Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Porsche-Subaru Starting Problem, Should I bypass some stuff?
willieg
post Apr 3 2022, 10:39 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,389
Region Association: Northern California

I have a 1974 914 with a 2001 Subaru EZ30 engine and 5 speed Subaru transmission. I bought the car with the Subie engine and tranny already installed and drive it every chance I get. Last time I went for coffee, the car would not start when I got back to my car. I turned the key to the “on” position, got all the usual noises such as fuel pump and then turned the key to start the car. Nothing. I tried again and……Nothing. On about the 8th try, the car rumbled to life just like normal.

The car would not start once I got home and the first thing I replaced was the neutral safety switch on the Subie transmission. Again, the usual noises when the ignition is “on” but no start. I then replaced the ignition switch with a new switch. Again, the car functions worked with the key “on” such as fuel pump,lights, etc but still would not start when I turned the key to start the car.

I then turned the key to the “on” position, and touched a wire directly from the positive side of the battery to the starter solenoid and the car started.

My question for those who have done this conversion is:
If I run a wire directly from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid, with appropriate relay and fuse, am I bypassing anything important? I know I am bypassing the neutral safety switch but is there anything else?

Or can anyone who has done this conversion point me to other possible points of failure? The car has been off the road for two weeks and I am not getting any younger.
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd May 2024 - 04:40 PM