Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Johnny Rutherford, Rick Mears and more history, from speaking with former owners of my '75!
Rick986
post Dec 1 2021, 04:09 PM
Post #1

0-60 in 14 seconds!

Group: Members
Member No.: 25,869
Region Association: Upper MidWest

* edited with the Rick Mears info!

Since my car is currently tucked away for the winter, I did some Googlin' and tracked down the then-fiancé of the 2nd owner of my '75 today. His name was on the purchase receipt I got with the car as the sales manager at the dealership. He sold it to her when it was only two years old in 1977. He now owns a high-end Porsche/exotic dealership.

Got the history on original owner in '75 - young man that died prematurely so family traded it back to the dealer. The manager found it too nice to sell and convinced the GF to buy it. They enjoyed the car through the late 70's/early 80's. It was the 1st car he ever drove in an event at Lime Rock (he does a lot of racing now). She was also an accomplished driver of primarily Fiat X1/9's. The Porsche was only driven on sunny weekends (hence, no rust) and an occasional rally. They enjoyed the hell out of it.

She went on to marry somebody else and the 914 went with her. Unfortunately, she passed away very young too. I had a conversation with him a few weeks ago. He put the car away for about 10 years and finally consigned it this year...which is where I got it. I'm owner #3 with just 51,000 original miles and a great historical record!

Here's a few pix of her at a IMSA event at Watkins Glen with Johnny Rutherford and Rick Mears and the car at a show in the early 80's. Thought you might enjoy...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Dec 1 2021, 04:26 PM
Post #2

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

So cool you could track down that sort of history!

Like the pictures.
+Quote Post
914SIXXation
post Dec 1 2021, 05:58 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 22,979
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Rick986 @ Dec 1 2021, 05:09 PM) *

Since my car is currently tucked away for the winter, I did some Googlin' and tracked down the then-fiancé of the 2nd owner of my '75 today. His name was on the purchase receipt I got with the car and he was sales manager at the dealership. He sold it to her when it was only two years old in 1977. He now owns a high-end Porsche/exotic dealership.

Got the history on original owner in '75 - young man that died prematurely so family traded it back to the dealer. The manager found it too nice to sell and convinced the GF to buy it. They enjoyed the car through the late 70's/early 80's. It was the 1st car he ever drove in an event at Lime Rock (he does a lot of racing now). She was also an accomplished driver of primarily Fiat X1/9's. The Porsche was only driven on sunny weekends (hence, no rust) and an occasional rally. They enjoyed the hell out of it.

She went on to marry somebody else and the 914 went with her. Unfortunately, she passed away very young too. Her husband put the car away for about 10 years and finally consigned it this year...which is where I got it. I'm owner #3 with just 51,000 original miles and a great historical record!

Here's a few pix of her at a IMSA event at Watkins Glen with Johnny Rutherford (they were on his team) and the car at a show in the early 80's. Thought you might enjoy...

Hey, Thanks for sharing the GREAT pictures and story.
Just wondering if you are aware that the other handsome man in the photo is 3 time Indy Car World Series Champion, Rick Mears. Both drivers are so talented and so humble.

Yes, FANTASTIC photo! Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
Margie
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif)
+Quote Post
djway
post Dec 2 2021, 12:13 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 19,266

Looks like Rick Myers on the right.
I remember Rutherford driving a Sandwinder at his first off road race. He didn't seem to realize that dirt was not flat like Indy and broke the car good about a mile or two off the start. I just shook my head LOL.
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Dec 2 2021, 01:06 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

great car

nice #2 chick owner. like her helmet. bet she could drive.
she was into X/19s.

sad story about #1 owner.

the car has been loved.

phoenix red too?

top story

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
carr914
post Dec 2 2021, 05:41 AM
Post #6

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(djway @ Dec 2 2021, 01:13 AM) *

Looks like Rick Myers on the right.

Rick Mears, 4 time Indy 500 Winner
+Quote Post
ctc911ctc
post Dec 3 2021, 05:23 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 22,206
Region Association: North East States

Signal Orange?
+Quote Post
djway
post Dec 3 2021, 08:06 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 19,266

At the Riverside off road race the night before Rick won Class 1 he explained to me his method for running a race. It was very cool for him to answer a young kids questions. I took everything he said to heart.
He applied the same methods when he got to Indy Car.
Micky Thompson was always very nice to me too.
The good old days (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Girls and Cars.......
+Quote Post
Rick986
post Dec 4 2021, 09:54 AM
Post #9

0-60 in 14 seconds!

Member No.: 25,869
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ Dec 3 2021, 06:23 PM) *

Signal Orange?

Nepal
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 09:06 PM