Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New TIG welder thoughts, What do you suggest?
iankarr
post Mar 14 2022, 11:05 PM
Post #41

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

If your electric panel is maxed out, you can swap some of the breakers with half-size units to create more space. I’ve had to do that several times. So don let a full panel keep you from adding 220 to your shop!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Mar 15 2022, 08:13 AM
Post #42

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439
Region Association: None

FWIW I took a vo-tec welding night class years ago specifically for learning to TIG weld. I spent the first four (3 hour) classes just TIG welding surface beads. I got good but not as good as I wanted to be.

My typical advice for guys getting a new MIG welder is to practice, practice, practice before you touch your car with it. Then practice more. With TIG you should triple or quadruple your practice time.

Pretty much anyone can learn to MIG in a reasonable amount of time. Not everyone will learn to make good TIG welds.
+Quote Post
AZBanks
post Mar 15 2022, 01:54 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 5,245
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(iankarr @ Mar 14 2022, 10:05 PM) *

If your electric panel is maxed out, you can swap some of the breakers with half-size units to create more space. I’ve had to do that several times. So don let a full panel keep you from adding 220 to your shop!

I close on a new house/property between now and April 8th. The plan is to build a 2400 sq/ft shop with 220, 2 post lift, 3 compartment stainless steel sink, big compressor, etc, etc.
This welder will do both 110 and 220 so I can do some small stuff while I am building the shop.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 05:30 AM