Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What is the level of damage you have received being rear-ended in your 914?
PaulFV8
post Feb 21 2022, 08:03 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,562
Region Association: None

Clay, what insurance company did you use? Are they paying actual repairs? I’m a year away but want to understand who is the best to work with

Thanks
Paul
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Feb 21 2022, 01:58 PM
Post #22

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(PaulFV8 @ Feb 21 2022, 08:03 AM) *

Clay, what insurance company did you use? Are they paying actual repairs? I’m a year away but want to understand who is the best to work with

Thanks
Paul

At the time of the wreck, all of our 914s were insured through State farm, on agreed value policies.
The guy that hit me was with Progressive. They consistently gave me the run around about the value of the car. State Farm stepped up and paid it off, then went after Progressive and the driver without me being involved. It was part of the agreed value policies.

Then they politely asked me if I would move off off the agreed value policies, as they were discontinuing that offering. They are soon to be partnering with Hagerty to offer agreed value policies through State Farm agents and a consolidated bill. The agreement had not been reached yet, so I went with a local independent insurance agent that offers Hagerty insurance.

The car was totaled, and we got the full amount from State Farm for it. And they didn't charge anything for the salvage value, as that was part of the agreed value contract.

I can't say that's going to help you any. We have not had a claim with Hagerty, and I hope we never do.

Clay

+Quote Post
siverson
post Feb 21 2022, 02:11 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 654
Region Association: Southern California

This was about $12k (yes really) of repairs in 2010. Was hit at about 5 mph and the other car (a new SUV) had zero damage. Chrome Bumper, muffler, both rear fenders, flares, etc, etc all got bumped a little to the point of messing up the door gaps. The reinforced trunk probably did not help things.

Then I did my big williow springs crash about a year later. My poor car has been through a lot...

-Steve
+Quote Post
siverson
post Feb 21 2022, 02:12 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 654
Region Association: Southern California

Hmmm... I'm out of file space?

> The total filespace required to upload all the attached files is greater than your per post or global limit. Please reduce the number of attachments or the size of the attachments.

-Steve
+Quote Post
Pursang
post Feb 21 2022, 03:32 PM
Post #25

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,386
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I bought my 914 in 1987. In 1993 and I was driving east into Portland on US-26. Three lane freeway leading into a tunnel just east of downtown. November. Rain (because Oregon). I was in the left hand lane. There was an accident in the tunnel and traffic was slowing. A pickup in front of me and a Lexus sedan behind me. We all had stopped in time.

Unfortunately, a retired dentist in a domestic four door came upon the backed up traffic too quickly on the wet pavement and smashed into the back of the Lexus. The impact was hard enough to cause the seatback in the Lexus to release and the driver tipped backwards. As a result, his car slammed forward and into the back of my 914. That pushed me forward into the truck. The truck had an extended trailer hitch and it hit my left hand headlight bucket. The right rear bodywork was crushed but there was fortunately no damage to the transmission or suspension.

The insurance companies (the dentist's and mine) agreed that my car was totalled. I argued that it had been a show winner in the local PCA region concours several years running. They argued that value was based on local sales examples. If I had been rich, I would have told them to get fucked and footed the whole bill myself.

I took the insurance money (and now have a "rebuilt" title) and had the repair done because I love the car so much. The work was done by Fix Auto Body in Portland ( fixautousa.com/portland-east/ ). They did a fantastic job. They even saved and re-welded in the original stamped number on the rear trunk floor. The car got a repaint in the original Light Ivory and I had the original owner's side stripes and frunk Porsche crest removed. Camille Eber is the manager (owner?) there and she was fantastic. Cannot remember the name of the tech that did the work but he was a 914 owner too as I recall.

The overall damage was ugly but, as stated, was bodywork only. The repair was so good that I won the Porsche class in the Forest Grove Concours d'Elegance in 1994. The bottom line is that I believe that the simple lines of the 914 bodywork are easily repaired regardless of bumper styles.

A side note: I still drive my car about a thousand miles a year. It is not a garage queen and sports about 190K miles and at least that many smiles.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Feb 22 2022, 05:59 AM
Post #26

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(siverson @ Feb 21 2022, 02:12 PM) *

Hmmm... I'm out of file space?

> The total filespace required to upload all the attached files is greater than your per post or global limit. Please reduce the number of attachments or the size of the attachments.

-Steve

Open the picture in paint and reduce the size by 50%. That will get you under the size limit.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th June 2024 - 09:34 AM