Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Automatic Transmission, What is the best automatic transmission to put in a 914 1.7
windforfun
post Nov 22 2021, 07:09 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,476
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Shivers @ Nov 22 2021, 05:07 PM) *

QUOTE(windforfun @ Nov 22 2021, 05:03 PM) *

No no no. Sorry, but why even bother?

Amputee.

Got it. Thanks. I didn't see the earlier post.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Shivers
post Nov 22 2021, 07:12 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 24,781
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(windforfun @ Nov 22 2021, 05:09 PM) *

QUOTE(Shivers @ Nov 22 2021, 05:07 PM) *

QUOTE(windforfun @ Nov 22 2021, 05:03 PM) *

No no no. Sorry, but why even bother?

Amputee.

Got it. Thanks. Didn't see the earlier post.

Hahaha, I knew you would.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Nov 22 2021, 07:12 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Nov 22 2021, 04:00 PM) *

QUOTE(davep @ Nov 22 2021, 04:59 PM) *

I hate raining on someones parade, but this does not seem to be well thought out. Yes, there were 914/6 Sportomatic cars; but they are very rare and not cheap. So why buy a 914/4 before having a complete plan in place? The 914/4 has to be the worst Porsche to convert excepting the 356.

Wouldn't a Subaru transmission work?

You'd have to find a 2WD Subaru trans (pre-1996) or convert an AWD. Then you'd need an adapter plate or convert the engine to Subaru. The 4EAT is pretty big and heavy as well. Late Bus/early Vanagon had type 4 engines. That's the easiest way to go.
+Quote Post
ejm
post Nov 22 2021, 07:22 PM
Post #24

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel

Member No.: 224

Late Bus/early Vanagon had type 4 engines. That's the easiest way to go.

If you want to go backwards. The case design is not conducive to flipping the ring gear.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Nov 22 2021, 08:45 PM
Post #25

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Electric conversion?
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Nov 22 2021, 09:15 PM
Post #26

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Nov 22 2021, 01:26 PM) *

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Nov 22 2021, 01:06 PM) *

QUOTE(ejm @ Nov 22 2021, 11:51 AM) *

While a /4 sporto would be cool there's lots to consider. A sporto box would likely be sourced from a 911 and would need the ring gear flipped. You also need to find a vacuum tank and servo, the special shifter with the electrical contacts and maybe a fluid reservoir since the /6 used the engine oil tank. You'd need to figure out how to circulate oil for the convertor. The /6 used a pump driven off the end of the camshaft but a pump was never developed for a 914/4. You may be able to use something like the double pump from a VW autostick but will likely run into clearance problems with the engine support bar like you do with a dry sump pump. A few of the reasons why I don't think we've ever seen a /4 converted to sportomatic. A full auto from an inline engine front wheel drive VW/Audi is much easier since everything is in the box.

1.8T from an A4 automatic...
Paging Andrew Dalen...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

@Andyrew

It would be a relatively easy conversion to any VAG engine.

+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Nov 22 2021, 10:18 PM
Post #27

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

Nothing bolts up to the stock 1.7, so you are looking at an engine/trans swap to likely the Passat/A4, or EV conversion, or...

...rig a hand lever to the stock clutch pedal.

...or if you are adventurous, rig a solenoid or hydraulic setup to the trans. The clutch cable only moves an inch to disengage.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Nov 23 2021, 12:21 AM
Post #28

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

I'd suggest a well built and sorted Subaru conversion. Then sell the transmission, clutch etc. Next shop JDM"S, junk yards and internet for a Subaru automatic transmission for less than $300 (if not free). Next, buy Subaru gears 2 wheel conversion package ($2500, for the Automatic transmission and Bingo. @Chris H., it's about the same length after you shorten it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Nov 23 2021, 01:26 AM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 22 2021, 08:45 PM) *

Electric conversion?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

bonus - going to accelerate hard too - done right.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Nov 23 2021, 08:59 AM
Post #30

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

And (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Nov 23 2021, 09:53 AM
Post #31

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Nov 22 2021, 07:47 AM) *

If it were me, I would put in a sportomatic instead. It gives you all the fun of shifiting without the clutch. And there are only a few sportomatic cars out there.

Clay

The purist in me loves this idea - keeps it in the family. Drove a friends VW bug with an AutoStick and it was pretty interesting to drive. Like Clay said, fun of shifting without the clutch.

Never see Sportomatics on the road so there's extra points there for novelty. Wondering how hard it would be to come up with the parts?

Beyond that, this is one of the few times I'd say I'd be down with an electric 914.

In this day and age of cheap linear actuators and stepper motors, I'd be thinking about putting a switch on the shift ball and using that to trigger an electric motor to take care of the clutch apply & release. Would take some creative programming of a microcontroller to manage the clutch modulation though. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Nov 26 2021, 09:39 AM
Post #32

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Nov 23 2021, 09:53 AM) *

If it were me, I would put in a sportomatic instead. It gives you all the fun of shifiting without the clutch. And there are only a few sportomatic cars out there.

Clay

The purist in me loves this idea - keeps it in the family. Drove a friends VW bug with an AutoStick and it was pretty interesting to drive. Like Clay said, fun of shifting without the clutch.

Never see Sportomatics on the road so there's extra points there for novelty. Wondering how hard it would be to come up with the parts?

Just buy a sporto from a 911 (there is one on Ebay right now) and get the 914 specific parts for it. THe sporto shifter and pedals are the same between the 911 and 914. If you are doing a /4, then you will need a flex plate for a 411/412, and some way to get oil pressure to the transmission.

+Quote Post
930cabman
post Nov 26 2021, 01:18 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Nov 23 2021, 10:53 AM) *

Clay

Beyond that, this is one of the few times I'd say I'd be down with an electric 914.

In this day and age of cheap linear actuators and stepper motors, I'd be thinking about putting a switch on the shift ball and using that to trigger an electric motor to take care of the clutch apply & release. Would take some creative programming of a microcontroller to manage the clutch modulation though. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

+1, my mom had one in a 1968 Beetle back in the day, we called it a "touch clutch". Reasonably simple and it worked great for many years, but I do recall replacing a small fine gauge wire feeding the shift lever. It's 50 years ago
+Quote Post
stownsen914
post Nov 26 2021, 09:07 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 6,985

I've got a Sportomatic core trans for sale, in case you decide you go that direction. Shoot me a PM if any interest.
+Quote Post
burton73
post Nov 30 2021, 04:12 PM
Post #35

burton73

Member No.: 7,414

My wife had a 70-super beetle with an automatic stick shift when I was dating her in High School. It really was just an automatic clutch. When you touched the shifter, it went into neutral and it was very easy to drive. You just shifted the car and really you could just drive in the 2nd gear and if you where going to go up a steep hill you put it in 1st, if you where going fast you just shifted to third. Very easy to drive.

I drove it very, very hard and it never broke on us.

Bob B
+Quote Post
73-914
post Nov 30 2021, 04:45 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 11,651

QUOTE(burton73 @ Nov 30 2021, 05:12 PM) *

My wife had a 70-super beetle with an automatic stick shift when I was dating her in High School. It really was just an automatic clutch. When you touched the shifter, it went into neutral and it was very easy to drive. You just shifted the car and really you could just drive in the 2nd gear and if you where going to go up a steep hill you put it in 1st, if you where going fast you just shifted to third. Very easy to drive.

I drove it very, very hard and it never broke on us.

Bob B

My mother had 1 also. It was fun holding the shifter while it was in first gear . Rev up the engine + release the shifter.
+Quote Post
flyer86d
post Nov 30 2021, 05:39 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 12,585
Region Association: North East States

I’m getting old and I forget a lot but didn’t the VW 411 come with an automatic option? If so, could the ring gear be flopped? If not, the type 3.

Charlie
+Quote Post
oldie914
post Dec 1 2021, 02:09 AM
Post #38

Member No.: 11,680

I've got a copy of the 100 page tech information bulletin Porsche sent to dealers in 1970 to provide them maintenance information. It includes 4 or 5 pages showing technical details of the sportomatic transmission installation in 914/4 and 914/6, although I don't think Porsche actually built any 914/4 sportomatics.
It is in German but I'm sure it could be fed into some sort of computer programs to digitalize and translate. Let me know if you decide to go with a sporto and I will send you a copy of the transmission pages.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Dec 1 2021, 05:47 AM
Post #39

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

What part of your body was amputated? Could you add a hand controlled clutch control level like a motorcycle clutch to a custom made shift lever? Clutch modulation would be the same as a motorcycle. Of this is possible you could be driving in a couple days. Sorry to ask for additional personal info but it would help us understand how to best assist.
+Quote Post
Shivers
post Dec 1 2021, 07:06 AM
Post #40

Member No.: 24,781

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Dec 1 2021, 03:47 AM) *

What part of your body was amputated? Could you add a hand controlled clutch control level like a motorcycle clutch to a custom made shift lever? Clutch modulation would be the same as a motorcycle. Of this is possible you could be driving in a couple days. Sorry to ask for additional personal info but it would help us understand how to best assist.

You know Rick, that could work. My cousin lost his leg and had to alter his life. I just assumed that was what was up. A devise like this built to proper proportions should allow a tall shift knob, angled forward a bit with a m/c clutch handle.

Attached Image
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 08:30 PM