Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Synchro in 1st gear?
flyer86d
post Nov 24 2021, 03:05 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,585
Region Association: North East States

When we had our 71 914, we eventually lost 1st gear. The dog teeth were shot and it wouldn’t stay in gear. I yanked the trans and my friend in the business repaired 1st, freshened up 2nd and changed the rest to MSX ratios as well as the bearings. The following weekend, we had a track event and time trial at Pocono. The trans shifted slick as could be mad the gearing was great. During the time trial coming off of the tri-oval into the infield, a 4th to 3rd shift was required. Sue was driving the car and at that shift point, she pulled the box into 1st as slick as could be by mistake. We were running slicks and needless to say, zinged the engine. We didn’t know how badly we hurt it and drove it home!!! I replaced the bottom end as we ran a rod bearing, scored the crank, etc.

Can’t you repair first gear by removing the tail cover leaving the trans in the car?

Charlie
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Nov 24 2021, 07:53 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 21,449
Region Association: South East States

Charlie -

Please quit reading my mind. I was thinking the same question, only I need to redo the synchro for 2nd gear too, and probably dog teeth for both. Decades since I've worked on manual trannies, and don't remember much, and no experience with Porsche trannies of any kind.

I'm sure the brain-trust here can answer you question about 1st - and 2nd.

I have zero problems with any other gears.....well, 3rd is always hard to get into gear, but never crunches.

And as I said - 1st to 2nd is rarely a problem on upshifts. And only occasionally a problem on downshifts from 3rd.

GN

QUOTE(flyer86d @ Nov 24 2021, 04:05 PM) *

When we had our 71 914, we eventually lost 1st gear. The dog teeth were shot and it wouldn’t stay in gear. I yanked the trans and my friend in the business repaired 1st, freshened up 2nd and changed the rest to MSX ratios as well as the bearings. The following weekend, we had a track event and time trial at Pocono. The trans shifted slick as could be mad the gearing was great. During the time trial coming off of the tri-oval into the infield, a 4th to 3rd shift was required. Sue was driving the car and at that shift point, she pulled the box into 1st as slick as could be by mistake. We were running slicks and needless to say, zinged the engine. We didn’t know how badly we hurt it and drove it home!!! I replaced the bottom end as we ran a rod bearing, scored the crank, etc.

Can’t you repair first gear by removing the tail cover leaving the trans in the car?

Charlie

+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Nov 26 2021, 11:57 AM
Post #23

Can anyone answer Charlie's question in Post #21 and then mine in #22 about accesing 1st & 2nd gear w/o dropping the tranny?

TIA,

GN
+Quote Post
Rand
post Nov 26 2021, 09:12 PM
Post #24

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573
Region Association: None

And third to first? Yes, much nicer.

You do need to make sure your linkage is spiff and adjusted. And no weakness at the firewall where the clutch cable comes through. And... I hope you don't have to dig into the transmission for synchros and such.... Although, do it and you're good forever.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Nov 27 2021, 09:11 AM
Post #25

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Nov 26 2021, 12:57 PM) *

Can anyone answer Charlie's question in Post #21 and then mine in #22 about accesing 1st & 2nd gear w/o dropping the tranny?

TIA,

GN

maybe?? but dont, just pull the transmission - its so much easier i think to pull and align it going back in with it standing up, i remember Mike L.(drevil) saying just pull id and do it out, because its much easier to drop it into place putting it back together and lining it up with the seal , otherwise the seal can be pushed out you are not lining up properly.
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Nov 27 2021, 09:14 AM
Post #26

Rand -

I cannot imagine my linkage being any tighter than it is. I totally rebuilt the linkage a couple years ago and made some additional improvements of my own where I removed some slack/slop that was left even with all new bushings/fittings.

RickB45 has a totally restored '72 2.0 with all new bushings and my linkage is much tighter than his.

Linkage very tight at firewall.

Still not clear - sorry: can I drop tranny behind differential w/o dropping clutch & differential? Leaving clutch housing, differential & axles in place?

TIA again,

GN

QUOTE(Rand @ Nov 26 2021, 10:12 PM) *

And third to first? Yes, much nicer.

You do need to make sure your linkage is spiff and adjusted. And no weakness at the firewall where the clutch cable comes through. And... I hope you don't have to dig into the transmission for synchros and such.... Although, do it and you're good forever.

+Quote Post
Shivers
post Nov 27 2021, 09:23 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 24,781
Region Association: Southern California

Easy answer is yes. The whole cluster and intermittent plate. But then you have to put it back in, keeping all the surfaces clean, making sure the input shaft to the trans doesn't pop out the seal in the bell housing. Can't see to guide it. Another 1.5 hours you could have it on a bench. And could save yourself having to pull it later anyways to fix all the leaks. Or it may all work out fine, good luck.
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Nov 27 2021, 08:14 PM
Post #28

Shivers -

Older = wiser. At least a bit. You sold me.

Out and on the bench goes the whole unit. But might be spring before I can get to it - and with no heat in my shop/garage, April.

Just the information I needed to make a decision - and a plan. Invaluable information.

Thank you so much.

GN

QUOTE(Shivers @ Nov 27 2021, 10:23 AM) *

Easy answer is yes. The whole cluster and intermittent plate. But then you have to put it back in, keeping all the surfaces clean, making sure the input shaft to the trans doesn't pop out the seal in the bell housing. Can't see to guide it. Another 1.5 hours you could have it on a bench. And could save yourself having to pull it later anyways to fix all the leaks. Or it may all work out fine, good luck.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 01:46 AM