Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914/6 Carb to Original FI
mepstein
post Dec 3 2021, 01:12 PM
Post #21

914-6 GT in waiting

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I don’t know why everyone says the 3.2 manifolds are expensive or hard to get. I’ve sold plenty for $500 and a wtb on pelican will get you a pair.
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Dec 3 2021, 02:21 PM
Post #22

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 3 2021, 01:12 PM) *

I don’t know why everyone says the 3.2 manifolds are expensive or hard to get. I’ve sold plenty for $500 and a wtb on pelican will get you a pair.

That may be true.. but using the CIS intake means not having to purchase the intake adapters to make the 3.2 intake work with CIS heads. That saves $275.00.

QUOTE(Luke M @ Dec 3 2021, 11:02 AM) *

Here's the deal with the Carrera intake install. You will need manifold to head adapters. Turbo craft sells them for around $275 for the set.

Clay
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Luke M
post Dec 3 2021, 02:26 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 3,574
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 3 2021, 12:12 PM) *

The problem is getting everything else to go with the manifold. Most fuel lines are shot by now. New replacement fuel lines will cost you around $650. I don't care either way if one wants to use a 3.2 intake. Just making them aware of the hidden cost that follows.
I went down that road and it turned out to be too expensive. I ended up selling my manifold in 2017 for $900..

As for the op lmk your engine setup. I can look up the jetting I used in my brothers carbs if that helps you.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Dec 3 2021, 02:35 PM
Post #24

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

I will admit.. I am biased. I hate carburetors. Not just a little bit, but a LOT.

The funny part is that the factory six we have has Webers on it. So I have to maintain them. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

I prefer an EFI system over carbs any day. Easier cold start, easier to drive, and much easier to maintain.

Go up and down a mountain without having to stop halfway up and halfway down to change jets. No fuel smell in the garage from bowl vents. No having to pump the accelerator to get enough fuel to make the car start.

There is a reason no new cars are built with carburetors. Same reason we don't use external band drum brakes or wooden wheels anymore. Obsolete tech.

Clay
+Quote Post
mmascari
post Dec 3 2021, 02:43 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 17,850
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Luke M @ Dec 3 2021, 12:26 PM) *

The problem is getting everything else to go with the manifold. Most fuel lines are shot by now. New replacement fuel lines will cost you around $650. I don't care either way if one wants to use a 3.2 intake. Just making them aware of the hidden cost that follows.
I went down that road and it turned out to be too expensive. I ended up selling my manifold in 2017 for $900..

As for the op lmk your engine setup. I can look up the jetting I used in my brothers carbs if that helps you.

It is a 3.0l with JE Pistons (10:1), webcam 502/104 grind. The heads have the larger intake size(can't remember the exact size). Then the 46 PMOs.

Again, when driving under 3k RPM it tends to sputter but once 3K hits it is fine
+Quote Post
targa72e
post Dec 3 2021, 05:18 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 20,392
Region Association: None

I am with Clay I hate carbs as well. Your problem sound like a tuning issue. If you decide to go with fuel injection couple things.
The adapters that have been mentioned are for running a 3.2 manifold on a Turbo motor with stock small 32mm inkakes . The intake on the 3.0 big port and 3.2 head are almost the same. 3.0 39mm 3.2 41mm and adaptors are not required.

3.2 head

Attached Image

big port 3.0

Attached Image

The indent for the fuel injector is a slightly different shape between 3.0 and 3.2. I gasket matched the 3.0 head to the 3.2 gasket with a dremel and bolted the intake directly to the head.
The main difference between 3.0 and 3.2 is the intake port height is different between a 3.0 and 3.2 head (beside port size) is the 3.2 is shorter and there is a thick (about 1/4" thick) gasket that goes between the manifold and head in stock application.

Attached Image

To use the complete 3.2 fuel injection system on a 3.0 is difficult. It would require complete rebuild of the motor, head machining for Temp sensor and 3.2 flywheel. The distributor on the 3.2 rotates the opposite direction of the 3.0 and would require changing the gear on the crank to use 3.2 distributor on 3.0. The 3.2 distributor does not have any trigger or advance mechanisms as the advance is controlled by the ECU and the trigger is from a sensor that reads the teeth on the 3.2 flywheel to provide speed and possition information to the ECU. Temperature sensor screws into 3.2 cylinder head.
It is much easier to use a aftermarket ECU. You can feed engine RPM information to the aftermarket system from the trigger wheel in the SC distributor (or use tach signal).
In my conversion I used the factory 3.2 manifold, throttle body (modified to include Throttle position sensor), fuel rails, injectors and lines.
ECU was aftermarket. Had to add the TPS, Map sensor, intake air sensor, O2 sensor and Engine temp sensor, these were all GM parts on my conversion. I used the SC idle air bybass for fast cold idle.

If you still have the SC intake the blitz system is a pretty complete kit for conversion to EFI.

john

+Quote Post
Luke M
post Dec 3 2021, 06:12 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 3,574
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(mmascari @ Dec 3 2021, 01:43 PM) *

QUOTE(Luke M @ Dec 3 2021, 12:26 PM) *

It is a 3.0l with JE Pistons (10:1), webcam 502/104 grind. The heads have the larger intake size(can't remember the exact size). Then the 46 PMOs.

Again, when driving under 3k RPM it tends to sputter but once 3K hits it is fine

My brother has the same p/c's, webcam 120/104 , heads are 3.0 euro/big port (39 mm intake/35 mm exh) , and Weber 40 ida. Carbs are setup as follows :

36mm venturi
short aux venturi
155 mains
F3 emulsion tubes
170 main air correction jets
60 idle fuel jets
50 accelerator squirter jets

It's been a while but pretty sure this was what Paul at Performance Oriented recommended. You maybe able to re jet your 46's but not 100% if that'll work.
I believe Paul has retired from the carb business but try over on Pelican site as he may answer. His user name there is 1QuickS .
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 3 2021, 06:32 PM
Post #28

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I have a 3.0 case and crank but I’m going to use 3.2 p&c’s and 3.2 heads to make a 3.2 short stroke. Not sure on induction yet. Maybe a 3.2 intake with VEMS engine management.

3.2 tip - you can get your fuel lines rebuilt for about $250.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
jim dorociak
post Dec 6 2021, 10:03 AM
Post #29

Member No.: 9,966
Region Association: Southern California

short stoke 3.2 means 98mm pistons and bored out 95mm cylinders and the 70.4mm crankshaft. been thinking about this same build. Jim
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:04 PM