Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> No expansion tank and no charcoal canister, Does this mean gas fumes entering the cabin?
MM1
post Mar 31 2022, 08:07 PM
Post #1

914 obsession continues

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,105
Region Association: Southern California

My latest carbureted project has no expansion tank or charcoal canister .

Does this necessarily mean that I will smell fumes entering the cabin while sitting at a stoplight or driving ?

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(20 - 22)
Biggles
post Apr 4 2022, 09:49 AM
Post #21

Member No.: 16,353
Region Association: England

QUOTE(Steve @ Apr 4 2022, 03:45 PM) *

QUOTE(Biggles @ Apr 4 2022, 07:03 AM) *

QUOTE(Steve @ Apr 1 2022, 04:37 PM) *

I think it all depends on your setup. When I had carbs with one feed line, I didn’t notice it. After installing the 3.2 with injection and return line, it was really horrible. I installed a charcoal canister in front of the battery tray, stock expansion chamber on tank and no more vapors.

Thats interesting Steve.
I have the same 3.2 on injection and after a while it stinks but i dont have the expansion tank and charcoal filter as i thought it was more weight i didnt need !

The seals to my tank are new and pipes are all ok so where could it be coming from? Where do you suspect it was coming from in your car?

If you don’t have an expansion tank and charcoal canister, best practice is to run the tank vent under the car. The vapors still managed to get inside the car and in the garage which annoyed my wife and kids. No more vapors after installing the expansion tank and charcoal canister. With these devices installed it is a closed system.

Got it. Cheers.
+Quote Post
mlindner
post Apr 4 2022, 10:13 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 13,770
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I had a bad fuel smell last year when build was done. My fuel tank setup just has the vent hose (center under fuel cap) go down to outside of car. Little later I found a leaking hose clamp on the fuel pump, fix that and the smell is gone. Again this is with 40 PMO's with fuel line in only, no return. Best, MarkAttached Image
+Quote Post
aturboman
post Apr 4 2022, 02:27 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 13,687
Region Association: None

This is a stock 914-6 Euro set up without a charcoal canister

With a full tank and hot day in the garage you can smell some fumes but very minimal

The plastic tee on the overflow pipe is only on Euro cars or very early US cars.

Attached Image
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 10:10 PM