Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How to make a '74 1.8L sound less like a VW bug, Would this necessitate a muffler change? Muffler modification? Exhaust tip?
Jake Raby
post May 11 2022, 12:19 PM
Post #61

Engine Surgeon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

Lots of other factors create the character of the engine note the T4 has other than the exhaust. Usually the intake note of my engines is louder in the car than the exhaust, and the components and clearances I use change the mechanical notes as well.

Usually what makes a T4 sound more like a VW than a Porsche is the valve train clatter, which can be altered with components and clearances.

So what "VW noise" are you trying to cancel out?

If I have learned anything about T4 engines over the last 28 years it has been the correlation between exhaust sound and performance do not go hand in hand. If the exhaust is developed for sound, it'll usually suck for performance and engine tune ability. The latter is the most important, as rich running is directly indicative of poor exhaust design. When testing exhaust systems I can tell within one dyno pull if they are worthy a damn or not, and that is all based on the shape and specifics of the air fuel ratio curve. If an engine wants more fuel to reach 13:1 AFR I know that exhaust is a good design, if it wants less fuel then I know the exhaust sucks.

I see engines that act lean in the way they behave, but indicate overly rich fuel mixtures. These are the worst exhaust designs of all. I see this primarily when people (including me 20+ years ago) attempt to try a 4-2 exhaust design with these engines. This does not work, no matter how the cylinders are paired. It sounds like a sick Harley, runs rich, and can't be tuned- period.

To me you either choose sound or performance/ efficiency/ tuning. The guys that choose the former never really realize what they leave on the table for performance and tuning. They do wonder why the engine has higher than optimum CHT and OT (oil temperatures) and why the engine averages 10 MPG all the time. They wonder why the oil turns black from soot in a couple hundred miles, and they wonder why they have issues with blow- by compression. They wonder why their air filters (dual carbs especially) are soaked in unburned fuel spray from stand- off.

They never correlate exhaust with any of this. I know that ALL of this is impacted by exhaust design in relation to the T4. Having designed many systems for my 996/997/Cayman engines over time I'll say that these engines do not follow suite and they have completely different rules when it comes to design. Just like my 4.1L 993 based engine loves a pair of 3-1 pairings with a nice detailed collector makes it completely different than that of the M96/M97/9A1 engine that has proven to hate this.

Admittedly, most of my direct experience is not with engines that retain stock heater boxes since these generally don't perform well enough for even my least performing engines. Due to this the systems that utilize basic/ stockfish mufflers aren't my forte. Today I start with 180HP at minimum from what I build and the design changes I have made to the engine internals in regard to camshafts and cylinder heads with my generation 7 engines no longer really like the 4-2-1 design like they used to in the earlier days. Today a short primary 4-1 usually makes the flattest torque curve and best peak power at the same time, if the collector design is correct. I started changing things around back in 2010 when I developed my "Evil Twist" T4 conversion exhaust used mostly in 356s/ 912s then VW conversion applications.

Mufflers do make a difference, since sound wave control is a definite factor with everything related to exhaust. What really woke me up was buying a much bigger flow bench (Superflow 1020) that can really show the differences in flow characteristics between mufflers. What I learned quickly on this bench was sound and volume don't go hand in hand when it comes to muffler design, and "back pressure" is often misunderstood as a factor that doesn't even exist.

These things said, any engine 2270cc or larger has every factor heavily impacted by exhaust design. If you get the exhaust wrong, you botch the entire engine combination.

I think that it is ok to create an engine that sounds like nothing else. People spend all their time trying to make the car sound like something it isn't, when they should be embracing the uniqueness. If you identify the unique sound and behaviors as "flaws" it means you are decreasing the individuality of the 914.

That's just my perspective, and most won't agree with it.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post May 11 2022, 12:30 PM
Post #62

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ May 11 2022, 02:19 PM) *

People spend all their time trying to make the car sound like something its isn't, when they should be embracing the uniqueness.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) Quotable.
+Quote Post
Van B
post May 11 2022, 12:42 PM
Post #63

Member No.: 26,011
Region Association: None

I see this primarily when people (including me 20+ years ago) attempt to try a 4-2 exhaust design with these engines. This does not work, no matter how the cylinders are paired. It sounds like a sick Harley, runs rich, and can't be tuned- period.

You broke my heart with this observation Jake lol...
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post May 11 2022, 02:05 PM
Post #64

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Van B @ May 11 2022, 10:42 AM) *

I see this primarily when people (including me 20+ years ago) attempt to try a 4-2 exhaust design with these engines. This does not work, no matter how the cylinders are paired. It sounds like a sick Harley, runs rich, and can't be tuned- period.

You broke my heart with this observation Jake lol...

My very first T4 engines ran like crap. They got hot, ran rich and had no power. I absolutely could not figure it out in 3 different cars that were T4 conversions. The same combinations in a VW bus would run great. Those 3 cars all ran an exhaust that was really easy to build as a 2-1. Use a pair of bus F pipes, slap on a better collector, and go straight into a pair of mufflers I would run out the back of the car.. When that didn't work I removed the mufflers and ran a stinger... It got WORSE!

When I removed the dual 2-1 set up and swapped to a 4-1 the car was even slower... because it was way too lean. I had pulled so much fuel trying to get the AFR correct with the 2-1 that when I swapped to the 4-1 I was 4 jet sizes too lean.. Back then we didn't have Wideband O2 sensors and barely had a narrow band. It was so archaic that it had different colored lights that indicated enrichment, and that was the only way I figured it out. Once I corrected the AFR the engines were completely different than with the dual 2-1.

Then the timing the engine wanted changed, and fuel economy doubled. The oil wasn't black in a matter of miles, and I didn't have blow by so bad that I needed a catch can attached to the engine anymore.

Learning things the hard way is the only way. We do not learn lessons from successes, only failures. That's why more than 2.5 decades later I remember this experience so vividly, and try to express it to others.
+Quote Post
Van B
post May 11 2022, 02:20 PM
Post #65

Member No.: 26,011
Region Association: None

Definitely appreciated. Especially prior to investing money and labor into a dead end.

+Quote Post
wonkipop
post May 11 2022, 03:00 PM
Post #66

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

@Jake Raby

thats a good read.

+Quote Post
euro911
post May 12 2022, 11:00 AM
Post #67

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

Looks a lot like a Subaru motor ?
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post May 12 2022, 05:51 PM
Post #68

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(euro911 @ May 12 2022, 11:00 AM) *

Looks a lot like a Subaru motor ?

very similar looking.
a very different sound.
twin cam per head 4 valve version has around 130 hp.
motronic injection.
think the one lying around in workshop came out of a late 33 II.

there was also a 1.7 two valve version with later version of L jet on it. 110 hp.
no carb versions.

earlier smaller capacity 1.5 L versions have a nice twin 2 barrel carb set up.
a mate of mine had a 33 sportswagen with that engine.
good engine - a shite car. bus like steering wheel mounting angle and pedals that were too close. you could never get comfortable to drive it. it cracked in half across the front before it even had a chance to rust out.
alfas = one of the few cars that did rust out in aus.

we are thinking of jamming it in this and going to lake gairdner.
probably the last sud left in aus that didn't rust away or break in half across the front.
crazy covid stuff wrecked those plans + this year rain filled the salt lake.
might still try and do it.
Attached Image

dimensionally the engine would fit in a 914. but then there is all the water cooling stuff you have to do.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th June 2024 - 02:56 PM