Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914/6 Carb to Original FI
mmascari
post Dec 1 2021, 05:55 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,850
Region Association: None

I have a 914/6 conversion with a 3.0l SC engine. I have installed PMO 46mm carbs and considering switching to fuel injection. I would prefer to use stock fuel injection. Has anyone had success installing 3.2l engine Fuel injection components on a 3.0 engine?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Steve
post Dec 1 2021, 06:27 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(mmascari @ Dec 1 2021, 03:55 PM) *

I have a 914/6 conversion with a 3.0l SC engine. I have installed PMO 46mm carbs and considering switching to fuel injection. I would prefer to use stock fuel injection. Has anyone had success installing 3.2l engine Fuel injection components on a 3.0 engine?

I have only seen stock CIS injection on a 3.0 914-6 conversion.
I would also post in the Pelican 911 technical forum.
https://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/
I have seen some threads over there on the topic of using 3.2 DME injection in place of CIS injection
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 1 2021, 06:43 PM
Post #3

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Quite a few done on pelican.

Search - motronic injection
+Quote Post
targa72e
post Dec 2 2021, 02:19 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 20,392

I did a SC 3.0 with 3.2 manifold and aftermarket programmable FI many years ago (20+). Pretty easy to do. The whole system is still installed and working on my friends car.

john
+Quote Post
pete-stevers
post Dec 2 2021, 02:31 PM
Post #5

saved from fire!

Member No.: 2,914
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

If your PMOs are 40s send me a pm .. I might be interested
sorry... I just read 46s
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Dec 2 2021, 03:28 PM
Post #6

914 Guru

Member No.: 50

Sounds like a good option, but be aware the prices on 3.2 intake manifolds are pretty high. I was thinking about something similar on my 2.7 build, but the price was too high for my budget.
+Quote Post
mmascari
post Dec 2 2021, 05:14 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Dec 2 2021, 01:28 PM) *

Sounds like a good option, but be aware the prices on 3.2 intake manifolds are pretty high. I was thinking about something similar on my 2.7 build, but the price was too high for my budget.

Let me ask this. Will the stock 3.0 fuel injection components work on a motor that has JE pistons(10:1) and aggressive webcam cams or will it require a custom fuel/air map, therefore an aftermarket FI setup
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 2 2021, 05:52 PM
Post #8

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

QUOTE(mmascari @ Dec 2 2021, 06:14 PM) *

Let me ask this. Will the stock 3.0 fuel injection components work on a motor that has JE pistons(10:1) and aggressive webcam cams or will it require a custom fuel/air map, therefore an aftermarket FI setup

Custom chip for the stock ecu.
+Quote Post
mmascari
post Dec 2 2021, 06:48 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 2 2021, 03:52 PM) *

QUOTE(mmascari @ Dec 2 2021, 06:14 PM) *

Custom chip for the stock ecu.

Great thanks. How do you map the programming for the Air/fuel on the chip? Are there people out there that can do that?
+Quote Post
gandalf_025
post Dec 2 2021, 06:53 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 10,509
Region Association: North East States

It is my understanding that the CIS can take more compression
but it is not great with much more cam..
I think 964 type cams will work and add a modest amount of power
but I think the timing is critical..
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Dec 2 2021, 11:41 PM
Post #11

914 Guru

Member No.: 50

QUOTE(mmascari @ Dec 2 2021, 03:14 PM) *

You mean stock 3.2 intake right?

It should, check with Steve Wong at 911chips he can do a custom chip for the 3.2 intake and ecu. I think they used to have a bigger TB too.
+Quote Post
brant
post Dec 3 2021, 06:51 AM
Post #12

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(mmascari @ Dec 2 2021, 04:14 PM) *

The cis will not be able to accept your cams
Too aggressive
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Dec 3 2021, 07:32 AM
Post #13

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

Use the stock CIS intake and throttle body. Put EFI on it.

Here is a link to the kit to do it.

https://www.bitzracing.com/products/Partial_EFI_KIT/

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.bitzracing.com-1143-1638538326.1.jpg)

This is designed to replace the CIS on a 911 with EFI. It should be easy to find the CIS intake hard parts.

Hope this helps.

Clay

+Quote Post
mmascari
post Dec 3 2021, 10:08 AM
Post #14

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Dec 3 2021, 05:32 AM) *

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.bitzracing.com-1143-1638538326.1.jpg)

This is designed to replace the CIS on a 911 with EFI. It should be easy to find the CIS intake hard parts.

Hope this helps.

Clay

Would that setup work with a 3.2 manifold? Seems like it would work with any manifold?

If so, would I use the stock 3.2 throttle body?
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Dec 3 2021, 11:00 AM
Post #15

QUOTE(mmascari @ Dec 3 2021, 10:08 AM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Dec 3 2021, 05:32 AM) *

Hope this helps.

Clay

Would that setup work with a 3.2 manifold? Seems like it would work with any manifold?

If so, would I use the stock 3.2 throttle body?

Yes, it would work with the 3.2 manifold. But they are harder to find, and CIS heads may need an adapter to work with the 3.2 manifold. I am not 100% sure on that though.

Plus... the CIS manifolds, plenum, and throttle body are readily available and cheaper than the 3.2 motronic manifolds.

Clay
+Quote Post
Luke M
post Dec 3 2021, 11:02 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 3,574

I was planning on running a 3.2 EFI on my brothers 3.0 but went with the Weber 40ida instead. One reason was it looks period correct. Yeah carbs can be a pain to tune and keep in tune. Here's the deal with the Carrera intake install. You will need manifold to head adapters. Turbo craft sells them for around $275 for the set. If you can get your hands on a good used intake more then likely you will need to replace some of the injection lines. Look up the prices they are nuts. The injectors you'll need depends on the engine combo. New efi pump and lines to and from tank. Don't forget the sensors you need to install to make it all work. Depending on your trans a mod to the bell housing for the sensors. Engine management is another thing. You can run the stock motronic and have a custom chip made or get another system. Either way it's not cheap and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few other misc things that need to be done. So you get my drift why we went with the Webers yet? Look at spending well over 3 grand on the low end to make it all work. The kit that Clay posted maybe your best bet if you want to get away from the carbs. Depending on your head ports you'll need either small or large port manifolds for the cis. My brother's 3.0 seams to be similar to your combo but he's running 40ida Webers. I drove the car and seamed to perform well. I was doing 2nd gear burn outs without a problem. Now his dizzy isn't re-curved yet either so I'm sure there's a few horses left there.

Why are you running 46's? I feel the 40's work well on my brothers 3.0 .
You happen to know your head port size?
+Quote Post
mmascari
post Dec 3 2021, 11:22 AM
Post #17

QUOTE(Luke M @ Dec 3 2021, 09:02 AM) *

I was planning on running a 3.2 EFI on my brothers 3.0 but went with the Weber 40ida instead. One reason was it looks period correct. Yeah carbs can be a pain to tune and keep in tune. Here's the deal with the Carrera intake install. You will need manifold to head adapters. Turbo craft sells them for around $275 for the set. If you can get your hands on a good used intake more then likely you will need to replace some of the injection lines. Look up the prices they are nuts. The injectors you'll need depends on the engine combo. New efi pump and lines to and from tank. Don't forget the sensors you need to install to make it all work. Depending on your trans a mod to the bell housing for the sensors. Engine management is another thing. You can run the stock motronic and have a custom chip made or get another system. Either way it's not cheap and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few other misc things that need to be done. So you get my drift why we went with the Webers yet? Look at spending well over 3 grand on the low end to make it all work. The kit that Clay posted maybe your best bet if you want to get away from the carbs. Depending on your head ports you'll need either small or large port manifolds for the cis. My brother's 3.0 seams to be similar to your combo but he's running 40ida Webers. I drove the car and seamed to perform well. I was doing 2nd gear burn outs without a problem. Now his dizzy isn't re-curved yet either so I'm sure there's a few horses left there.

Maybe it would be easier to just trade my 46s for 40s, would be easier replacement.

Anyone want to trade?
+Quote Post
Luke M
post Dec 3 2021, 11:37 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 3,574

QUOTE(mmascari @ Dec 3 2021, 10:22 AM) *

QUOTE(Luke M @ Dec 3 2021, 09:02 AM) *

Maybe it would be easier to just trade my 46s for 40s, would be easier replacement.

Anyone want to trade?

Before you start trading. Why are you wanting to get away from the 46's?
What's your engine combo with head port size? 40's maybe your best bet but answer these questions 1st.
+Quote Post
gandalf_025
post Dec 3 2021, 11:47 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 10,509

This engine has been in my wife’s 911 for a number of years..
It was initially built to increase HP and still be able to pass California Emissions.
It was built by Ralph Meaneys engine builder in Massachusetts back in the day and
lived in California for a number of years. It is back in Massachusetts now and still runs well.. For what it is worth…???

Attached Image
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Dec 3 2021, 01:02 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Dec 3 2021, 11:47 AM) *

This engine has been in my wife’s 911 for a number of years..
It was initially built to increase HP and still be able to pass California Emissions.
It was built by Ralph Meaneys engine builder in Massachusetts back in the day and
lived in California for a number of years. It is back in Massachusetts now and still runs well.. For what it is worth…???

Attached Image

Love the twin plug!

How easy is it to get a cap and rotor set for it?

Clay
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:34 AM