Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Want to buy Original 1.7 air cleaner, Looking for correct complete air cleaner for 1.7 motor
jkb081
post Jan 9 2022, 07:23 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 26,018
Region Association: Northern California

Looking for complete air cleaner with mounting bolt/wing nut for 73 1.7
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
Mikey914
post Jan 9 2022, 07:35 PM
Post #2

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

It should be plastic lnot the metal one.
+Quote Post
jkb081
post Jan 9 2022, 08:56 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 9 2022, 08:35 PM) *

OK, thanks. I thought the 1.7 was metal, the 1.8 was plastic, and the 2-L was the big square metal one. Im not sure if I have an early or late 73. The numbers that are supposed to be in the front trunk, and in the rear trunk are missing. Both trunks have been sprayed with "bed liner" I cannot find/see the engine number either. I have looked at the area where it is supposed to be, but cannot see anything.
+Quote Post
JamesM
post Jan 10 2022, 08:22 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 5,834
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(jkb081 @ Jan 9 2022, 07:56 PM) *

OK, thanks. I thought the 1.7 was metal, the 1.8 was plastic, and the 2-L was the big square metal one. Im not sure if I have an early or late 73. The numbers that are supposed to be in the front trunk, and in the rear trunk are missing. Both trunks have been sprayed with "bed liner" I cannot find/see the engine number either. I have looked at the area where it is supposed to be, but cannot see anything.

The earlier 1.7s (70-72) use a metal oil bath filter. 1973 1.7s they changed to a round plastic filter. 1.8s use a square plastic filter housing.

The issue with the 73 round plastic housing is finding the proper filter elements for it. You can use the earlier metal filter as they are interchangeable however it would not be "correct" for the year.
+Quote Post
Jamie
post Jan 10 2022, 11:30 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 2,939
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(JamesM @ Jan 10 2022, 06:22 AM) *

The earlier 1.7s (70-72) use a metal oil bath filter. 1973 1.7s they changed to a round plastic filter. 1.8s use a square plastic filter housing.

The issue with the 73 round plastic housing is finding the proper filter elements for it. You can use the earlier metal filter as they are interchangeable however it would not be "correct" for the year.

And the round air filters for the 73 1.7L are not easy to find, but I did eventually find them available from NAPA, part #2909. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
jrmdir
post Jan 10 2022, 12:16 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 25,544
Region Association: Upper MidWest

jkb081: Do you have the build date from the EPA sticker on the rear door jamb? If not, how about the production number above the paint code on the Karmann plate in the front door jamb?

My '73 1.7 was built in September of '72 and has the round plastic cleaner, if that helps.

Also, Jamie: Thanks for the NAPA part number info! Just what I've been looking for.

BTW, NAPA website shows no options for ordering or picking one up, so it may be NLA. However, they cross reference to WIX 42909 and I found them on eBay for less than $7.

Thanks again.

Ron
+Quote Post
Sprout
post Jan 10 2022, 01:28 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 22,544

My '73 1.7 was built in Dec '72, and has the round, plastic air cleaner. I was able to buy the filter at Advance Auto, and it was in stock, didn't have to order. It was just their brand (Carquest).
+Quote Post
jkb081
post Jan 10 2022, 01:47 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(jrmdir @ Jan 10 2022, 01:16 PM) *

jkb081: Do you have the build date from the EPA sticker on the rear door jamb? If not, how about the production number above the paint code on the Karmann plate in the front door jamb?

My '73 1.7 was built in September of '72 and has the round plastic cleaner, if that helps.

Also, Jamie: Thanks for the NAPA part number info! Just what I've been looking for.

BTW, NAPA website shows no options for ordering or picking one up, so it may be NLA. However, they cross reference to WIX 42909 and I found them on eBay for less than $7.

Thanks again.

Ron

Hello. the only number on the car is stamped in the Karman plate. 2639599. There appears to be another number at the bottom of the same plate, however it is scratched so bad, I cannot read it. I can only make out maybe a 5 in the middle, and what looks like a K at the end. The VIN is 4732927001. The numbers in both trunks are covered up with undercoating.
+Quote Post
jkb081
post Jan 10 2022, 01:51 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(JamesM @ Jan 10 2022, 09:22 AM) *

I see. Thank you. My issue is the intake horn is pressing down on the flapper rod that connects both flappers, thus preventing it from proper function. So I assumed I have the incorrect air cleaner.
+Quote Post
jrmdir
post Jan 10 2022, 02:19 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 25,544

QUOTE[I see. Thank you. My issue is the intake horn is pressing down on the flapper rod that connects both flappers, thus preventing it from proper function. So I assumed I have the incorrect air cleaner.]QUOTE

The horn should point to the side of the car. See below. You should be able to rotate the bottom of the cleaner (with the horn) when the clips are undone. The top half's orientation is fixed by the rubber connector to the throttle body.

As to the covered up numbers in the trunks, they would (should) be the same as the top number on the Karmann plate: 2639599. This means your car was built on the 3rd day of the 26th week (of 1973.) Or Wednesday, June 27th. This, and the high VIN# (27001) would put it fairly late in the '73 model run, which I believe would have ended in August or September.

The scratched out bottom number is the original paint code.

Ron

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Highland
post Jan 10 2022, 04:59 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 13,418
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(jkb081 @ Jan 9 2022, 05:23 PM) *

Is this what you're looking for?

Attached Image
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Jan 10 2022, 07:21 PM
Post #12

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

QUOTE(jkb081 @ Jan 9 2022, 07:23 PM) *

@jkb081

It you find a plastic air cleaner i have several NOS Mann air filters.
+Quote Post
jkb081
post Jan 10 2022, 08:38 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(jrmdir @ Jan 10 2022, 03:19 PM) *

QUOTE[I see. Thank you. My issue is the intake horn is pressing down on the flapper rod that connects both flappers, thus preventing it from proper function. So I assumed I have the incorrect air cleaner.]QUOTE

The horn should point to the side of the car. See below. You should be able to rotate the bottom of the cleaner (with the horn) when the clips are undone. The top half's orientation is fixed by the rubber connector to the throttle body.

As to the covered up numbers in the trunks, they would (should) be the same as the top number on the Karmann plate: 2639599. This means your car was built on the 3rd day of the 26th week (of 1973.) Or Wednesday, June 27th. This, and the high VIN# (27001) would put it fairly late in the '73 model run, which I believe would have ended in August or September.

The scratched out bottom number is the original paint code.

Ron

Attached Image

Wow! Thanks a lot! That is the kind of information I have been looking for. I purchased George Hussy's book, but it is useless. I had some VW books that have all this kind of infomation, however because of a recent move, I cannot find them. The horn was pointing forward to the fire wall. I had rotated to the right to line up with the indents on the mounting bracket. I could not seat it because the horn ended up right on top of the distributer. I will take it apart again tomorrow. Thanks for the great information.
+Quote Post
jkb081
post Jan 10 2022, 08:47 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(Highland @ Jan 10 2022, 05:59 PM) *

Attached Image

Yes, I believe that is the one!I have had several offers to buy/sell. I would like to respond to all before making a purchase.
+Quote Post
jkb081
post Jan 10 2022, 08:48 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jan 10 2022, 08:21 PM) *

QUOTE(jkb081 @ Jan 9 2022, 07:23 PM) *

@jkb081

It you find a plastic air cleaner i have several NOS Mann air filters.

Thank you. I am sure I will be needing one.
+Quote Post
jkb081
post Jan 10 2022, 08:54 PM
Post #16

QUOTE(Highland @ Jan 10 2022, 05:59 PM) *

Attached Image

Yes. What are you looking to get for it? How do we exchange money/payment?
+Quote Post
Highland
post Jan 11 2022, 10:48 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 13,418
Region Association: Southern California

PM sent.
+Quote Post
JamesM
post Jan 11 2022, 10:58 AM
Post #18

QUOTE(jrmdir @ Jan 10 2022, 11:16 AM) *

Thanks again.

Ron

There was a thread on 1.7 filter elements a while back that has the details, but at that time while there were available replacements that would "fit" in the air filter housing none of the options i checked out actually sealed properly and hence wouldn't be actual filtering any air. The original filter has a raised ring in the center to create the air seal while all aftermarket options even if they are the same factory dimensions lack this detail and allow air over the top of the filter. Others had to large an ID and you could hear them flopping around in the housing if you shook it.

I have a collection of proper elements out in my garage, ill see if i can get a picture later to show you what i am talking about. Or you might be able to find the old thread with the details.

+Quote Post
JamesM
post Jan 11 2022, 11:02 AM
Post #19

For reference this is what the original elements looked like

Found one on ebay, didnt need to go to the garage (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284384653249

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jan 11 2022, 12:56 PM
Post #20

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

]This is why 914World is AWESOME!
[quote name='jkb081' post='2973566' date='Jan 10 2022, 06:38
Wow! Thanks a lot! That is the kind of information I have been looking for. I purchased George Hussy's book, but it is useless. I had some VW books that have all this kind of infomation, however because of a recent move, I cannot find them. The horn was pointing forward to the fire wall. I had rotated to the right to line up with the indents on the mounting bracket. I could not seat it because the horn ended up right on top of the distributer. I will take it apart again tomorrow. Thanks for the great information.
[/quote]
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:32 AM