Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Extending the firewall for stock v8 accessories
914GT
post Aug 3 2005, 01:52 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,923
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE (BIGKAT_83 @ Aug 3 2005, 11:22 AM)

If you read the NHRA drag racing rule book it does not allow a non SFI approved balancer on any car that runs a 12.99 sec or faster ET. There must be a reason for that.

I sure wouldn't want to be near a balancer when it let go.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
MikeP
post Aug 3 2005, 01:56 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 4,268

My gradfather used to spin 10lb rotors to 30krpm, when they went it was like a bomb going off, they had to sheild the machines with 3" steel plate.
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Aug 3 2005, 03:05 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 194
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE (914GT @ Aug 3 2005, 03:52 PM)
QUOTE (BIGKAT_83 @ Aug 3 2005, 11:22 AM)

If you read the NHRA drag racing rule book it does not allow a non SFI approved balancer on any car that runs a 12.99 sec or faster ET. There must be a reason for that.

I sure wouldn't want to be near a balancer when it let go.

Thats why I changed mine out. I don't think the 914 firewall would stop much. With my butt 6" from it the $$$ dollars the ATI cost was good insurance.

Bob (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
86motoman
post Aug 3 2005, 03:53 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 2,064

QUOTE (BIGKAT_83 @ Aug 3 2005, 09:42 AM)
QUOTE (86motoman @ Aug 3 2005, 12:43 PM)
All of this information is great guys!  Thank you.

It seems like it is more of a hassle than it is worth because of the alternator.

I was entertaining this idea because I am going to put in the new generation chevy small block.  I will probably use the 5.3 truck engine.

Does anybody know if the above renegade serpentine system would work with the new generation small block chevy?

The 5.3 Liter Gen III Truck one will not work. Its way too long. You can use the one from a Ls1 Corvette 97 and newer. This puts the belts back over 2"

You will need to use the alternator mount from a 98/02 Ls1 F-body car and make some mods to it. This mounts the alternator low on the block.

This gives you more clearance at the HB than with a older SBC with the 6 cyl. balancer.

You won't be able to use the truck intake. Its too high.

If you used the new intake and carb kit from Edelbrock and GM. You can mount a genIII engine in a 914 without cutting anything at all in the engine bay.

Bob

It was my understanding that the gen III truck engine (5.3 L) is the same block as the ls1. Am I misunderstanding?
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st May 2024 - 10:48 PM