Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Factory/Aftermarket Undercoating On Longs -, did they typically do the outside of them too?
Rick986
post Dec 2 2021, 03:11 PM
Post #1

0-60 in 14 seconds!

Group: Members
Member No.: 25,869
Region Association: Upper MidWest

My longs are rock solid and have obviously been treated at one time. Seems odd that the outside would have been an aftermarket application as the covers would have needed to be taken off.

So...did they come from the factory this way or could the PO have had it done? I'm also curious as to why the front half seems so much darker/cleaner than the back.

Thoughts? Thanks.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
fixer34
post Dec 2 2021, 04:13 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 17,908

I believe they were body paint color from factory, this looks like dealer/aftermarket undercoating.

I'm guessing the back section gets more road 'crap' thrown up into it from the front wheels (and a little from the rears..). If you watch the spray pattern on tires, it isn't very much of an angle, so the front part of the rockers doesn't get as much.
+Quote Post
Van B
post Dec 2 2021, 04:19 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 26,011
Region Association: None

Do you have a zeibart decal on the back glass or any plugs along the edge of the door?
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 2 2021, 04:25 PM
Post #4

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Longs were always body color unless sprayed aftermarket.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
StarBear
post Dec 2 2021, 05:04 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 10,753
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(fixer34 @ Dec 2 2021, 05:13 PM) *

I believe they were body paint color from factory, this looks like dealer/aftermarket undercoating.

I'm guessing the back section gets more road 'crap' thrown up into it from the front wheels (and a little from the rears..). If you watch the spray pattern on tires, it isn't very much of an angle, so the front part of the rockers doesn't get as much.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Removed rocker to do some winter maintenance; long looks just like mine. Front good shape; rear not so much. Black but will repaint original green.
+Quote Post
sb914
post Dec 3 2021, 07:32 AM
Post #6

Surf Guru

Member No.: 15,191
Region Association: Southern California

Attached Image here’s a shot from my previous 73
Definitely body color paint.Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Dec 3 2021, 10:29 AM
Post #7

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

Definitely not factory, which is good from the standpoint of removal. The material is a rubber base, you can remove with solvent and scotch bright pads. Will be messy. The factory undercoating was more rare and is a PVC based product that actually dissolved the surface of the paint and bonded to it. Great stuff, but no longer available due to the nature of the product.
+Quote Post
Rick986
post Dec 3 2021, 10:46 AM
Post #8

0-60 in 14 seconds!

Thanks guys. Thankfully someone along the way had the foresight to treat these along with the rest of the car. Don't see any point in removing now.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Dec 3 2021, 11:05 AM
Post #9

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Rick986 @ Dec 3 2021, 11:46 AM) *

Thanks guys. Thankfully someone along the way had the foresight to treat these along with the rest of the car. Don't see any point in removing now.

I found rust under this coating in several areas. I actually would strongly suggest removing it because as it deteriorates and dries out, it allows for moisture to be trapped behind it. I found that with some of it being very dry it comes off very easily but some ight require more work like previously stated.

My car was originally ordered and delivered to the Dublin Ohio Porsche-Audi dealer and the Ziebart treatment was applied at the dealer. It spent its first 8 years or so between 2 owners, in the Ohio and Indiana region and it saw a lot of winter weather driving i believe from seeing the records. It eventually made its way to the Ca desert and that probably slowed the rusting some. anyway, the coating was all over the inside of the front and rear trunks, longs sprayed into the doors and under the rear trunk and firewall, and also in all of the wheel wells. It was all over the udnerside of my original motor and fan housing too . they made quite a mess of it. I have since stripped off and cleaned out all the wheel wells, insides of the front and rear trunk and this year stripped off all that coating off the rear firewall and underside of the trunk. AND i found several areas of surface rust UNDER the coating in places that looked 'OK" to the naked eye. Those were cleaned stripped , then used rust converter in touch up application to those spots and then primed etc.

Nice looking car BTW!!!
+Quote Post
Rick986
post Dec 3 2021, 11:19 AM
Post #10

0-60 in 14 seconds!

Thanks Dr. Phil. I don't have the time to strip this off anytime soon. But I'm not worried about rust. Having the full backstory and seeing overall condition, this car was not driven in much, if any, harsh weather. And the undercoating was done "cleanly" - only the areas that need it.

I'm kinda thinking that by '75, the original owner knew about the problem areas on these cars and addressed them properly. Hopefully that's the story. Thanks for the compliment!

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Dec 3 2021, 12:05 PM) *

QUOTE(Rick986 @ Dec 3 2021, 11:46 AM) *

I found rust under this coating in several areas. I actually would strongly suggest removing it because as it deteriorates and dries out, it allows for moisture to be trapped behind it. I found that with some of it being very dry it comes off very easily but some ight require more work like previously stated.

My car was originally ordered and delivered to the Dublin Ohio Porsche-Audi dealer and the Ziebart treatment was applied at the dealer. It spent its first 8 years or so between 2 owners, in the Ohio and Indiana region and it saw a lot of winter weather driving i believe from seeing the records. It eventually made its way to the Ca desert and that probably slowed the rusting some. anyway, the coating was all over the inside of the front and rear trunks, longs sprayed into the doors and under the rear trunk and firewall, and also in all of the wheel wells. It was all over the udnerside of my original motor and fan housing too . they made quite a mess of it. I have since stripped off and cleaned out all the wheel wells, insides of the front and rear trunk and this year stripped off all that coating off the rear firewall and underside of the trunk. AND i found several areas of surface rust UNDER the coating in places that looked 'OK" to the naked eye. Those were cleaned stripped , then used rust converter in touch up application to those spots and then primed etc.

Nice looking car BTW!!!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:19 AM