Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Question to the braintrust for motor building
Mikey914
post Nov 30 2021, 11:27 AM
Post #1

The rubber man

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

Looking to make a larger motor (4) planning on a 2665, as I don;t really want to go over 103mm to make cooling easier.

The 80 crank is available for stock rods not the Chevy rods. It is my understanding that the Chevy option offers a significant upgrade to the strength. I'm tempted to do the stock.

My question is : should I wait an indeterminate time for the crank with the Chevy rod option? What am I really loosing here? or is this just a must for the larger motors?

My 1st engine build.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Mikey914
post Dec 1 2021, 02:19 PM
Post #2

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

Thanks all,
This was the kind of feedback O was looking for. Definitely a few things to think on. We were looking at makung the biral cylinders here and had an idea for a twist on them that could improve cooling. I get that voids would be an issue. My idea was to utilize a process that we could replicate, and if the results were consistent, we would only have to to QC on a few in each batch.

The 78mm crank is a good point.

I think we can develop a pretty solid motor. The testing will be the most fun.

Mark
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Dec 1 2021, 02:43 PM
Post #3

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 1 2021, 03:19 PM) *

Thanks all,
This was the kind of feedback O was looking for. Definitely a few things to think on. We were looking at makung the biral cylinders here and had an idea for a twist on them that could improve cooling. I get that voids would be an issue. My idea was to utilize a process that we could replicate, and if the results were consistent, we would only have to to QC on a few in each batch.

Mark

My advice...don't. There's already too many players in that market.

Stick with your niche, if you need to expand cover the rubber/plastic (etc) parts for 356 and 911, venture into other cars, etc.
+Quote Post
NARP74
post Dec 1 2021, 05:04 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 24,549
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 1 2021, 01:43 PM) *

Thanks all,
This was the kind of feedback O was looking for. Definitely a few things to think on. We were looking at making the biral cylinders here and had an idea for a twist on them that could improve cooling. I get that voids would be an issue. My idea was to utilize a process that we could replicate, and if the results were consistent, we would only have to to QC on a few in each batch.

Mark

Stick with your niche, if you need to expand cover the rubber/plastic (etc) parts for 356 and 911, venture into other cars, etc.

New to the game here; so who are all of these players? I was just looking for them a while ago, needing a new or rebuilt engine. I found Raby, too expensive for me. I found some builders that went out of business. I found some builders scattered around the country but not convenient for shipping and expensive. I found a race shop several hours west of me, very expensive. I found one local builder that does a lot of VW stuff, he is booked out 6 to 9 months. And that has been the end of my work.

I am sure I have missed some. But from my perspective I would say go for it!
+Quote Post
barnfind9141972
post Dec 1 2021, 09:39 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 24,976
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(NARP74 @ Dec 1 2021, 03:04 PM) *

Thanks all,
This was the kind of feedback O was looking for. Definitely a few things to think on. We were looking at making the biral cylinders here and had an idea for a twist on them that could improve cooling. I get that voids would be an issue. My idea was to utilize a process that we could replicate, and if the results were consistent, we would only have to to QC on a few in each batch.

Mark

New to the game here; so who are all of these players? I was just looking for them a while ago, needing a new or rebuilt engine. I found Raby, too expensive for me. I found some builders that went out of business. I found some builders scattered around the country but not convenient for shipping and expensive. I found a race shop several hours west of me, very expensive. I found one local builder that does a lot of VW stuff, he is booked out 6 to 9 months. And that has been the end of my work.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Everyone claims there’s tons of people who can take these jobs on until you look for them and everyone is too busy, too expensive, or ready to retire. The cars aren’t going away but the people who help keep them on the road on the business side seem to be
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 1 2021, 09:57 PM
Post #6

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(barnfind9141972 @ Dec 1 2021, 10:39 PM) *

QUOTE(NARP74 @ Dec 1 2021, 03:04 PM) *

Thanks all,

Mark

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Everyone claims there’s tons of people who can take these jobs on until you look for them and everyone is too busy, too expensive, or ready to retire. The cars aren’t going away but the people who help keep them on the road on the business side seem to be

There are probably reasons why the people go away. It's easy to love these cars but hard to make money on them. Money isn't everything, unless you are running a business and then it's pretty important. I bet there was very little profit from the $5K engine program so the builders moved on. Engine building, like all the other restoration projects, takes a lot more time than people realize. Not just the actual building but the initial customer consultations, parts purchase, engine tear down and cleaning, all the steps needed to get to the build, tuning and then the final steps to get the engine to the customer. It's a lot.
Then if the builder makes one mistake or uses a defective part, it can cost them thousands in time and money to make it good.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Dec 2 2021, 07:06 AM
Post #7

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 1 2021, 10:57 PM) *

There are probably reasons why the people go away.

You forgot dealing with crazy customers. You know the kind.

They guy that has you rebuild an engine. Proceeds to miss a shift, over rev's it, and grenades it. Then sues the engine builder.

Yeah -- it happens. Sad state of affairs. But, explains why it is getting so hard to find a reliable engine builder.

My hat goes off the Mark and any of the others out there still making a go of it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 2 2021, 09:23 AM
Post #8

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Dec 2 2021, 08:06 AM) *

They guy that has you rebuild an engine. Proceeds to miss a shift, over rev's it, and grenades it. Then sues the engine builder.

Yeah -- it happens. Sad state of affairs. But, explains why it is getting so hard to find a reliable engine builder.

My hat goes off the Mark and any of the others out there still making a go of it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

In the 911 world, it’s very common that owners with new engines over rev them, bend valves and then want the engine warrantied. Huge headache for everyone involved.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Dec 2 2021, 09:45 AM
Post #9

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 2 2021, 10:23 AM) *

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Dec 2 2021, 08:06 AM) *

In the 911 world, it’s very common that owners with new engines over rev them, bend valves and then want the engine warrantied. Huge headache for everyone involved.

Years ago I had a kit 356 customer who wanted a kick ass engine, I built him a 2.7 nickies engine at least 180hp. I had it perfect sorted, quite the blast in a 1600-1700lbs car.

First he wasn't happy with the power, he implied he was expecting LS3 level power, even though I clearly told him a T4 will never have the power of a modern engine. I had also offered different engines like a subi, etc before the build.

Then even though he was told not to rev beyond 6500rpm he reved it so high he drove one valve guide into the port, fuched the head. He argued up and down that he did nothing wrong and then that a balanced engine should be able to go to 8K. In the end I wouldn't cover it, but I did repair it and as expected he was not a happy customer.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Mikey914   Question to the braintrust for motor building   Nov 30 2021, 11:27 AM
VaccaRabite   What are your goals for the motor? Long drives, o...   Nov 30 2021, 02:22 PM
914_teener   Looking to make a larger motor (4) planning on a ...   Nov 30 2021, 04:07 PM
mepstein   Looking to make a larger motor (4) planning on a...   Nov 30 2021, 04:17 PM
930cabman   Looking to make a larger motor (4) planning on a...   Dec 1 2021, 01:38 PM
914werke   Nickies?   Nov 30 2021, 04:37 PM
Superhawk996   My 1st engine build. Seems like you're pro...   Nov 30 2021, 04:55 PM
Shivers   80 mm crank, wow lots of torque. In my bug days th...   Nov 30 2021, 05:34 PM
NARP74   I just went though this drill. Met a guy with all...   Nov 30 2021, 05:55 PM
Mikey914   Well my buddy Allen who is a factory trained mecha...   Nov 30 2021, 08:04 PM
BeatNavy   But if it works as planned will be a blueprint fo...   Dec 1 2021, 07:15 AM
Shivers   But if it works as planned will be a blueprint f...   Dec 1 2021, 07:40 AM
NARP74   Sounds like you are on the right track. Making it...   Dec 1 2021, 12:06 AM
Superhawk996   Other big bore considerations beyond thermal effec...   Dec 1 2021, 07:31 AM
Superhawk996   delete - duplicated post   Dec 1 2021, 07:43 AM
Mark Henry   Toss the stock rod idea, they're heavy and a w...   Dec 1 2021, 09:03 AM
Jack Standz   Sounds like a very cool project. Best wishes wit...   Dec 1 2021, 01:14 PM
NARP74   Did anyone consider getting this project going aga...   Dec 1 2021, 01:23 PM
Mikey914   Thanks all, This was the kind of feedback O was lo...   Dec 1 2021, 02:19 PM
914_teener   Thanks all, This was the kind of feedback O was l...   Dec 1 2021, 02:35 PM
Mark Henry   Thanks all, This was the kind of feedback O was l...   Dec 1 2021, 02:43 PM
NARP74   Thanks all, This was the kind of feedback O was ...   Dec 1 2021, 05:04 PM
barnfind9141972   [quote name='Mark Henry' post='2963984' date='Dec...   Dec 1 2021, 09:39 PM
914_teener   [quote name='Mark Henry' post='2963984' date='De...   Dec 1 2021, 09:48 PM
Superhawk996   What I believe is that things aren't like th...   Dec 2 2021, 07:02 AM
Mark Henry   What I believe is that things aren't like t...   Dec 2 2021, 08:42 AM
mepstein   [quote name='Mark Henry' post='2963984' date='De...   Dec 1 2021, 09:57 PM
Superhawk996   There are probably reasons why the people go awa...   Dec 2 2021, 07:06 AM
mepstein   There are probably reasons why the people go aw...   Dec 2 2021, 09:23 AM
Mark Henry   [quote name='Superhawk996' post='2964134' date='D...   Dec 2 2021, 09:45 AM
914werke   It's easy to love these cars but hard to mak...   Dec 1 2021, 10:47 PM
wonkipop   actually thats true about the last 5 years. its h...   Dec 2 2021, 01:36 AM
Mikey914   Well, I know for sure this is a long term project....   Dec 2 2021, 03:05 AM
NARP74   Well, I know for sure this is a long term project...   Dec 2 2021, 12:06 PM
Shivers   Just a thought from a guy that has to do his own w...   Dec 2 2021, 08:24 AM
rhodyguy   Budget in brand NEW heads. The case work. Rotating...   Dec 2 2021, 08:54 AM
930cabman   Not every customer is a good customer. I always ...   Dec 2 2021, 10:40 AM
NARP74   Watched a TV show about Porsche bore score. They ...   Dec 3 2021, 06:04 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th May 2024 - 05:07 AM