Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> With rising popularity, should 914s be kept stock?, Originality
unpolire
post Nov 24 2021, 02:48 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,260
Region Association: Southern California

For years now since owning my first 1971 914, I have seen heavy modifications such as rotary engines, turbocharger additions, V-8 conversions, and 914-6 engine conversions. Now, with rising values and losses due to wrecks and rust, how many unmodified 914s are left? Even the best Porsche tuners in the world have touched the stock 914 or 914-6 and tastefully upgraded them making them remarkable machines.

Is the time for modifications coming to a close and preservation becoming more of a priority? As a multi-marque car collector, I feel that original 914s are now the rarity. Or does the community feel that reversible modifications are OK now? I know that the originality forum of 914World is the definitive answer for all things original 914. But is that just for the small concours original community or is it migrating towards all 914 owners?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Nov 24 2021, 03:06 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

of course unless they are dragged out of a field and saved, then anything goes and we. should all be happy that someone dedicated themselves to saving the car.

The same amount of energy and time is required to modify or build back (better lol) originally, and the original cars are MUCH more valuable
+Quote Post
StarBear
post Nov 24 2021, 03:16 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 10,753
Region Association: North East States

My 74 1.8L is stock and original with only a few improvement mods (fuel pump relocation, Ford starter solenoid and SS braided fuel lines. Otherwise, unmolested as original owner. There are a few of them (and us) out there. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Only left rear panel replaced (bubble rust) and all original paint, carpet, and records. This , I think adds quite a bit to its ultimate value.
Do like many of other’s mods, though.
+Quote Post
mlindner
post Nov 24 2021, 03:36 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 13,770
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Nope
+Quote Post
Wew
post Nov 24 2021, 03:47 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 18,335

Not to hijack this thread, but could someone please clarify what exactly is stock?

Meaning if you build a 2056 from the original 2.0 block is that still stock?

New heads?

Moving fuel pump from engine compartment to the frunk?
Stainless steel fuel lines instead of the plastic.

Electronic ignition rather than the points and condenser?

Or is stock simply the way it rolled off the showroom floor and that's it.

Of course I did the ultimate sin and put the badge on mine, which I like the look.

I am waffling about removing it.

I would consider removing it if I were to sell it (which I have no plans) however with the above being done to the car to improve it in my opinion, other than the badge, is it stock?

Gauges, rims, body, motor, transmission all numbers matching.

As the good Dr. recommends and I agree, I would keep it stock, just not sure exactly what stock means.

Looking forward to the input.

At Least I am not asking about what type of oil you should use.....Doh!
+Quote Post
Shivers
post Nov 24 2021, 03:49 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 24,781

When I got mine it was bone stock. Over the years I have unbolted stock parts and replaced them with better parts that bolted right back into the stock location. I went and shot an Austin gathering, every engine compartment was different. The 914 was designed for a six cylinder and Porsche put them in. I would not mess with an LE or and original six, they are fine the way they are. Inside of most 914-4's is a 914-6 (or 8) trying to get out. Just my opinion, the salt is behind you
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
914e
post Nov 24 2021, 03:56 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 23,951
Region Association: Southwest Region

The nimble 914 wants to run free in its native habitat of twisty mountain roads, it should not spend the rest of its days confined to a garage or trailer.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
emerygt350
post Nov 24 2021, 04:16 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 25,740

QUOTE(914e @ Nov 24 2021, 04:56 PM) *

The nimble 914 wants to run free in its native habitat of twisty mountain roads, it should not spend the rest of its days confined to a garage or trailer.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Exactly!

That's why I bought chalon... Ain't no going back from that. Just enjoyment. I guess I could buy new panels but why? My car is a little bit of the 80s and a little bit of the 70s. I suspect people in my generation (x) will have more interest in this relic of early 80s mods than previous generations.

+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Nov 24 2021, 04:24 PM
Post #9

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Like most things, it depends.:

If I bought a nice original example, yes, would leave it alone.

It's why I bought an already butchered 914-6. Even that is going back to a "stock" looking 914.

2 cents
+Quote Post
Van B
post Nov 24 2021, 04:33 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 26,011

Originality is a farce in a time where more and more parts show up as NLA.

That said, any build should be cohesive. Emery’s Chalon should be full on, and my ‘74 1.8L should be simple and period correct. Why? Because each car is different and each owner is different. The owners and the story are part of the car. You can’t separate them.

All you “value buyers” should go find something else. The 914 was always meant to be a cheap fun car that must be driven often to run well.
+Quote Post
Steve
post Nov 24 2021, 04:54 PM
Post #11

914 Guru

Member No.: 822

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Nov 24 2021, 02:24 PM) *

It's why I bought an already butchered 914-6. Even that is going back to a "stock" looking 914.

2 cents

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
Personally since I only have a two car garage, I wouldn’t own a stock 914. There worth too much money and I like a lot of power. There are plenty of modified 914’s out there. I would buy one of those versus destroying a stock 914. I saw a killer deal on a stock Karman Ghia, but I didn’t buy it because I know I wouldn’t be happy with it and I didn’t want to ruin it.
+Quote Post
StarBear
post Nov 24 2021, 05:01 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 10,753

QUOTE(Steve @ Nov 24 2021, 05:54 PM) *

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Nov 24 2021, 02:24 PM) *

2 cents

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
Personally since I only have a two car garage, I wouldn’t own a stock 914. There worth too much money and I like a lot of power. There are plenty of modified 914’s out there. I would buy one of those versus destroying a stock 914. I saw a killer deal on a stock Karman Ghia, but I didn’t buy it because I know I wouldn’t be happy with it and I didn’t want to ruin it.

My thoughts/ opinion too.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
jagalyn
post Nov 24 2021, 05:44 PM
Post #13

True Patina

Member No.: 5,503

With the 914, there is room for everyone. That’s what makes the world go round.

I've seen extremely nice modified cars that command prices that compete with and sometimes exceed the very best stock 914/4.

I think there will always be a range of 914's from completely stock to heavily modified that will continue to increase in value... as always condition will be the determining factor on how much.
+Quote Post
unpolire
post Nov 24 2021, 05:48 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 9,260

QUOTE(Wew @ Nov 24 2021, 01:47 PM) *

Not to hijack this thread, but could someone please clarify what exactly is stock?

Meaning if you build a 2056 from the original 2.0 block is that still stock?

New heads?

Moving fuel pump from engine compartment to the frunk?
Stainless steel fuel lines instead of the plastic.

Electronic ignition rather than the points and condenser?

Or is stock simply the way it rolled off the showroom floor and that's it.

Of course I did the ultimate sin and put the badge on mine, which I like the look.

I am waffling about removing it.

I would consider removing it if I were to sell it (which I have no plans) however with the above being done to the car to improve it in my opinion, other than the badge, is it stock?

Gauges, rims, body, motor, transmission all numbers matching.

As the good Dr. recommends and I agree, I would keep it stock, just not sure exactly what stock means.

Looking forward to the input.

At Least I am not asking about what type of oil you should use.....Doh!

Well, replacing wear components and safety items (plastic fuel lines!), in addition to upgraded mechanicals for longevity, make logical sense and are highly desirable to keep 914s on the road. I guess that there will always be stock original, restomodded, and wild versions. I may start buying any 914 now to preserve them. I could have 25 of them if I had thought heavily about this beforehand! People were doing two for one sales, usually a roller and a non-runner. Didn't have the space then, but now I do!
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Nov 24 2021, 05:56 PM
Post #15

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

That ship has already sailed. Due to it's NARP status for years, modifications weren't considered blasphemous, or even questioned for that matter. Fine, it is what it is.

Going forward, owners will need to evaluate their car differently, depending on how far it's descended down the rabbit hole. Originality can't be 'reclaimed', especially with the paucity of restorable and OEM parts available. IMO, true survivors, sympathetic restorations and period correct cars will offer the greatest value for collectors entering the market. 100 point restorations will always be attractive to big dollar collectors, especially as interest in the 914 continues to rise.

For my own part, I've owned my '74 2.0 since 2006. When purchased, it was 'substantially' stock, needing paint and other cosmetic touches. I left it that way for a few years until a small accident squashed the front fender leading to a makeover I'd been planning for years. Front and rear bumpers were backdated to '72 to delete the bumpetr tits, sail panel vinyl was deleted and trim holes welded shut, DOT warts were removed. The car was fully repainted in it's 'correct' color, Marathon Blue; but the bumpers and sail panels were also painted that color. The goal was to replicate an old school look of the early 914s. Instead of black valances and rocker covers, they were painted a complimentary dark blue and the Mahle wheels were also painted that color with the ribs and lips left silver. If you're interested, here's a link to the makeover: Making lemonade
All this said, it still has it's correct D-jet, 2.0 engine (rebuilt with euro pistons by PO), side shift tranny (rebuilt), correct interior, incl. working backpad light, and the patina of a well driven car. I wouldn't call it stock, but modified would be a pretty strong word for the changes, I think. Bottom line is that it's my car and I did what I wanted but maintained the 'essence' of the 914 character.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Shivers
post Nov 24 2021, 06:10 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 24,781

@KELTY360

Sure came out nice. My 72' they had painted the bumpers yellow at the factory, but then they sprayed them black. That always bugged me
+Quote Post
SKL1
post Nov 24 2021, 06:29 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 12,732
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Looks nice Kelty.

Had my early '71 since new and over the years have done numerous "mods" including all OEM "6" brakes and suspension pieces (back when you could get them!) and when it needed a repaint (in OEM silver metallic) I went for the euro lighting look and thankfully got rid of the front warts. So it looks pretty "original" and I actually don't care as the car will never be for sale and will stay in the family after I'm long gone.

Did basically the same thing to my '73 2.0 and got rid of the front bumper tits, warts, etc. That car ain't for sale either. I have two boys (and two grandsons) and they're spoken for!!
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Nov 24 2021, 06:32 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877

Depends on your mood of the day, original cars have a place, modified cars have a place and everything in between also has a place. I currently have 3 914's in the stable, one nearly original, one rat rod and one highly modified/6.
Life isn't too bad

BTW: Happy Thanks giving to all
+Quote Post
Wew
post Nov 24 2021, 06:38 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 18,335

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Nov 24 2021, 03:56 PM) *

That ship has already sailed. Due to it's NARP status for years, modifications weren't considered blasphemous, or even questioned for that matter. Fine, it is what it is.

Going forward, owners will need to evaluate their car differently, depending on how far it's descended down the rabbit hole. Originality can't be 'reclaimed', especially with the paucity of restorable and OEM parts available. IMO, true survivors, sympathetic restorations and period correct cars will offer the greatest value for collectors entering the market. 100 point restorations will always be attractive to big dollar collectors, especially as interest in the 914 continues to rise.

For my own part, I've owned my '74 2.0 since 2006. When purchased, it was 'substantially' stock, needing paint and other cosmetic touches. I left it that way for a few years until a small accident squashed the front fender leading to a makeover I'd been planning for years. Front and rear bumpers were backdated to '72 to delete the bumpetr tits, sail panel vinyl was deleted and trim holes welded shut, DOT warts were removed. The car was fully repainted in it's 'correct' color, Marathon Blue; but the bumpers and sail panels were also painted that color. The goal was to replicate an old school look of the early 914s. Instead of black valances and rocker covers, they were painted a complimentary dark blue and the Mahle wheels were also painted that color with the ribs and lips left silver. If you're interested, here's a link to the makeover: Making lemonade
All this said, it still has it's correct D-jet, 2.0 engine (rebuilt with euro pistons by PO), side shift tranny (rebuilt), correct interior, incl. working backpad light, and the patina of a well driven car. I wouldn't call it stock, but modified would be a pretty strong word for the changes, I think. Bottom line is that it's my car and I did what I wanted but maintained the 'essence' of the 914 character.

Attached Image

Beautiful
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Nov 24 2021, 07:02 PM
Post #20

Custom Member

Member No.: 124

Personally I can’t resist modifying any car.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:10 PM