Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 914/6 alternator change out., Replace alternator.
914Toy
post Nov 28 2021, 01:43 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,596
Region Association: Southern California

As most of you know, removing/installing an alternator in our 6's without dropping the engine is a challenge, due to the engine firewall and fan shroud minimum access configuration. I have accomplished this in the past with the aid of a good sized hatch in the firewall - even so, it was still a challenge.

My alternator failed (probably voltage regulator problem) on the way to the recent "Unstock event". Fortunately Pelican Parts suggested I return this 175 amp (WASP) alternator under warranty (installed a year ago) for full value replacement with a new one. The high amp is to accommodate the electric AC i have installed in my car.

It took a couple of weeks to complete return and delivery of the alternators. During this time started by the challenge of removing the used alternator, I decided to research and make modifications to the fan shroud to accommodate an easier exchange of the alternator. I did not find much in my research, so i proceeded to modify the fibre glass shroud cover to give access to the alternator. The following pics show what I did, and after a test run proved as successful.

Attached Image
Shows where I cut (Dremel with thin cutting wheel) the fibre glass shroud.

Attached Image Shows the piece removed.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Shows the strips of thin aluminum sheet riveted to both sides of the shroud piece, with a 1/4" overlap to sandwich the large remaining shroud edge in place.

Attached Image
Shows access to the alternator and it's wiring before returning the now removable piece of shroud for such access.

Attached Image
Finished installation.

This was worth the effort, which greatly reduced the challenge of remove/replace alternators in our 914/6's.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th May 2024 - 10:47 AM