Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Inflation: 914 Replacement Parts Prices, Your Thoughts
914Sixer
post Oct 26 2021, 06:30 PM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

With inflation biting everybody in the butt, what are your thoughts about the prices of new replacement parts for the 914? I have not seen any upward movement from the shopping I have done recently other than stupid shipping costs. Thinking it is just a matter of time until it comes down on us. I personally have been hedging my on my purchases. I decided to spend $1k to gather up parts that might be costly later for 2nd build.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
aharder
post Oct 26 2021, 07:12 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,524
Region Association: Southwest Region

Right there with ya on this one. I'm in the process of building a 2056 and the plan was to buy parts as I could so I wouldn't take a big chunk of cash at one time. Well I'm now thinking I need to do that and buy all the major ticket items as soon as possible.

I recently had some powder coating done by a shop I've been dealing with for a long time, ouch.... that cost has changed. Not so much for the local Machine Shop I used to clean the case. Hadn't done any business with them in 10 years and his prices have not gone up yet.
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Oct 26 2021, 07:30 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

Don't know about parts but the sort of steel I use for my fabrication stuff has gone up ~300% in the past year-ish. I just paid $6/ft. for .083 1.5" square tube...
I do all this for fun on my own projects and can't imagine what it's like to be trying to run a business.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
mb911
post Oct 26 2021, 07:46 PM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Terrible supply issue on stainless. Prices through the roof. My aluminum tank cost went up 200%
+Quote Post
davep
post Oct 26 2021, 07:52 PM
Post #5

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

I have been buying some extra parts on occasion/when available for some years now. It took almost a year for one supplier to provide the flywheel I ordered. I just acquired a very nice late 911S alu caliper that I think will match well with my similar NOS caliper. Just need to find another early X version to mate with my other NOS caliper. Not easy finding uncorroded S calipers. But I think that the more unusual parts will keep pace with inflation.
+Quote Post
Van B
post Oct 26 2021, 07:54 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 26,011
Region Association: None

More than inflation, what we’re seeing is a supply problem. You wouldn’t believe how little we make in this country anymore.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Oct 26 2021, 10:47 PM
Post #7

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

Fortunately we make most of the parts we sell here. So you aren't waiting for something to come off a ship. Unfortunately many of the raw materials do. We are having to pay more to our employees (which I happy to do) and costs are going up. We have been able to work on achieving more efficiencies to help offset, but yes costs will be going up. We can mitigate much of it.
I do suspect that those that make parts overseas will have some increases in costs.
+Quote Post
914werke
post Oct 26 2021, 11:33 PM
Post #8

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Oct 26 2021, 06:30 PM) *
Don't know about parts but the sort of steel I use for my fabrication stuff has gone up ~300% in the past year-ish. I just paid $6/ft. for .083 1.5" square tube...
I do all this for fun on my own projects and can't imagine what it's like to be trying to run a business.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Ugh! Steel alum & shipping its all costing more. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Oct 27 2021, 08:20 AM
Post #9

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Turns out actions have consequences. Who would have thought that to the be the case? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

It's sort of a paradox depending on how you look at it. Have prices gone up, or . . . has the value of the dollar has gone down?

If you have big purchases planned, better to make them sooner rather than later given the amount of money that has been printed up between March 2020 and Oct 2021. Much of the inflation that is coming our way has not yet been captured in the Bureau of Labor and Statistics reporting and it's CPI inflation calculator.

The dollar has been devalued by 96% since 1913. And that's assuming the Gov't reported CPI is correct (it's actually under reported). I'll leave it to you to investigage history and understand what happened in 1913 and why CPI is under reported.

https://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
mb911
post Oct 27 2021, 09:23 AM
Post #10

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 26 2021, 08:47 PM) *

Fortunately we make most of the parts we sell here. So you aren't waiting for something to come off a ship. Unfortunately many of the raw materials do. We are having to pay more to our employees (which I happy to do) and costs are going up. We have been able to work on achieving more efficiencies to help offset, but yes costs will be going up. We can mitigate much of it.
I do suspect that those that make parts overseas will have some increases in costs.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) 100%

That's my whole scenario
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Oct 27 2021, 09:26 AM
Post #11

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

I don’t know about y’all but I’ve been investigating in crypto for some time. Only wish I put more in.
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Oct 27 2021, 09:32 AM
Post #12

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 27 2021, 08:26 AM) *

I don’t know about y’all but I’ve been investigating in crypto for some time. Only wish I put more in.

I'd not be one of those.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Oct 27 2021, 11:48 AM
Post #13

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(914_teener @ Oct 27 2021, 11:32 AM) *

I'd not be one of those.

Yeah, would have been terrible to have put $100 into BTC back when it was valued at $0.10 and to have lost it all. Then again, had I done that, those 1000 bitcoins would be worth $58,877,800 as of today. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Wise overlords disclaimer: Past performance is no guarantee of future results.
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Oct 27 2021, 01:11 PM
Post #14

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Oct 27 2021, 10:48 AM) *

QUOTE(914_teener @ Oct 27 2021, 11:32 AM) *

I'd not be one of those.

Yeah, would have been terrible to have put $100 into BTC back when it was valued at $0.10 and to have lost it all. Then again, had I done that, those 1000 bitcoins would be worth $58,877,800 as of today. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Wise overlords disclaimer: Past performance is no guarantee of future results.

I'm not morally inclined to be more specific. My wife is a stock broker so I know a few things but can't disclose. She is my advisor.

The former is ethical.

I have enough money to retire. I've earned it ethically and morally as far as I'm concerned and I intend to spend as much as I can or give it away before I go to the great reward we all get.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 09:43 PM