Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

51 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914 GT 3.6 Ferrari Build, - Mechanicals coming along, electronics soon!
tygaboy
post May 9 2022, 09:33 AM
Post #101

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Retroracer @ May 8 2022, 09:22 AM) *

Chris - RE: Engine cradles and such: More food for thought in the shape of what Ferrari did with the 348 model (see pic). The removable cradle extended to mounting the suspension components, actually forming part of the car chassis. Boxster struts and lower links might be substituted...?

You would likely end up removing a lot of metal in the rear of the 914 chassis to do something like this which you may not be comfortable with.

Something to think about,

- Tony

@Cairo94507 Michael - I suspect @Retroracer Tony may not be joking with the "not be comfortable" comment. That ain't a simple task and I really DON'T want to do that level of modification, at least not at this point - and I don't think I'll have to.
I'm meeting with the owner this morning to give him one last chance to change his mind about this chassis. I'm 100% sure he's going to tell me, yet again, to "Stop asking and start cutting!"
I'm pretty sure mounting the drive train is going to be the easiest part of the build.

I've been spending most of my time trying to understand what it'll take to make the engine run stand-alone. There's an immobilizer that has to be bypassed. Good news is that there are a few companies able to supply the needed black box for that, as well as reflashing the ECUs to account for the bypass.
It's now a matter of getting hold of a wiring diagram and working out which circuits in the chassis harness have to be retained. Good news is the key has no transponder so it SOUNDS like the bypass will address the biggest issue.
The wiring stuff I just did for my LS car is child's play in comparison, given thousands of people have "been there, done that."
We'll figure it out, one way or another! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sunglasses.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post May 9 2022, 09:45 AM
Post #102

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

Yeah, I knew Tony was just pulling your chain. I know you are quite capable when it comes to cutting and welding, etc. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post May 9 2022, 10:16 AM
Post #103

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 9 2022, 08:45 AM) *

Yeah, I knew Tony was just pulling your chain. I know you are quite capable when it comes to cutting and welding, etc. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

"capable" and "comfortable" are two completely different things though ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

+Quote Post
tygaboy
post May 9 2022, 04:19 PM
Post #104

914 Guru

QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 9 2022, 09:16 AM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 9 2022, 08:45 AM) *

"capable" and "comfortable" are two completely different things though ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

At this point, there's no compelling reason to go crazy on the chassis. This build is focused on the swap and making the car run/drive. Focus people, focus! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post May 9 2022, 04:30 PM
Post #105

914 Guru

Then the owner said, "Come get the rest of the parts..." This is the first load. A bit of the back story is there were at least two 360s that contributed to the parts stash. One was an F1 paddle shift car, one was a manual. One was a spyder, one not. There are boxes of parts, not labeled other than "Ferrari". There's some F1 wiring, some manual wiring...
These are only some of the bins I've got to go through.

Who speaks/reads Italian? I'll need it to figure out which of these parts I need.

In cosa mi sono cacciato? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) ( (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) )

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post May 9 2022, 04:50 PM
Post #106

914 Guru

Some folks have asked about the intake set up. It really is quite the engineering marvel. If you're like me and find this sort of thing interesting, the link below will take you to a detailed write up about it.
At the very least, know this:
There are dual, DBW throttle bodies that control the air flow into the plenums, just like you'd expect. But those butterflies in the intake runners AND the valve that connects the plenums? They're operated pneumatically.

https://aldousvoice.com/2013/01/07/ferrari-...-intake-system/

Remember, all this was available on the '99 360 (maybe on some earlier models, I don't know). Want to see something interesting? Google the new 'Vette Z06 engine and look the design of its intake. Sure, its a bit more refined but it certainly seems Ferrari was onto a good idea.

Crap, I'm starting to like Ferraris...

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post May 9 2022, 05:34 PM
Post #107

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

Oh my . . . you are going to be busy for a minute or two. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post May 10 2022, 04:20 PM
Post #108

914 Guru

After scaring the crap out of myself with the wiring, I needed something to make myself feel better so when I came across part of the exhaust, I couldn't resist a "test fit".
It actually looks pretty good. Certainly better in real life than in these pics.

And yes, that exhaust bypass is actuated electro-pneumatically. An ECU signal triggers a valve to open and that same pneumatic accumulator that controls the intake manifold pops open a less restrictive exhaust path.

Attached image(s)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post May 10 2022, 09:50 PM
Post #109

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

I love butterfly valved exhausts… such a cool idea. I planned on it with my car but didn’t have room.

When I did my cars wiring I used my phone with a translation app. Also lots of stickers had numbers that I was able to look up on Google.
+Quote Post
Krieger
post May 10 2022, 10:16 PM
Post #110

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104
Region Association: None

QUOTE(tygaboy @ May 10 2022, 03:20 PM) *

After scaring the crap out of myself with the wiring, I needed something to make myself feel better so when I came across part of the exhaust, I couldn't resist a "test fit".
It actually looks pretty good. Certainly better in real life than in these pics.

And yes, that exhaust bypass is actuated electro-pneumatically. An ECU signal triggers a valve to open and that same pneumatic accumulator that controls the intake manifold pops open a less restrictive exhaust path.

The flange on that exhaust looks like a 914 2.0 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
roundtwo
post May 10 2022, 11:25 PM
Post #111

Member No.: 23,905
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(tygaboy @ May 9 2022, 03:30 PM) *

Then the owner said, "Come get the rest of the parts..." This is the first load. A bit of the back story is there were at least two 360s that contributed to the parts stash. One was an F1 paddle shift car, one was a manual. One was a spyder, one not. There are boxes of parts, not labeled other than "Ferrari". There's some F1 wiring, some manual wiring...
These are only some of the bins I've got to go through.

Who speaks/reads Italian? I'll need it to figure out which of these parts I need.

In cosa mi sono cacciato? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) ( (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) )

You'll be my first call when I start building a space shuttle. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post May 11 2022, 08:24 AM
Post #112

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

Do you have access to the wiring schematics? Curious how well made or not they are.

+Quote Post
Cracker
post May 20 2022, 07:01 PM
Post #113

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

I think so...I've been asking for "space and time" once the Benz project was completed...what happened Chris? Ford Transit Connect... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Cracker

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 9 2022, 06:34 PM) *

Oh my . . . you are going to be busy for a minute or two. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

+Quote Post
2mAn
post Jun 6 2022, 04:17 PM
Post #114

trying to see how long I can go without a 914

Member No.: 16,644
Region Association: Southern California

Absolutely love this build, and after the other one Im so eager to see what this ends up looking like. That chassis would've been the perfect car to get forgiveness from my wife, bring that purple is her favorite color and the fact that I plan to build a flat 6 soon

Oh well, I wont try to derail this plan... and quite the opposite. A few plate ideas

Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jun 6 2022, 05:37 PM
Post #115

Resident German

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Jun 22 2022, 04:50 PM
Post #116

914 Guru

Too many projects, not enough time. Well, that and we were searching for all the Ferrari parts that were somewhere amongst a very large (I mean LARGE) parts stash of air-cooled 911 stuff.
And it always takes longer when your searching is interrupted when you stumble on something, umm, "unique".

Factory 935 rear suspension, center locks and calipers anyone? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Jun 22 2022, 04:55 PM
Post #117

914 Guru

But back to this build. We found all the parts that were there, most importantly, the engine ECUs, oil separator tank (and cap w/dipstick) and the throttle bodies/MAF sensors.

And you thought the engine looked big before...!

Back to the parts. Just some perspective in a "and you thought Porsche parts were pricey!" sort of way:
The ECUs (remember, there are two) command ~$2500 - $3000. Each. That oil tank cap/dipstick? Used, they're about $200.
So finding all the parts we possibly can is a good thing.

Attached thumbnail(s)
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Jun 22 2022, 04:59 PM
Post #118

914 Guru

As soon as my 914 is back together (hopefully in less than 2 weeks), I'll move the other chassis into the Red Barn and get started on fitting this drive train! I'm psyched to get started! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jun 22 2022, 05:07 PM
Post #119

Life's been good to me so far.....

Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jun 22 2022, 05:50 PM) *

Too many projects, not enough time. Well, that and we were searching for all the Ferrari parts that were somewhere amongst a very large (I mean LARGE) parts stash of air-cooled 911 stuff.
And it always takes longer when your searching is interrupted when you stumble on something, umm, "unique".

Factory 935 rear suspension, center locks and calipers anyone? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

Damn... I would love to have those to go with my flat fan on my 914-6.

I even looked up how much wheels would cost....

Clay
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jun 22 2022, 06:16 PM
Post #120

Resident German

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 22 2022, 04:07 PM) *
I even looked up how much wheels would cost....

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

51 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:57 AM