Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> PMB restoration, Resto so far…guys doing a great job..
Cairo94507
post Jan 23 2022, 10:23 AM
Post #41

Michael

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

There is just something about a 914 chassis all bare like that..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jan 23 2022, 04:25 PM
Post #42

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 22 2022, 02:25 PM) *

We’ll start seam sealing next week. She was working double duty yesterday as we templated the frame jig with her pristine body.

That's awesome..
+Quote Post
frankieshooz
post Jan 2 2024, 10:37 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 17,945

Been I while since I posted. Here is some updates of the work done over this last year. Enjoy!
Finishing up metal work.
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
frankieshooz
post Jan 2 2024, 10:43 PM
Post #44

Keep sanding..
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
frankieshooz
post Jan 2 2024, 10:49 PM
Post #45

Primer!
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
frankieshooz
post Jan 2 2024, 10:52 PM
Post #46

Fresh paint!
+Quote Post
frankieshooz
post Jan 2 2024, 10:59 PM
Post #47

..this is the point I had a hiccup..after understanding I was getting a lot more power/performance with the motor rebuild I thought it would be prudent for me to add an oil cooler. Unfortunately, this realization came after I had it painted the car! So, here we go cutting up some nicely newly painted metal…oops
Attached Image Attached ImageAttached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
frankieshooz
post Jan 2 2024, 11:08 PM
Post #48

More oil cooler and beyond pics…I was kinda belligerent about not cutting up the front panel of the nose and using the factory holes as my air inlet. I also chose to go with a louvered vented floor panel (not what they usually do) and hard oil lines…maybe not the most efficient way to cool but I liked the look and cleanliness of this method. Thanks for putting up with me (PMB). First pic is of a car I really loved at Lüftgeküllt. If you look close you can see the stock nose holes in this car behind the bumper cutout. last pic is of our esteemed forum contributor (and my advisor) Michaels car, which inspired me to copy this look. Stock with a some teeth showing!
Attached Image Attached Image
Attached ImageAttached Image
+Quote Post
frankieshooz
post Jan 2 2024, 11:22 PM
Post #49

Next and current drama…seats….first HUGE SHOUT OUT TO WARD AT VINTAGE SEATS! He has been a true gentleman and first class service and timeliness! If you are looking for aftermarket seats this is the place to go! These are a little more $$$ than some of the other seat builders but they are top notch, perfect fit, and look the business! These are exact replicas of the LeMans winning GT seats. First pic is of Wards standard design…I wanted to do a tartan, specifically, copy Magnus’ 911 seat (second picture). Seats came out great (third picture) but I did not communicate clearly about laying the pattern specifically a certain way, and although subtle, it didn’t come out the way I wanted. NOT WARD’S FAULT! Anyway, seats are back at his shop while I contemplate next move. I am considering doing woven inserts from Achtung Kraft. Pricey. Super unique. Definitely a nod to Singer…also want to add whatever I end up with on the seats to face of the dash but not the door panels…
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
frankieshooz
post Jan 2 2024, 11:26 PM
Post #50

Not to press an already stressful topic but I played around with the fabric…using a seat from my 94 FD3S R2 Mazda..I laid the fabric the two different ways. Can you guys see the difference? Am I batshit crazy? Thoughts on the material or any other suggestions?
Chime in! The last pic is of a woven leather interior. Not the colors (obviously) I would go with for my car but as an idea kind of cool.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
frankieshooz
post Jan 2 2024, 11:33 PM
Post #51

..so hope you enjoyed pics..didn’t publish everything but you get the gist..Huge thanks to the guys over at PMB! THANKS ERIC AND CO…
Just ordered the Rennspeed shifter with protostick option. The pedalboard and passenger floorboard with pedal covers along with auxiliary 3 gauge pod (as I plan to eliminate the console and install 3 auxiliary gauges in the dash where the radio would go) from THOROTEC all in anodized black. I am not running back pad or carpet in a the car so everything needs to look finished (I had interior painted to same standard as exterior) Please let me know what you think or questions you have..
+Quote Post
frankieshooz
post Jan 2 2024, 11:50 PM
Post #52

BTW shout out to and big thanks Michael (Cairo 94507) you have been my guiding light and go to guru throughout this build! Thanks for answering all my texts and endless questions! Can’t wait to go for a cruise with you and your amazing 6 although it will be hard for me to keep up with you after you install that new beast of a motor!
+Quote Post
SteveL
post Jan 3 2024, 07:34 AM
Post #53

Member No.: 991
Region Association: None

This is the first time I have read through this thread - one question:
Did you have the car dipped to start with? If so, how did PMB keep it from rusting while doing the metal work?
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jan 3 2024, 07:49 AM
Post #54

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

@frankieshooz - Thank you for the kind words; my pleasure to discuss 914's always. Your car is looking great. Before you know it you will be behind the wheel enjoying all that work. Can't wait to see it in person. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
frankieshooz
post Jan 3 2024, 10:19 AM
Post #55

Steve L, no the car was not dipped. I do believe the car was media blasted. Not sure what media PMB uses but I this is definitely not the first time at the rodeo for them so there is a level of trust that that I have in knowing what they are doing. As far as preventing flash rusting goes I don’t know the answer to that.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jan 3 2024, 10:35 AM
Post #56

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Flash rust shouldn't be a problem in UT. In TX, SC or FL, etc, yes. Touching with bare hands is guaranteed to make bare metal rust no matter the climate. Great work as usual Eric. "You're in Good Hands with..........." , No, that's Allstate. You're in Great Hands with PMB! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Jan 3 2024, 11:46 AM
Post #57

914 Guru

Member No.: 50
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(frankieshooz @ Jan 2 2024, 08:59 PM) *

..this is the point I had a hiccup..after understanding I was getting a lot more power/performance with the motor rebuild I thought it would be prudent for me to add an oil cooler. Unfortunately, this realization came after I had it painted the car! So, here we go cutting up some nicely newly painted metal…oops
Attached Image Attached ImageAttached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image

Sounds like mine, engine scope creep made an after-bodywork-was-finished change needed for a front cooler.

PMB should stamp those metal shrouds. Remind me a lot of the one-off Scotty made long ago. LOTS of work if not a stamped part.
+Quote Post
burton73
post Jan 3 2024, 12:41 PM
Post #58

burton73

Member No.: 7,414

QUOTE(frankieshooz @ Jan 2 2024, 09:26 PM) *

Not to press an already stressful topic but I played around with the fabric…using a seat from my 94 FD3S R2 Mazda..I laid the fabric the two different ways. Can you guys see the difference? Am I batshit crazy? Thoughts on the material or any other suggestions?
Chime in! The last pic is of a woven leather interior. Not the colors (obviously) I would go with for my car but as an idea kind of cool.
Attached Image

Seat on right looks better IMHO but what the hell do you like. This is on your dime. In the end you will have spent a large amount of money at PMB. Do what you want to do.

I spend a lot of time looking at my PMB 6 build in my cave and that gives me great pleasure.

Bob B owner of PMB build of number 41
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jan 3 2024, 06:43 PM
Post #59

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Vintage Seats are awesome. I installed a set in a 72 Targa.
+Quote Post
burton73
post Jan 3 2024, 08:54 PM
Post #60

burton73

Member No.: 7,414

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 10 2022, 02:12 PM) *

I think the price of the Scheels is a bit high. I'm now coming to the "overrated" conclusion. Every Scheel we've been into has been broken or in need of frame repair. They are made rather "cheap" in my book. There's a small welded frame inside and it will not withstand years of using the bolster to get in and out of a 914.

Not a big deal if you're going in there and reupholstering the seat. We weld in the repair and we weld in extra frame support to make them work but... all that said, you can easily be upside down in a Scheel. They're gorgeous, don't get me wrong... I just think there's better values out there.

Picture of the Scheel seat strip naked by Dale when did the modification to widen it slightly, it looks really bad inside, nasty welding but this boy is 50 years old.

Best Bob B
Attached Image Attached ImageAttached Image
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 04:02 AM