Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New TIG welder thoughts, What do you suggest?
obscurity
post Jan 24 2022, 07:38 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,628
Region Association: South East States

How about Weldpro Tig200gd?
weldpro tig 200

Also how universal are pedals? Are they easily replaced?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jan 24 2022, 07:45 PM
Post #22

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(obscurity @ Jan 24 2022, 05:38 PM) *

How about Weldpro Tig200gd?
weldpro tig 200

Also how universal are pedals? Are they easily replaced?

Not universal and typically the light switch effect is based on the software uploaded to the machine
+Quote Post
Van B
post Jan 24 2022, 08:10 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 26,011
Region Association: None

I think the rheostat counts a lot toward a consistent impedance signal. But mostly a good wide pedal where you can get consistent foot action is where you’ll find the most reward.
Lots of folks these days are starting to use the triggers that attach to the torch. I never used them because they were only on-off switches in my day. Now, since I just weld for my own projects, I prefer a familiar method over novelty.
Honestly, a lot of these inverters are coming from the same factory in China. What Ben is talking about with software is where the cost really starts to factor in. But, I would say for a hobby TIG welder, you need reliable and good customer service after purchasing.

Van
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jan 24 2022, 08:35 PM
Post #24

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(Van B @ Jan 24 2022, 09:10 PM) *

Lots of folks these days are starting to use the triggers that attach to the torch. I never used them because they were only on-off switches in my day. Now, since I just weld for my own projects, I prefer a familiar method over novelty.

Van

Check out TIG button. I've been running one for years. True modulation amptrol on the torch.

https://www.6061.com/tigbutton.htm

I prefer it to the pedal. It is intuitive and very natural. Press harder more current and is pretty linear to how the amperage is set. So if set at 100A the TIG button is linear in that range. Set the machine to 200A, and it's still pretty linear. Set it at 40A on the machine still linear. It just works. Even when you're upside down and laying on your back!

No way I could pull off the out of position TIG welding I've been doing with a foot pedal.
+Quote Post
Van B
post Jan 24 2022, 08:39 PM
Post #25

Out of position is a good point. It’s been years since I’ve welded something that couldn’t move on my own.
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Jan 24 2022, 08:58 PM
Post #26

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I have been reasonably happy with the Eastwood 200 TIG, which can run on 120V. I (really my son) have only used it on 240V.
+Quote Post
tazz9924
post Jan 24 2022, 08:59 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 18,779

weldpro 220 has been awesome for the money, and ive put some mileage on it. Had a ck torch go bad and customer service sent me a replacement for free.
+Quote Post
obscurity
post Jan 26 2022, 02:56 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 5,628

QUOTE(tazz9924 @ Jan 24 2022, 09:59 PM) *

weldpro 220 has been awesome for the money, and ive put some mileage on it. Had a ck torch go bad and customer service sent me a replacement for free.

The Weldpro does seem to address some of the noted Primeweld shortcomings but there are not very many reviews of it. What made you chose that one?
+Quote Post
tazz9924
post Jan 26 2022, 05:01 PM
Post #29

QUOTE(obscurity @ Jan 26 2022, 12:56 PM) *

QUOTE(tazz9924 @ Jan 24 2022, 09:59 PM) *

The Weldpro does seem to address some of the noted Primeweld shortcomings but there are not very many reviews of it. What made you chose that one?

I don’t honestly remember what my reasoning was at the time, ive had it about 3 years now, still running good. It has a ton of features like the finger control it is awesome when you set it up right. Its an aircooled torch so after 20 minutes of straight welding .090 + steel it gets quite hot. But if your back and forth doing stuff it’ll never get hot. I was also once a beginner welder and this was my first machine and i still use it. Is it professional quality? probably not but i do great work with it:
Attached Image
+Quote Post
AZBanks
post Jan 26 2022, 06:36 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 5,245
Region Association: Southwest Region

I ordered one of these through their kickstarter campaign. It should be here in the next few weeks.

https://yeswelder.com/products/firstess-mp200

It does tig but not for aluminum or stainless. It does everything else including plasma cutting.

I have no idea if it works well since it's not here yet and I've never done any welding. I am hoping we both turn out to be good welders.
+Quote Post
Van B
post Jan 26 2022, 07:23 PM
Post #31

No difference between steel and stainless steel with regard to machine requirements.
+Quote Post
tazz9924
post Jan 26 2022, 07:34 PM
Post #32

QUOTE(Van B @ Jan 26 2022, 05:23 PM) *

No difference between steel and stainless steel with regard to machine requirements.

This is true.
+Quote Post
hex123
post Jan 27 2022, 03:05 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 7,644

I have the older version of the alpha tig the one with the analog controls and its plenty for a "home gamer" Dual voltage and It will do Aluminum up to 1/4" it gets good reviews and it is a good bang for the buck.
a review comparing the old and new models https://youtu.be/RRwegGHavgM
company website
https://ahpwelds.com/product/ahp-alphatig-2...d-february-2022
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Jan 27 2022, 03:36 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 21,449

No Ben - respectfully -they didn't produce those welds. YOU did! Just as guns don't kill people - people use guns to kill people - your great welder didn't produce those beautiful welds - you did.

And they are works of art, flawless.

As an amateur stick & MIG welder of 40 years, I could never produce those. And because of what you noted about TIG (friend can TIG weld like you - has his own welding business), I would never even attempt TIG - especially due to the cost.

But I hope you like what came to me when doing some welding long ago. I asked myself why I love welding so much, and why it's my fav hobby.

1. You don't gotta wait for the glue to dry.

2. When you screw up - which I frequently do - you just pull out the cutting torch and grinder and nobody knows......

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

GN

QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 24 2022, 02:54 PM) *

On last thing to consider as I have tried the big 3 my favorite smaller multi process machine is the ESAB 205ic rebel. Does all processes really well and takes up little space. Here are the welds it produced yesterday

+Quote Post
mb911
post Jan 27 2022, 04:56 PM
Post #35

914 Guru

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Jan 27 2022, 01:36 PM) *

No Ben - respectfully -they didn't produce those welds. YOU did! Just as guns don't kill people - people use guns to kill people - your great welder didn't produce those beautiful welds - you did.

And they are works of art, flawless.

As an amateur stick & MIG welder of 40 years, I could never produce those. And because of what you noted about TIG (friend can TIG weld like you - has his own welding business), I would never even attempt TIG - especially due to the cost.

But I hope you like what came to me when doing some welding long ago. I asked myself why I love welding so much, and why it's my fav hobby.

1. You don't gotta wait for the glue to dry.

2. When you screw up - which I frequently do - you just pull out the cutting torch and grinder and nobody knows......

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

GN

QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 24 2022, 02:54 PM) *

On last thing to consider as I have tried the big 3 my favorite smaller multi process machine is the ESAB 205ic rebel. Does all processes really well and takes up little space. Here are the welds it produced yesterday

So an interesting data point. I welded 3 tanks this week one on my 205IC one on a newer Miller MP212 and 1 on a Miller dynasty 210.

The best weld quality came on the ESAB 205ic the second best was the Miller MP212 and the worst was the dynasty.

Was surprised by the results.
+Quote Post
AZBanks
post Jan 27 2022, 05:27 PM
Post #36

QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 27 2022, 03:56 PM) *

So an interesting data point. I welded 3 tanks this week one on my 205IC one on a newer Miller MP212 and 1 on a Miller dynasty 210.

The best weld quality came on the ESAB 205ic the second best was the Miller MP212 and the worst was the dynasty.

For us noobs, can you give a quick rundown on the differences between the the welders?
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jan 27 2022, 06:17 PM
Post #37

914 Guru

QUOTE(AZBanks @ Jan 27 2022, 03:27 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 27 2022, 03:56 PM) *

For us noobs, can you give a quick rundown on the differences between the the welders?

So for 25 years now the dynasty was kind of the premier TIg welding. They started making these inverters in the late 90s and were bullet proof. In about the mid 2000s they sourced less then stellar boards for them and it was common to replace them with little to no time on them but when working they were amazing. Fast forward to now they are really the bar for quality and weld performance.

The MP212 is a Miller multi process machine so you can Stick weld, Mig weld and also TIg steels and aluminum but doesn't do any particularly awesome. They are somewhat new to the market and suffered from poor quality boards initially. That said multiprocess welders are all somewhat new to the market. We have seen big improvements in these type of machines over the last 7 or so years.

The ESAB 205IC is another multi process machine and has much higher level settings. It is also an intuitive machine for MIG and TIg so it adjusts to your welding styles for easier Arc starts and offers a cool pulse MIG feature. The AC TIg has incredible range. That is why I chose it.

I hope that clears up a bit of what I am talking about.
+Quote Post
AZBanks
post Mar 14 2022, 02:21 PM
Post #38

I got a delivery today. The lady who delivers my mail called it a hernia in a box.

I can't wait to try it out even though I have no idea what I am doing.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Van B
post Mar 14 2022, 04:27 PM
Post #39

Time to go get a bottle of argon!
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Mar 14 2022, 05:24 PM
Post #40

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(Van B @ Mar 14 2022, 06:27 PM) *

Time to go get a bottle of argon!

You think you had sticker shock buying a welder . . . wait until you get the price for argon. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Precise control of heat and complete lack of the shower of sparks makes it all worthwhile though!
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 05:44 AM