Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Father/Daughter Build, 1973 1.7L One Family Car
Hollybrook
post Nov 28 2021, 04:01 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,788
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I've been lurking here for a few years, but this is my first post so I guess an introduction is in order. My name is Wayne and though I actually don't have a Porsche, I do have a 1992 Mercedes Benz 500E that Porsche had a big hand in designing and building. I also have a Datsun 260Z and used to race a 240Z in SCCA road racing. My 260Z was heading to the garage for restoration until my wife convinced me that my daughter's 914 needed to be done first.

My youngest daughter, Annika, is sharing this account while we work on the project. She recently graduated from college with a degree in civil engineering and a minor in mechanical engineering technology. I think you will enjoy getting to know her!

The car in question is a 1973 1.7L 914 that my brother and sister in law bought new and drove as their only car for many years. As their family grew, the car ended up in the driveway under a tarp until it was offered to Annika as a gift. We thought it needed a tune-up and some paint work. As we started looking at the car, it became obvious that it had serious hell hole rust and would need lots of loving care to get back on the road. At the time, Annika was a junior in high school without the financial resources for a project of this magnitude. so back under the tarp it went until she got a career type job and started building up a fund for the project.

We are quite lucky to have my brother in law and original owner, John, helping us with this build. John is a car enthusiast and used to crew for me on my race team. Not to mention, he did all the work on this car over its life and his historical perspective will be invaluable.

Here we are in January 2016 loading the car onto a trailer for the trip back home.
Attached Image

A very excited car owner!
Attached Image

After a quick wash in our drveway.
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
Hollybrook
post Nov 28 2021, 04:14 PM
Post #2

The tarp came off today so we could see what condition the car is in now. The good news is that it is pretty much just like how we stored it.

Here are Annika and John with big smiles on their faces.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Shivers
post Nov 28 2021, 04:17 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 24,781
Region Association: Southern California

Farout, this will be a great project. Love the rims and the rack. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
Van B
post Nov 28 2021, 04:18 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 26,011
Region Association: None

Welcome!!!! So cool! I’m across the river from you all in Southern Maryland. I have the same color car as a 74 1.8L that I bought in Atlanta a couple months ago.

Also, I just paid a nice price for those same ATS wheels! Those are the coolest wheels from the era and definitely keepers in my book!
+Quote Post
Hollybrook
post Nov 28 2021, 04:24 PM
Post #5

Thanks for the welcome!

Unfortunately, we only have three of the ATS rims -- 2 5.5" and one 6". I wish we could find another 6" rim, but have not had much luck when I poke around.

W
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Nov 28 2021, 04:28 PM
Post #6

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Member No.: 17,042

Great story, Wayne (and Annika). Until about 2 years ago I was full time in NoVA, too.

The great feeling of bringing one home on a trailer (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Then the real work starts (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Good luck to both of you, and look forward to hearing the progress.
+Quote Post
Hollybrook
post Nov 28 2021, 04:30 PM
Post #7

I should add that this will not be a 100% stock garage queen. Annika wants a car for driving and is probably going to make choices for best performance over a show car.

And I'm quite happy with that as I believe cars should be driven!

W
+Quote Post
Shivers
post Nov 28 2021, 04:47 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 24,781
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Hollybrook @ Nov 28 2021, 02:30 PM) *

I should add that this will not be a 100% stock garage queen. Annika wants a car for driving and is probably going to make choices for best performance over a show car.

And I'm quite happy with that as I believe cars should be driven!

Well you guy's came to the right place...It's like Baskin Robbins around here. From 4 to 8 cylinders, air or water cooled, you'll find guidance here.
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Nov 28 2021, 05:01 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

love the ATS
+Quote Post
Puebloswatcop
post Nov 28 2021, 05:38 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 18,258
Region Association: Southwest Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) I think its awesome that you are doing this as a father / daughter project. Hope it is fun for you both. Cant wait to watch the build go on. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Nov 28 2021, 06:13 PM
Post #11

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Nov 28 2021, 06:23 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 21,449
Region Association: South East States

Wayne & Anika -

WELCOME! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

I'm just 2 hours or less south of you and would love to drive my 914 up to see you all some time as you do this recovery.

Will love to be watching it here....

GN

PS: Where did Anika get her degrees? I have 2 engineer sons, Civil one went to VA Tech, the other ODU was Mechanical - now a Navy helo pilot.

QUOTE(Hollybrook @ Nov 28 2021, 05:01 PM) *

I've been lurking here for a few years, but this is my first post so I guess an introduction is in order. My name is Wayne and though I actually don't have a Porsche, I do have a 1992 Mercedes Benz 500E that Porsche had a big hand in designing and building. I also have a Datsun 260Z and used to race a 240Z in SCCA road racing. My 260Z was heading to the garage for restoration until my wife convinced me that my daughter's 914 needed to be done first.

My youngest daughter, Annika, is sharing this account while we work on the project. She recently graduated from college with a degree in civil engineering and a minor in mechanical engineering technology. I think you will enjoy getting to know her!

The car in question is a 1973 1.7L 914 that my brother and sister in law bought new and drove as their only car for many years. As their family grew, the car ended up in the driveway under a tarp until it was offered to Annika as a gift. We thought it needed a tune-up and some paint work. As we started looking at the car, it became obvious that it had serious hell hole rust and would need lots of loving care to get back on the road. At the time, Annika was a junior in high school without the financial resources for a project of this magnitude. so back under the tarp it went until she got a career type job and started building up a fund for the project.

We are quite lucky to have my brother in law and original owner, John, helping us with this build. John is a car enthusiast and used to crew for me on my race team. Not to mention, he did all the work on this car over its life and his historical perspective will be invaluable.

Here we are in January 2016 loading the car onto a trailer for the trip back home.

A very excited car owner!

After a quick wash in our drveway.

+Quote Post
Van B
post Nov 28 2021, 06:47 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 26,011
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Hollybrook @ Nov 28 2021, 05:24 PM) *

Thanks for the welcome!

Unfortunately, we only have three of the ATS rims -- 2 5.5" and one 6". I wish we could find another 6" rim, but have not had much luck when I poke around.

W

I got 5.5” on all four corners. And I’m going for tall boy tires to get my speedo as accurate as possible. Even a mildly staggered setup would make zero sense on a wimpy 1.8L.
You got a long road ahead so plenty of time to source another 6” wheel!
+Quote Post
Hollybrook
post Nov 28 2021, 06:57 PM
Post #14

Hello! What a coincidence! I got my Civil Engineering degree from ODU! I started out Mechanical then wanted to do Civil but after an internship with the Navy wanted to do Electrical

A

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Nov 28 2021, 07:23 PM) *

Wayne & Anika -

I'm just 2 hours or less south of you and would love to drive my 914 up to see you all some time as you do this recovery.

GN

PS: Where did Anika get her degrees? I have 2 engineer sons, Civil one went to VA Tech, the other ODU was Mechanical - now a Navy helo pilot.
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Nov 28 2021, 08:06 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 21,449
Region Association: South East States

A -

That is indeed a fun coincidence. I am an EE who should have done ME - but then it's the way my career path steered me more than my choice. That's why I love wrenching so much.

Think it is fantastic you and your dad are doing this together. You'll be grateful for the experience and time together all you life.

I have 3 daughters - oldest a UVA grad in Lingustics (speaks Portuguese and Spanish) working on her masters in Ed now, another a very successful realtor, another a creative artist and gourmet cook who is in accounting in a Fortune 500 company.

When weather turns warm again, I'll have to drive my 914 up your way.

GN

QUOTE(Hollybrook @ Nov 28 2021, 07:57 PM) *

Hello! What a coincidence! I got my Civil Engineering degree from ODU! I started out Mechanical then wanted to do Civil but after an internship with the Navy wanted to do Electrical

A

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Nov 28 2021, 07:23 PM) *

Wayne & Anika -

GN

+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Nov 29 2021, 07:45 AM
Post #16

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) What a terrific car to begin with. I love that your daughter is into the 914. Great career path she chose too. Please keep the pictures coming as you begin the resurrection of this great car. The fact it is a family owned since new car makes it all the better. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Dion
post Nov 29 2021, 08:25 AM
Post #17

RN

Member No.: 2,766

Absolutely fantastic. Glad you posted this. Good luck with all. Most importantly have fun with this experience…My son is at George Mason in VA studying Mechanical Engineering He’s slowly getting his 944 sorted. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
mbseto
post Nov 29 2021, 08:48 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 17,743
Region Association: North East States

Cool project! Looking forward to watching this happen.
+Quote Post
flipb
post Nov 29 2021, 09:20 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 10,752

Welcome! I am nearby in Fairfax (22031) with my own yellow 914. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Mine is by no means a stunner, but I'm happy to meet up and share it if you need a little inspiration.

DM me if you'd like to connect.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
krazykonrad
post Nov 29 2021, 11:20 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 5,610

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
Let us know how we can help.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 11:23 AM