Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Turn signal indicator light, Only blinks once ...
Chaznaster
post Nov 14 2021, 05:45 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,389
Region Association: North East States

Hi. I have been trying to troubleshoot the turn signal indicator light - the one on the speedo. It's a '74 so only one light that is supposed to blink regardless of the chosen direction. It is not worked since I have the car. The signals themselves and the hazards work fine.

Recently, I went through and replaced the dashboard bulbs and got nearly everything working. Not the turn signal, however. Interestingly, when I disconnect and connect the battery, then switch either the lever on the steering column or the hazards, the light comes on once (yay!) but then refuses to come on again (awww).

My first thought is the hazard relay (the square one on the back of the fuse panel) might be bad. Before trying to replace it (I have read that the new ones are problematic), does anyone have any other suggestions?

If not, what is the most reliable source for that relay these days??

Thank you.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dirk2056
post Nov 14 2021, 05:49 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 21,304
Region Association: Middle East

QUOTE(Chaznaster @ Nov 14 2021, 06:45 PM) *

Hi. I have been trying to troubleshoot the turn signal indicator light - the one on the speedo. It's a '74 so only one light that is supposed to blink regardless of the chosen direction. It is not worked since I have the car. The signals themselves and the hazards work fine.

Recently, I went through and replaced the dashboard bulbs and got nearly everything working. Not the turn signal, however. Interestingly, when I disconnect and connect the battery, then switch either the lever on the steering column or the hazards, the light comes on once (yay!) but then refuses to come on again (awww).

My first thought is the hazard relay (the square one on the back of the fuse panel) might be bad. Before trying to replace it (I have read that the new ones are problematic), does anyone have any other suggestions?

If not, what is the most reliable source for that relay these days??

Thank you.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) Did you change to LED lamps if so need to change relay
+Quote Post
Chaznaster
post Nov 14 2021, 07:52 PM
Post #3

I am running an LED in the dash indicator but filament bulbs in the signals themselves.

I read that with LEDs in the signals there is not enough current to trip the indicator bulb secondary coil and light it. I had not understood the dash LED had the same impact - as it is just a bulb to ground with no logic.

Is a different flasher needed in this case?
+Quote Post
Jim C
post Nov 15 2021, 08:28 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 23,294
Region Association: Southwest Region

I started having the same problem in my '76 which seemed to coincide with driving in a heavy rain. That was months ago so anything should have dried by now, plus the TS never stopped working. I can hear the relay ticking, but no indicator flash in tach after the first one. Research said the relay may be bad so I bought an aftermarket replacement and plugged it in. Upon turning the key indicator began flashing without have turn signals activated, brake warning light began flashing, as did generator light! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Nov 15 2021, 11:30 AM
Post #5

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

the light comes on once (yay!) but then refuses to come on again (awww).

This is a common issue with the old OEM flashers. The secondary coil which powers the tach indicator loses efficiency over time and may flash once or twice then stop.

There is an LED-compatible flasher available EP26 that is pin-compatible with the 914 flasher. It can drive standard bulbs or LEDs. The C2 pin on the EP26 out of the box isn't connected to anything. I modify them to put out 12V on C2 when flashing.

The flashing of the tach indicator is not affected by the type of bulb used in the tach. LED or bulb can be used.
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Nov 15 2021, 12:05 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

2/3 of the way down the page. If you feel motivated, he also links to instructions on modifying one yourself (I bought one from him).

https://www.spokeworksled.com/914-led-solutions?page=2
+Quote Post
Chaznaster
post Nov 15 2021, 02:07 PM
Post #7

Thanks Spoke and GregAmy. This is really helpful. It's great to be able to connect with folks who know so much about 914s! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

I like to fiddle so plan to brave the modification myself. But for a future update to my lighting, I'll be headed over to spokeworks ...
+Quote Post
Jim C
post Nov 15 2021, 02:50 PM
Post #8

Any insight on my problem above? I am using incandescent not LED bulbs.
+Quote Post
Chaznaster
post Nov 15 2021, 03:00 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(Jim C @ Nov 15 2021, 03:50 PM) *

Any insight on my problem above? I am using incandescent not LED bulbs.

It sounds like lots of people are having trouble with new, replacement relays. Likely due to quality control(?). Like you, I am running regular bulbs in the signals themselves and plan to try the modified EP26 option, which I understand will work for LEDs or filament bulbs.
+Quote Post
Chaznaster
post Nov 15 2021, 03:04 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(Spoke @ Nov 15 2021, 12:30 PM) *

This is a common issue with the old OEM flashers. The secondary coil which powers the tach indicator loses efficiency over time and may flash once or twice then stop.

There is an LED-compatible flasher available EP26 that is pin-compatible with the 914 flasher. It can drive standard bulbs or LEDs. The C2 pin on the EP26 out of the box isn't connected to anything. I modify them to put out 12V on C2 when flashing.

The flashing of the tach indicator is not affected by the type of bulb used in the tach. LED or bulb can be used.

I was looking at the wiring diagrams and wonder whether the parking brake light works with the modified EP26 setup. Does it bypass the flasher circuit as in the OEM unit? And/or does it cause the turn signal indicator to light up as well? I am guessing there is only one coil in the EP26?!
+Quote Post
Chaznaster
post Nov 15 2021, 06:37 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(Chaznaster @ Nov 15 2021, 04:04 PM) *

I was looking at the wiring diagrams and wonder whether the parking brake light works with the modified EP26 setup. Does it bypass the flasher circuit as in the OEM unit? And/or does it cause the turn signal indicator to light up as well? I am guessing there is only one coil in the EP26?!

Hang on. I just noticed that parking brake light is tied to the primary relay in the flasher, which always blinks when a load is across it. So no change there.

Still wondering if the C output only flashes the turn signal indicator when the turn signals or hazards are triggered, but not when the parking brake light is on ...
+Quote Post
Jim C
post Nov 16 2021, 08:36 AM
Post #12

Chaznaster, let me know if that relay fixes the problem please.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Nov 16 2021, 10:03 AM
Post #13

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Jim C @ Nov 16 2021, 09:36 AM) *

yes please do, i have this issue as well, but only on right side not left, and its just the indicator , the side flasher flashes just fine.

+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Nov 16 2021, 12:27 PM
Post #14

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Nov 16 2021, 10:03 AM) *

yes please do, i have this issue as well, but only on right side not left, and its just the indicator , the side flasher flashes just fine.

Usually if it is only one side, it is a turn signal bulb is out. That is supposed to be an indicator of a bad bulb.

Clay
+Quote Post
Chaznaster
post Nov 16 2021, 08:40 PM
Post #15

Will do!
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Nov 17 2021, 05:31 AM
Post #16

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

QUOTE(Chaznaster @ Nov 15 2021, 04:04 PM) *

The flasher system on the 914 is independent of the running lights. The only place they intersect is on the 1157 type bulbs which have 2 filaments, one for the running lights and one for the flasher system.

The EP26 will work exactly like the OEM flasher in most ways. They both have low current flashing thresholds so it will flash when the ebrake is pulled or when driving LED turnsignals. The OEM secondary coil shown below is designed to light the tach indicator when flashing as long as two 1157 type bulbs are being lit. This is a safety feature if one turnsignal bulb is burned out; The signals will flash but the tach indicator will not to alert the driver of the bulb failure.

EP26 doesn't have the secondary coil and pin C2 which goes to the tach indicator is open. I run a wire to connect C2 to 12V when flashing and open when not flashing just like the OEM. If you want to do this mod yourself you can pick up an EP26 at your FLAPS and add the wire. I show on my website where to make the connection. With EP26, the tach indicator will flash when you pull the ebrake since C2 will power the tach indicator anytime the unit is flashing.

If you do buy an EP26, make sure it says LED-Compatible as EP26 is a re-used number from a Jeep and some of those units are still around and will not work with LEDs.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Chaznaster
post Dec 3 2021, 06:34 PM
Post #17

UPDATE: IT WORKED (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Following @Spoke 's advice, I bought an LED-ready EP26 (pic) and modified it (pic) and now my turn signal indicator (in the tach) flashes with the turn signals themselves. This is the first time since I own the car. It also blinks when the hazard lights are blinking, but that's a small price to pay for getting things working.

Now I won't drive for miles with the signal on accidentally (it does not turn itself off automatically after a turn but that is a different job for a different day) ...

Thanks Spoke!!

FYI @jim c and @drphil914

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Dec 3 2021, 06:51 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Nov 16 2021, 10:27 AM) *

Usually if it is only one side, it is a turn signal bulb is out. That is supposed to be an indicator of a bad bulb.

Clay

Thanks @ClayPerrine! I've had this problem for a few years, but never got to it. So two working bulbs on the dash will make one of them flash when activated?
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Dec 4 2021, 10:51 AM
Post #19

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(Krieger @ Dec 3 2021, 06:51 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Nov 16 2021, 10:27 AM) *

Clay

Thanks @ClayPerrine! I've had this problem for a few years, but never got to it. So two working bulbs on the dash will make one of them flash when activated?

If you have a turn signal bulb out on either the front or rear the indicator light for that side should flash once and then they will both start flashing dimly. The other side will work correctly.

Hope that helps.

Clay
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Dec 5 2021, 05:52 AM
Post #20

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

@Chaznaster
excellent! thanks for the update. i will have to check this out and see if i can make the same correction.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:00 AM