Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 914World Classifieds Rules

We've established the following rules to help make your sales/purchases as successful as possible!
- Please List WTB:, FS:, TRADE: etc (want to buy, for sale, and trade respectively) before your add title.
- You *must* put a price in your ad and state how you would like payment!
- If you'd like to bump your ads, feel free to do so every two days.
- DO NOT MAKE YOUR ADS IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS! It's considered rude.
- All eBay ads belong in the eBay category.
- Please consolidate your ads into one big lump... listings and pictures together in one thread. Please be considerate of other classified users!!
- Mark your items "SOLD" once you sell them. Please do not ask to have ads removed. Ads will automatically hide themselves after 30 days. We also ask that you leave your pricing in the ads to help others determine fair market value for future sales.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sourced: Probe style exhaust gas analyzer, Need it for AFM tuning
Van B
post Mar 8 2022, 09:48 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 26,011
Region Association: None

Does anyone have an exhaust gas analyzer they would be willing to rent me for a reasonable fee?
I need to do some AFM checks and tuning and don't think installing a wideband sensor is feasible given the age and rustiness of my original exhaust. I'm afraid that things will get out of hand if I start grinding and cutting on the muffler to install a sensor bung.

Bought and waiting to be used thanks to troth.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
troth
post Mar 8 2022, 01:00 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 20,305

I have a CO meter that I got for free. It’s a real POS piece of plastic junk. Doesn’t seem to like to hold calibration. I tried it on my car and it helped to get the tune close, but there was always doubt if I was spot on or not. If nobody steps up with a better deal you can have it for $10 to cover the cost of shipping.
+Quote Post
Van B
post Mar 8 2022, 01:10 PM
Post #3

Is it an old school style with the swing needle? I'm pretty sure those have to be calibrated before every use typically.
I was originally looking to buy a Heathkit CI-1080 but those have become expensive an rare novelty items it seems.

As long as it works and its reasonably accurate, I'll gladly accept. The manual says CO should be between 2 and 3% lol... that's a pretty wide range compared to modern vehicles.

Maybe someone else will respond with a different device and I'll have the luxury of doing a back to back comparison!

Van
+Quote Post
StarBear
post Mar 8 2022, 02:22 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 10,753
Region Association: North East States

@Van B. How could one calibrate it? Wouldn’t some standard (bottle?) gas be needed? If it works I’d be interested in borrowing it. We could exchange at the July NE Gathering.
+Quote Post
infraredcalvin
post Mar 8 2022, 03:50 PM
Post #5

Distracted Member

Member No.: 9,463
Region Association: Southern California

You may want to try one of these, it allows you to use a wideband afr sensor without installing a bung.

https://www.innovatemotorsports.com/xcart/e...p-p-n-3728.html
+Quote Post
BillC
post Mar 8 2022, 04:15 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 18,667
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

If you already have a wideband O2 sensor, you can "simulate" a probe-style sensor by taking a foot or so of 1" - 1.5" steel tubing, welding a bung onto it in the middle and then clamping the pipe to your exhaust outlet (stick as much inside the exhaust as you can).
+Quote Post
troth
post Mar 8 2022, 04:45 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 20,305

This is it here. Says accurate within 0.5% but I’m not sure I believe it. PM me your address. I can put it in the mail tomorrow.

Attached Image

It’s calibrated by putting it in clean, exhaust free air and setting it to 2%.
+Quote Post
Van B
post Mar 8 2022, 04:53 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(StarBear @ Mar 8 2022, 03:22 PM) *

@Van B. How could one calibrate it? Wouldn’t some standard (bottle?) gas be needed? If it works I’d be interested in borrowing it. We could exchange at the July NE Gathering.

After the elements warm up completely, you're supposed to balance the needle while both sides are exposed to air. Then the difference in cooling between the air side and exhaust side is shown as your CO level.
These devices went out of fashion because this method really needs time to get a reading and for the engine to hold a static setting.
+Quote Post
Van B
post Mar 8 2022, 04:55 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(troth @ Mar 8 2022, 05:45 PM) *

This is it here. Says accurate within 0.5% but I’m not sure I believe it. PM me your address. I can put it in the mail tomorrow.

Attached Image

It’s calibrated by putting it in clean, exhaust free air and setting it to 2%.

Ooo a Gunson! Heck yeah man! PM headed your way.
+Quote Post
Van B
post Mar 8 2022, 04:59 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(BillC @ Mar 8 2022, 05:15 PM) *

If you already have a wideband O2 sensor, you can "simulate" a probe-style sensor by taking a foot or so of 1" - 1.5" steel tubing, welding a bung onto it in the middle and then clamping the pipe to your exhaust outlet (stick as much inside the exhaust as you can).

@infraredcalvin @BillC
Thank you for the idea!
I don't have an O2 sensor and the OE tail pipe is pretty small diameter. Too small for the depth of a Bosch sensor. But it's definitely an idea worth exploring in the long term. I'd rather have a new exhaust with a bunch installed though. Hopefully, I can get this car running to my satisfaction soon and then have time to spend on enhancements.
+Quote Post
BK911
post Mar 8 2022, 05:00 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 1,674

I have used a gunson on dozens of cars with repeatable results.
+Quote Post
StarBear
post Mar 8 2022, 07:46 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(Van B @ Mar 8 2022, 05:53 PM) *

After the elements warm up completely, you're supposed to balance the needle while both sides are exposed to air. Then the difference in cooling between the air side and exhaust side is shown as your CO level.
These devices went out of fashion because this method really needs time to get a reading and for the engine to hold a static setting.

Neat. We gots the time.
+Quote Post
Van B
post Mar 8 2022, 08:09 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(StarBear @ Mar 8 2022, 08:46 PM) *

QUOTE(Van B @ Mar 8 2022, 05:53 PM) *

Neat. We gots the time.

This one operates nearly the same way as the Heathkit swing needle style but has a basic digital display and has air flowing over the reference element to help speed the analysis… still has to be calibrated every time it’s powered on, but I think it will be so cool to go through the same tuning process as folks did when these cars were new!
+Quote Post
targa72e
post Mar 8 2022, 11:10 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 20,392

My .02cents.
Get a good wide band 02 sensor and tune with that. Who cares what idle mixture is if wide open or part throttle is way lean or rich. Use wide band and drive around and tune for best compromise.

john
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Mar 9 2022, 01:13 AM
Post #15

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(StarBear @ Mar 8 2022, 01:22 PM) *

We used a propane enrichment calibration for ours. The propane has a relatively constant level of HC so we'd dial into that, then stick it up the tailpipe and find out what the variable was. Pretty sure most of the early swing needle models were about the same.
+Quote Post
StarBear
post Mar 9 2022, 08:49 AM
Post #16

My other option is to take it to my local garage with state emissions testing and a screwdriver for the CO adjustment screw. Not as much fun or learning, though. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 12:49 PM