Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2056 cc long block recommendations, Various Options for a 2056cc build/ kit or long block
Str1974
post Jan 6 2022, 01:19 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,820
Region Association: Southwest Region

I know this topic probably has been beaten to death already, but I'd like to learn as much as any is willing to share about rebuilding an early 1.7 case to a 2056cc configuration. I have never rebuilt an engine before (have disassembled mine so far) , so I would either get a reputable 2056 engine build kit and have a mechanic familiar with air cooled engines to put it all together in the DFW area. OR purchase a 2056cc long block from a reputable vendor. I know Jake Raby's work is top notch, but I cannot see a 2056cc engine build available from his website. I'm trying to find other kits out there that others here would recommend. I've looked at the GEX engine website, but have also read negative reviews regarding their products, mainly that low cost equals to less than stellar reliability in the long run. I'd really like a good product, one others recommend and where you get what you pay for.

I'm not looking to race or over the top horsepower. Just a little more than stock 2.0 L and still use my L-Jet fuel injection as a daily reliable driver that will be a member to the family for many years to come.

Recommendations and advice greatly appreciated.

Mark
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Jan 7 2022, 09:01 AM
Post #2

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Str1974 @ Jan 6 2022, 02:19 AM) *

I know this topic probably has been beaten to death already, but I'd like to learn as much as any is willing to share about rebuilding an early 1.7 case to a 2056cc configuration. I have never rebuilt an engine before (have disassembled mine so far) , so I would either get a reputable 2056 engine build kit and have a mechanic familiar with air cooled engines to put it all together in the DFW area. OR purchase a 2056cc long block from a reputable vendor. I know Jake Raby's work is top notch, but I cannot see a 2056cc engine build available from his website. I'm trying to find other kits out there that others here would recommend. I've looked at the GEX engine website, but have also read negative reviews regarding their products, mainly that low cost equals to less than stellar reliability in the long run. I'd really like a good product, one others recommend and where you get what you pay for.

I'm not looking to race or over the top horsepower. Just a little more than stock 2.0 L and still use my L-Jet fuel injection as a daily reliable driver that will be a member to the family for many years to come.

Mark

@Str1974

Mark, you should have the ADMIN move this to the GARAGE section you will get many more responses but
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) -

There are engine builders here on this site, like @MARKHENRY , Ben at Middlemotors in Oregon, I did a 2.1 last summer and used James Lutz at German Motorwerks in Portland Oregon, brand new heads, pistons cylinders etc, he built the long block and i did the rest, but he is a wealth of knowledge regarding aircooled Porsche and VW motors, no subquality parts used.

Good Luck

Phil
+Quote Post
Str1974
post Jan 7 2022, 03:30 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 22,820
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Jan 7 2022, 09:01 AM) *

Mark

@Str1974

Mark, you should have the ADMIN move this to the GARAGE section you will get many more responses but

There are engine builders here on this site, like @MARKHENRY , Ben at Middlemotors in Oregon, I did a 2.1 last summer and used James Lutz at German Motorwerks in Portland Oregon, brand new heads, pistons cylinders etc, he built the long block and i did the rest, but he is a wealth of knowledge regarding aircooled Porsche and VW motors, no subquality parts used.

Good Luck

Phil

Thank you Phil, I appreciate the recommendations. I did try the GARAGE section , but did not get any feedback. I'll start with your help, thanks again,

Mark

+Quote Post
barnfind9141972
post Jan 7 2022, 03:59 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 24,976
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Str1974 @ Jan 7 2022, 01:30 PM) *

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Jan 7 2022, 09:01 AM) *

Mark

@Str1974

Good Luck

Phil

Thank you Phil, I appreciate the recommendations. I did try the GARAGE section , but did not get any feedback. I'll start with your help, thanks again,

Mark

@STR1974 give Jorge at European Motor Works a call. He’s in Hawthorne, California but has great knowledge, has been around a long time and will get you everything you need to have the components assembled or he can assemble it for you. I just got mine done by him and cannot recommend him enough.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 12:26 PM