierra Madre, Auto Atlanta. All show a Dansk mfg tank. However, some had the tab and bracket and others didn't. I wonder which one you will really get. If you get the one w/o the tabs, now you're paying shipping again to send it back.

Might just stick with the one I have and hope it can be cleaned out and coated.

Unless Auto Atlanta would guarantee a fit w/o a lot of filing and modifying???

EJP914
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Oct 25 2021, 06:35 PM
Post #8

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

QUOTE(EJP914 @ Oct 25 2021, 03:51 PM) *

George, the listing for a 73 tank on your website tells you filing/grinding is needed and elongating a hole. Are you now saying that none of that is no longer necessary and the tank will drop right in?

I looked at 4 different web sites Parts Geek, Stoddard, Sierra Madre, Auto Atlanta. All show a Dansk mfg tank. However, some had the tab and bracket and others didn't. I wonder which one you will really get. If you get the one w/o the tabs, now you're paying shipping again to send it back.

Might just stick with the one I have and hope it can be cleaned out and coated.

Unless Auto Atlanta would guarantee a fit w/o a lot of filing and modifying???

EJP914

There is an early and late model tank. At first they said one fits all and got the brackets wrong for the expansion tank.
One issue that I dont know was addressed was the seam is too tall where the bridge is placed.

@EJP914
+Quote Post
BillJ
post Oct 25 2021, 07:02 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 15,610
Region Association: None

I did a diy
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=351248&hl=
+Quote Post
jhynesrockmtn
post Oct 25 2021, 07:29 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 20,100
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Check with your local radiator place. I had mine done for around $250 I believe.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 05:28 PM