Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Turn signal indicator light, Only blinks once ...
Van B
post Dec 5 2021, 09:03 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 26,011
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Spoke @ Nov 15 2021, 12:30 PM) *

QUOTE(Chaznaster @ Nov 14 2021, 06:45 PM) *

the light comes on once (yay!) but then refuses to come on again (awww).

This is a common issue with the old OEM flashers. The secondary coil which powers the tach indicator loses efficiency over time and may flash once or twice then stop.

There is an LED-compatible flasher available EP26 that is pin-compatible with the 914 flasher. It can drive standard bulbs or LEDs. The C2 pin on the EP26 out of the box isn't connected to anything. I modify them to put out 12V on C2 when flashing.

The flashing of the tach indicator is not affected by the type of bulb used in the tach. LED or bulb can be used.

@Spoke This is great info! I have basically the same issue on my 1974 1.8L; signals work fine but sometimes the dash indicates, sometimes it gives up after a blink or two lol… I found an old thread from some years back while searching one day. But it was you and some other folks talking about LED conversions mostly. And it was before you had this sweet product line developed.
I’m real interested in doing a a full LED exterior conversion on my 74. I love the idea of leaving my old crusty lenses on, but then having bright LED boards behind them!
I also see that philips makes a H6024 LED headlight.
https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Automotive-L...s/dp/B08DDHJB48

If I were to use those headlights and your fog lights, are there any other surprises I might run into? If I remember correctly, that was the topic of conversation you were pondering on in that old thread.

-Van
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Dec 5 2021, 11:26 AM
Post #22

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

QUOTE(Van B @ Dec 5 2021, 10:03 AM) *

QUOTE(Spoke @ Nov 15 2021, 12:30 PM) *

QUOTE(Chaznaster @ Nov 14 2021, 06:45 PM) *

the light comes on once (yay!) but then refuses to come on again (awww).

This is a common issue with the old OEM flashers. The secondary coil which powers the tach indicator loses efficiency over time and may flash once or twice then stop.

There is an LED-compatible flasher available EP26 that is pin-compatible with the 914 flasher. It can drive standard bulbs or LEDs. The C2 pin on the EP26 out of the box isn't connected to anything. I modify them to put out 12V on C2 when flashing.

The flashing of the tach indicator is not affected by the type of bulb used in the tach. LED or bulb can be used.

@Spoke This is great info! I have basically the same issue on my 1974 1.8L; signals work fine but sometimes the dash indicates, sometimes it gives up after a blink or two lol… I found an old thread from some years back while searching one day. But it was you and some other folks talking about LED conversions mostly. And it was before you had this sweet product line developed.
I’m real interested in doing a a full LED exterior conversion on my 74. I love the idea of leaving my old crusty lenses on, but then having bright LED boards behind them!
I also see that philips makes a H6024 LED headlight.
https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Automotive-L...s/dp/B08DDHJB48

If I were to use those headlights and your fog lights, are there any other surprises I might run into? If I remember correctly, that was the topic of conversation you were pondering on in that old thread.

-Van

@Van B

About LED conversion of turnsignals or headlights, the words 'LED' and 'surprise' should go together. JK (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

For LED headlights, the foglight relay connection needs to be adjusted. The best way is to move the one wire on the headlight high/low relay to ground. It is detailed in the following thread starting at about page 3-4.

LED Headlight + Foglight Issues
+Quote Post
tommy914
post Jul 16 2023, 04:53 PM
Post #23

Life is a journey, enjoy every turn.

Member No.: 1,165

I just installed what was advertised as an EP26 relay but has no external markings on the the relay. When installed, both turn signal indicators blink all the time when key is turned to ignition. When I turn the left or right signal indicator on, only one arrow on the tac will light up like it should, but both light up again when returned center.
Did I get the wrong relay, or do I need to hack the wiring on this one?
Attached Image
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 03:08 AM