Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sheetmetal Replacement Quality
DaveB
post Dec 4 2021, 02:48 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 26,107
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I am sorting out a '75 914 and will replace a lot of the sheetmetal. Are there differences in the replacement panels and sheetmetal quality from various manufacturers? I've worked on other makes where we have fit/QA issues with body metal from certain manufacturers. Is there a way to distinguish the sheetmetal manufacturers from suppliers other than price point? If there is a thread on this, just point me over to it - thanks!

DaveB
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 4 2021, 03:46 PM
Post #2

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

There’s nos Porsche and then everything else.
+Quote Post
dlee6204
post Dec 4 2021, 04:10 PM
Post #3

Howdy

Member No.: 5,956

I've used quite a bit of replacement metal and yes, there is a difference between manufacturers.

Anything Restoration Design develops is usually good stuff. There's always going to be some tweaking needed however theirs is the best IMO.

Most of the stuff AA produced/developed requires quite a bit more work. I avoid these items if possible.
+Quote Post
roblav1
post Dec 4 2021, 04:26 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 14,943
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

OEM is definitely best. RD is pretty good, but I swear their panels are thicker steel than original... but I've never measured.
+Quote Post
914werke
post Dec 4 2021, 04:39 PM
Post #5

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 4 2021, 01:46 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Dec 4 2021, 02:10 PM) *
Anything Restoration Design develops is usually good stuff. There's always going to be some tweaking needed however theirs is the best IMO. Most of the stuff AA produced/developed requires quite a bit more work. I avoid these items if possible.

Not that easy ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) some stuff you buy from RD is AA's & vice versa.
+Quote Post
dlee6204
post Dec 4 2021, 04:50 PM
Post #6

Howdy

Member No.: 5,956

QUOTE(914werke @ Dec 4 2021, 05:39 PM) *

Anything Restoration Design develops is usually good stuff. There's always going to be some tweaking needed however theirs is the best IMO. Most of the stuff AA produced/developed requires quite a bit more work. I avoid these items if possible.

Not that easy ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) some stuff you buy from RD is AA's & vice versa.

You are correct. I chose my words carefully. Developed vs. Sells
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Dec 4 2021, 05:35 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,276
Region Association: None

Even NOS Porsche metal has to be tweeked sometimes so give people like RD a break. Be prepared to do a little slicing and dicing for any replacement panel. Just have snips and a zip wheel handy.
But yes, sometimes replacement metal doesn't fit well, but it's hard to tell who made it because most of the sheet metal people sell the other guys stuff.
+Quote Post
DaveB
post Dec 4 2021, 08:32 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 26,107

Thanks for the feedback and good info.

In general it sounds like most of the 914 replacement sheetmetal fits with some just requiring more work. I'm not hearing it doesn't fit, which I've experienced with some manufacturers on older US cars.

DaveB

+Quote Post
Montreal914
post Dec 4 2021, 10:27 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 12,023
Region Association: Southern California

I bought this repair piece from AA for the top rear portion of the front fender where it meets the cowling.

I ended up using a portion of a donor parts car.

I was very disappointed in the large radius bend where the rubber trim will squeeze in. With the AA Radius, there would have been a very large gap. Waste of money in my opinion.

Here you can see the part removed from my car and the repair piece. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) I am not a bodywork person by trade and this might be acceptable for some, but it is not in my mechanical engineer standard. The value in this repair piece is that specific bend and they screwed it up. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Dec 4 2021, 10:54 PM
Post #10

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Dec 4 2021, 08:27 PM) *

Here you can see the part removed from my car and the repair piece. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) I am not a bodywork person by trade and this might be acceptable for some, but it is not in my mechanical engineer standard. The value in this repair piece is that specific bend and they screwed it up.

Oh wow, that isn't even close ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Dec 5 2021, 07:38 AM
Post #11

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Dec 4 2021, 05:50 PM) *

The RD bare steel (galvalume) parts are made in house, parts that are in primer are from other suppliers.

QUOTE(roblav1 @ Dec 4 2021, 05:26 PM) *

OEM is definitely best. RD is pretty good, but I swear their panels are thicker steel than original... but I've never measured.

IIRC 22 gauge, about the same as OE.

From what I have bought and have seen RD is the hands down best aftermarket panels. Their shop is top notch and they put profits back into making us more products. They've made huge investment putting a new large addition on and ever year they have more machines, dies and inventory. We're lucky to have RD.
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Dec 5 2021, 09:11 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 5 2021, 05:38 AM) *

QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Dec 4 2021, 05:50 PM) *

The RD bare steel (galvalume) parts are made in house, parts that are in primer are from other suppliers.

QUOTE(roblav1 @ Dec 4 2021, 05:26 PM) *

IIRC 22 gauge, about the same as OE.

From what I have bought and have seen RD is the hands down best aftermarket panels. Their shop is top notch and they put profits back into making us more products. They've made huge investment putting a new large addition on and ever year they have more machines, dies and inventory. We're lucky to have RD.

Not to mention they made a whole Speedster from scratch!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Dec 5 2021, 09:45 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

Restoration Design located in Ontario is superior, including their customer service. Joe Blow can call and speak with one of the owners and get positive results. I would bet OEM is probably the best, but availability and $$ leave something to be desired.
+Quote Post
9146C
post Dec 5 2021, 09:47 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 23,460

I added this photo to my build thread about 1-1/2 years ago. Two different manufacturers of door jams.

The one on the right (the grey one) is the Restoration Design replacement.

Probably worth posting again in this thread.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
davep
post Dec 5 2021, 10:06 AM
Post #15

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244

Restoration Design has the advantage of a lot of NOS parts to scan and use for die design. Some parts will not be exact for your car due to the many design iterations over the years. RD can afford to have only one die for a part most times, so they have to choose which iteration of the original to duplicate.
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Dec 5 2021, 10:56 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE(930cabman @ Dec 5 2021, 07:45 AM) *

Restoration Design located in Ontario is superior, including their customer service. Joe Blow can call and speak with one of the owners and get positive results. I would bet OEM is probably the best, but availability and $$ leave something to be desired.

They go to great pains to make their stuff as close as possible, I know because I have a standing agreement to sell them any NOS metal I find. This was one such haul that went directly to Canada, didn't pass GO.
Green metal isn't cheap, so the fact that they pay heavy to get it right should say a lot about their commitment to quality.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Dec 5 2021, 12:50 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

These days, anyone with an even marginal "customer service policy" gets my hard earned $$ and RD hits a home run. I recently used a couple of their new door jambs, worked/fit/looked perfect.
+Quote Post
peteyd
post Dec 17 2021, 02:56 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 8,858

Hey Guys,

I just noticed this thread and just wanted to say thanks to everyone that purchases our product and then lets others know about their experience. That by far is the best advertising I can get.

We do strive to make great fitting product, and I welcome feedback whenever you guys have any.

We do sell other vendors products and vice versa. That is the only time that I am not able to control the quality of the parts.

All our panels are made from galvaneel.

Floorpans are usually made from 18 gauge, which is only .005"-.01" thicker than the original 19 gauge that the Germans used. Most of the newly developed products are stamped out of 19 gauge metal, so the thickness is nearly spot on.

I have many NOS parts scanned and tools designed for the 914. I just need to complete the speedster project we are working on. That is what is taking all our efforts and time currently.

Pete

+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Dec 17 2021, 03:49 PM
Post #19

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105

Bought a couple of repair panels from RD and both fit and looked great. Very appreciative to have metal panels for a 914.

20 years from now, we'll be able to assemble a complete 914 from new panels much like a 356 today.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Dec 19 2021, 06:29 AM
Post #20

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26

QUOTE(9146C @ Dec 5 2021, 10:47 AM) *

I added this photo to my build thread about 1-1/2 years ago. Two different manufacturers of door jams.

The one on the right (the grey one) is the Restoration Design replacement.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-23460-1638719168_thumb.jpg)

I had both these parts in my hands, absolute no comparison the RD part easily was the vastly better part.
The blue panel was so thin you could piss through it and the stamping was just wrong beyond belief.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th May 2024 - 11:07 PM