Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

52 Pages V « < 43 44 45 46 47 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914 GT 3.6 Ferrari Build, - Mechanicals coming along, electronics soon!
ClayPerrine
post Feb 8 2024, 01:44 PM
Post #881

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Feb 7 2024, 01:01 PM) *

While I appreciate the comments and opinions, there are other things I'm looking to deal with such as wanting as much trunk space as I can get.
The current "pointed straight back" TBs means I'd need to sacrifice trunk volume to some sort of air box - plus work out an intake location. And no, I don't want tubes running back and forth to feed the air box, I don't want an intake in the rear panel...

So. The current thinking is to reshape the rear of the upper pleunum so it essentially matches the angle of the front. Then shorten the manifold runners only as much as needed to get the intake under the engine grill. This also means no mods needed to the trunk lid.

Then, the TBs get relocated to the sides of the plenum, as pictured. This allows for air boxes that live right under the grill. And I get all the trunk space.

And before you get worked up about this sort of change, I've been in touch with one of the most respected 360 tuners to dicuss this. Part way through the conversation, he says "Let me text you a pic...". That's the first pic here. It's exactly what I'm talking about. He said it works fine - and referenced that this is the same approach Ferrari took with the Enzo. That's the 2nd pic.

Is it going to sacrifice power? Maybe. But also maybe not. And if it does, do I care? No. I was essentially assured driveability is retained, which is really the most important thing to me.

I do prefer the look of the initial version but after seeing the Enzo, I think I can come up with an attractive set up.

I like the idea of using that intake. It looks cool. You should make a plate that says Porsche to go below the Ferrari script on the intake.

User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Van B
post Feb 8 2024, 06:51 PM
Post #882

Group: Members
Member No.: 26,011
Region Association: None

Ah they are welded then machined. Thats not a bad price for blocks that size!

Also, I try not to opinionate much on your build out of respect for the art, but I like the idea of side inlets and the carrera GT style wire humps.

But really, this build is fun for me because it doesn’t set off my LS allergy, and your need for truly novel solutions here is pretty cool.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Feb 8 2024, 07:03 PM
Post #883

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

Another "Tygaboy Re-do"! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Off come the turn downs, the intake manifold get turned 180 degrees (am I surprised that worked?) and we're set to add side TBs to the plenum.
The plan at this point is to keep the manifold at stock height and "embrace the bulge".
But it sure looks a bunch different that it did.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Feb 8 2024, 07:12 PM
Post #884

914 Guru

The biggest change is how with the "ramp" now at the back, I won't need as dramatic a bulge at the trunk.
Here, I'm just playing with fit to get a feel for what sort of clearancing will be needed on the trunk. It's not much - looks like it needs about 1.5" to come into position - and I have a couple ideas for shape/function. Also note the engine lid isn't in position at the front as it fouls on the forward part of the plenum so a bit of rework needed there.

And I'll likely need a slight bulge to cover the TBs, outboard of each plenum. Yep, still a bunch of design and fab stuff to work out.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Feb 8 2024, 07:15 PM
Post #885

914 Guru

Profile shot. Again, the engine lid will drop a bit at the front and expose more of the plenum. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Feb 8 2024, 07:17 PM
Post #886

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Feb 8 2024, 05:15 PM) *

Profile shot. Again, the engine lid will drop a bit at the front exposing more of the plenum. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

I like it!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Feb 8 2024, 08:28 PM
Post #887

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Feb 8 2024, 07:03 PM) *

Another "Tygaboy Re-do"! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Off come the turn downs, the intake manifold get turned 180 degrees (am I surprised that worked?) and we're set to add side TBs to the plenum.
The plan at this point is to keep the manifold at stock height and "embrace the bulge".
But it sure looks a bunch different that it did.

At least you didn't have to turn the engine around. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
Van B
post Feb 8 2024, 08:43 PM
Post #888

Member No.: 26,011

Uh yes please! Maybe an upward lip across the leading edge of the trunk? 30-45 degrees up and starting 1.5” back? Would allow you to merge the lines from bulge to trunk and give additional clearance for opening and closing.
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Feb 8 2024, 11:02 PM
Post #889

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

I'm glad that worked out fairly easily.

I'd be tempted to make the trunk shorter and the grille longer. Might get tight with the top in there but the lid frame is bigger than it needs to be.
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Feb 10 2024, 08:53 AM
Post #890

914 Guru

Making it up as I go along. As if you needed more proof. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MrHYmchDl4
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Feb 10 2024, 10:09 AM
Post #891

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104

Sweet! What about using a single large sheet of engine grill type material instead of reworking the lid.
Then press the dome shape into it. Trim it to fit engine compartment. Then make a functional frame for it?
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Feb 10 2024, 03:23 PM
Post #892

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

Couple notes.

I've got the same fitment issues you're dealing with. The issue with flipping the intake on mine was the injector rails didn't fit anymore. Also looks like they could be an issue if you splice the runners.

With the intakes on the sides you will want heat shields.
I'd try to copy the Ferrari side intake location if it fits well. It's not critical but I have decision making issues lol.
At this point ditch the stock engine lid.... at least the front pivot design. It's not going to open as wide with the bulge either.

Variable intake length on my Nissan:
idle to 1800 = short
1800 to 3600 = long
3600 to 6800 = short

I'd stick with the factory bellows for flexibility when the engine rocks back and forth.

I will likely have a 'beauty bump' too - the price of speed (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-431-1707600182.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Feb 10 2024, 06:06 PM
Post #893

914 Guru

Proof of concept/test fit. The top Juuuuuuust contacts that cap.
A couple things to note:
- the air/oil separater isn't fully seated. It'll drop about 3/8"
- the targa top is actually resting with its window seals against the inner fender so it'll lift by a bit.

In short, the roof will fit with no mods to the separater! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
And yes, I have a rough plan for fabbing up the needed front mounts as part of new trunk sheet metal.
You'll have to check out the next video to see the overview...

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Feb 10 2024, 06:10 PM
Post #894

914 Guru

A top view showing how the top clears the plenum.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
East coaster
post Feb 11 2024, 06:13 AM
Post #895

Member No.: 487

I like where this is going….
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Feb 13 2024, 01:30 PM
Post #896

914 Guru

Measure twice, cut once? Plan ahead? Lock down requirements before starting the build?

I'm no good at any of that which is a key reason for the "Tygaboy do-overs". In this case, it's fabbing a new trunk front wall. Ah, well.

But I mean, come on! Who would have guessed a Ferrari 360 drive train (albeit with a flipped intake) would fit inside a 914 with the trunk wall still in place? OK, to be fair, that wall is going to need a bit of a notch in the central area to clear the intake and oil supply/vent lines but, wow.

And to be fair, I want the entire trunk floor and front wall to be removable for servicability and Cars & Coffeee "look at that" sorts of events so it likely would have been cut out anyway.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Feb 16 2024, 03:12 PM
Post #897

914 Guru

The trunk lid was going to need a notch so I went ahead with that. This is a crappy lid with rust, a ton of bondo and damage at the hinge mount so I didn't feel bad sacrificing it to the cause.

I think the final version may have a bit tighter clearnace at the back but I won't really know until the TBs are in place and I can get a feel for what the overall shapes look like, how a plenum grill/cover may integrate, etc. But my first reaction is that it doesn't look too bad.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Feb 16 2024, 06:37 PM
Post #898

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176

Power Bulge ?
+Quote Post
Retroracer
post Feb 16 2024, 06:45 PM
Post #899

Member No.: 16,100
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Chris - at this point you might as well ditch the idea of an engine lid. Why not fab up two removable side / cover panels half metal, half mesh covered that have location pins at the back, some kind of quick connect fasteners near the trunk lip, so you can just lift them out when needed? Kind of ties in with your removable upper trunk panel.

Just a thought.

- Tony

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Montreal914
post Feb 16 2024, 07:17 PM
Post #900

Member No.: 12,023
Region Association: Southern California

Pushing this concept ^^^ one step further, how about including the small part that is normally attached to the body and eliminate that panel gap. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post

52 Pages V « < 43 44 45 46 47 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 07:31 AM