Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Should I or Shouldn't I, 914 conversion
thetaxca
post Dec 4 2021, 01:36 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 26,132
Region Association: None

Hello forum! new member here!

I recently purchased a 1973 914 2.0 all original (except for modified dual exhaust and requisite back bumper) with zero rust that has 128K miles. Paint code L30 Light ivory (but is pretty white).
It has original paint which is desperate need of being redone.

I have always wanted a 914 and this car as more than met my fantasy, however at 60 years old, it is becoming more and more difficult to get in and out of so I am thinking of selling.

I have 3 options that I am seeking advice on wanting to maximize my investment:

1) sell as is. I paid $15K
2) repaint (engine & glass out) and sell ($8K quote)
3) I have been offered a 3.0l rebuilt flat six with a 915 transmission (all working perfectly) for $12K that my Indy mechanic says he make work in the 914 for about $8K.

Looking for some advice from the experts out there.

ThanksAttached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
windforfun
post Dec 4 2021, 01:47 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 8,476

No rust? Really? Don't want to drive it anymore? Leave it stock (as is) & sell it for a small fortune.
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Dec 4 2021, 01:50 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

Sell, if it is all about comfort. All the update stuff is a money pit for you.
+Quote Post
targa72e
post Dec 4 2021, 01:57 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 20,392

If the car is all original i would sell as is. Original cars are original only once. I personally would prefer to buy an original car and if it needed paint have it done myself so I know exactly what I have.
If car is truly rust free and original paint probably sell for quite a bit more than 15K. I would look at results on Bring a trailer.

2) repaint (engine & glass out) and sell ($8K quote)
Price seams low. See comments above. I doubt you will recoup the money spent.

3) I have been offered a 3.0l rebuilt flat six with a 915 transmission (all working perfectly) for $12K that my Indy mechanic says he make work in the 914 for about $8K.
Great price for 3.0 and 915. No way to convert for 8K IMHO. You will have more than that just converting the 915 transmission to work in 914.
3.0 will require front cooler. With the required tank, mounts, engine sheet metal, oil lines, cooler, exhaust, fuel lines pump etc probably looking at $5-7K just in parts.

john
+Quote Post
Montreal914
post Dec 4 2021, 01:59 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 12,023
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

Yes, 914s are low cars which can make it challenging getting in and out of.

From this basic picture, this seems like a nice car, and 15K$ is appealing if it is a solid original 2.0 car. Right from the start though, there are signs that its originality has been altered: Aftermarket wheels, lack of black vinyl on the sail panels and lower sail trim removed and filled holes (i,e, repaint of that area). Also the sail panel rear edge trim shouldn't be black.

But all of this aside, back to your question, I think the prices you are being quoted for the work and the engine/trans combo are low. There is a lot of parts needed ($) to make a six conversion right.

Where are you in Canada? If you are in Ontario, I would contact Mark Henry (member here) and have a chat with him. If you are in the Montreal area, I would be interested in seeing the car as I will travel there for Christmas.

Last, I hate to deliverer the sad news, but there is no such thing as a rust free 914 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif).

Edit: just saw you wanted advice from experts here. I am far from being one, just an enthusiast. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
rjames
post Dec 4 2021, 02:30 PM
Post #6

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

What do you want from a car? Investment or something you'll really enjoy driving?

If the former, either sell it for a profit it now, or bet that prices will continue to rise and sell it later without modding it.
If the latter, do whatever you want to make it more enjoyable for you. Sounds like it's not a good fit for you though, so putting more money into it makes no sense.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Dec 4 2021, 02:39 PM
Post #7

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(thetaxca @ Dec 4 2021, 11:36 AM) *

- zero rust that has 128K miles

- seeking advice on wanting to maximize my investment

- There is no such thing as a rust free 914. All that means is that you haven't found it yet, but i can assure you, it is there.

- Since you are looking at a 60 year old car as an investment, my best advice is to clean it up nicely and flip it immediately and try to squeeze as much money out of it as you can.

As soon as you start "improving" the car, even with reselling in mind, you're throwing $$$ down a black bottomless pit.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 4 2021, 03:49 PM
Post #8

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Your Indy mechanic doesn’t know what he’s talking about if he quoted you $8k to convert a six engine and 915 trans. He’s way, way off.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Dec 5 2021, 08:19 AM
Post #9

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

Clean it up and sell it as is -please. The 3.0/915 for $12K is a killer deal. I agree with others, no way $8K is installing that 3.0/915 and getting it driving properly. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Shivers
post Dec 5 2021, 08:39 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 24,781

If you are talking about yourself being 60, my wife is older than you. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/howard.gif) So if that is all it takes, then sell it like it is. Looks nice in the pic, someone would love to have it. Good luck with the sale.
+Quote Post
SO.O.C914er
post Dec 5 2021, 09:45 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 20,199

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) don’t invest good money on a car you can’t enjoy driving for years. Thankful at 63 I can still get into my 48 year old 914. If this car is in great shape your profit margin will be the same selling it as is…..drive on teeners (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
willieg
post Dec 5 2021, 11:16 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 22,389

Putting in a 3.0 will not make your 914 any easier to get into.
+Quote Post
Jett
post Dec 5 2021, 11:24 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 17,686

SELL CAR IMMEDIATELY, and if you are in BC we may be interested.

I cannot add value to the sound advice provided, but can give you some additional price quotes.

1. Sell Price is probably $20k USD, but need more pictures to find the other modifications.

2. Window out paint job, new rubber, and reassemble… $20K USD best case, and expect that if it is not an enthusiast doing the work, then you will have damage.

3. 3.0 / tranny 6 conversion, installed with suspension, oil cooler, tin, mounts, wiring, etc., and done (without cost of motor and trans) $30k USD best case!
+Quote Post
DC_neun_vierzehn
post Dec 6 2021, 04:04 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 24,893
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Dec 4 2021, 02:59 PM) *

From this basic picture, this seems like a nice car, and 15K$ is appealing if it is a solid original 2.0 car. Right from the start though, there are signs that its originality has been altered: Aftermarket wheels, lack of black vinyl on the sail panels and lower sail trim removed and filled holes (i,e, repaint of that area). Also the sail panel rear edge trim shouldn't be black.

Not necessarily true, my friend. I also have a ‘73 2.0 that does not have vinyl on sails (never did) and has black trim instead of chrome (black bumpers instead of chrome, too). Dr. 914 (George) confirmed this to be original and rare (part of a “Sport” package in ‘73): it also has sway bars and the appearance package (center console, Fuchs, etc.). Mine is Ravenna green.
+Quote Post
Porschef
post Dec 6 2021, 12:11 PM
Post #15

How you doin'

Member No.: 12,152
Region Association: North East States

Today’s my birthday; as long as I can still get into the car legs first I’ll keep driving it…

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Dec 6 2021, 12:27 PM
Post #16

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344

QUOTE(DC_neun_vierzehn @ Dec 6 2021, 03:04 AM) *

Not necessarily true, my friend. I also have a ‘73 2.0 that does not have vinyl on sails (never did) and has black trim instead of chrome (black bumpers instead of chrome, too). Dr. 914 (George) confirmed this to be original and rare (part of a “Sport” package in ‘73): it also has sway bars and the appearance package (center console, Fuchs, etc.). Mine is Ravenna green.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I believe @bbrock has this same package.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Dec 6 2021, 12:46 PM
Post #17

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

If you're selling the above cosmetics and put real fuchs on it, they don't even have to be perfect. If it's a real '73 2.0 leave it alone.

I find turning 180 and sitting on the door sill, then swing in the rest is the best way in for us old farts... but I still do the batman entry with the top off.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Dec 6 2021, 02:21 PM
Post #18

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Dec 4 2021, 11:50 AM) *

Sell, if it is all about comfort. All the update stuff is a money pit for you.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

You answered your own question in your first post.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Dec 8 2021, 08:34 AM
Post #19

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Dec 6 2021, 11:27 AM) *

QUOTE(DC_neun_vierzehn @ Dec 6 2021, 03:04 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I believe @bbrock has this same package.

Correct. Looks like the OP's car has the "sport package" which came with Fuchs, sway bars, center console, black bumpers and targa trim, but no fog lights or sail vinyl. The wheels on this car are obviously not stock, but the rest fits.
+Quote Post
jhynesrockmtn
post Dec 8 2021, 08:58 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 20,100

Tongue in cheek, sorta - get on an exercise regimen and keep the car! I daily drive a 2004 C4S and enjoy my 914's a great deal. They are one of a few reasons I try to keep up with my yoga and other fitness activities. It still is uncomfortable getting in and out of all of them :-)

If you do sell, gather whatever records and history you have, clean it well, take lots of pics and sell as is.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:58 PM