Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Best way to sell my 1974 914, Sold this car for $20,000
thamm
post May 20 2022, 12:07 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,143
Region Association: South East States

I SOLD THE CAR FOR $20,000.

I am planning to sell my Silver 1974 914 2 liter Porche. I live in Cary, North Carolina. I would really appreciate any advice you can give me about the best way to sell it. I drove my 914 to work and for pleasure from about 1980 to 2005. Then I left it in my garage without starting it until late last year when I decided to sell it. I bought new tires, a new battery, new spark plugs, changed the oil, changed the oil strainer, changed the oil filter, and changed the fuel filter. The car is in good condition but has the following problems: 1. The car started but runs roughly and tends to die and then is difficult to restart. I drove the car around the neighborhood and everything works but the engine needs at least cleaning up and tuning. 2. One engine deck lid hinge is broken (I have the new hinge but have not had it welded onto the car). 2. The passenger seat upholstery needs to be replaced. 3. There are a three chipped areas in the paint. 4. The car does not seem to have the serious rust problems like many 914's listed online.

I would like to sell it to someone who plans to restore it so I am hesitant to do any restoration since I am not competent to do it and the new owner will want to do that anyway. Does that make sense? Should I try to sell it on ebay or autotrader or something like that?

Anything you can suggest to help me will be greatly appreciated.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post May 20 2022, 01:34 PM
Post #2

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

@thamm Nice looking car. I understand your desire for your car to go to an enthusiast instead of a flipper and I applaud you.

I would take a bunch of photos of the car sitting outside in good light. Start with overall exterior, then interior then both trunks and door jambs. Shoot the engine bay and try to get the area below the battery up against the firewall- they typically rust there and then down into the passenger side long. If you can get it up in the air enough to put a camera under the car and take front/middle, rear that helps. Photos are free and so is posting them. It does take a little effort but you will be rewarded with a fast sale - in my humble opinion.

I hope someone who truly wants a 914 ends up with your car; I would love it.
Cheers and good luck with the sale,
Michael
+Quote Post
emerygt350
post May 20 2022, 03:10 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 25,740
Region Association: North East States

Pcamarket might result in more enthusiasts than bring a trailer or ebay.
+Quote Post
mmichalik
post May 20 2022, 03:18 PM
Post #4

MikeM

Member No.: 19,600
Region Association: Southern California

There's also the classifieds section here on 914world: FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
+Quote Post
Van B
post May 20 2022, 03:28 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 26,011
Region Association: None

Did you park it as driven i.e. no fuel stabilizer or engine Fogger? If so, I highly recommend you pull the injectors and send them to a fuel injector service shop for ultrasonic cleaning. I’m certain that is your biggest running problem. While those are gone, you then need to replace your fuel filter, flush the fuel lines, and change the oil. It would also be responsible to bleed the brakes.

I say this because without putting in that little bit of work, you won’t be able to get what that car is actually worth no matter how you sell it.

Regarding your actual question, I suggest listing it here first since it’s free to do. And I would avoid auction sites like BAT since you forfeit control over the sale.
+Quote Post
thamm
post Jun 5 2022, 01:13 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 20 2022, 03:34 PM) *

@thamm Nice looking car. I understand your desire for your car to go to an enthusiast instead of a flipper and I applaud you.

I would take a bunch of photos of the car sitting outside in good light. Start with overall exterior, then interior then both trunks and door jambs. Shoot the engine bay and try to get the area below the battery up against the firewall- they typically rust there and then down into the passenger side long. If you can get it up in the air enough to put a camera under the car and take front/middle, rear that helps. Photos are free and so is posting them. It does take a little effort but you will be rewarded with a fast sale - in my humble opinion.

Michael

Thanks for the suggestions. I put my 914 on FS/wanted with lots of pictures
+Quote Post
thamm
post Jun 5 2022, 01:15 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(Van B @ May 20 2022, 05:28 PM) *

Did you park it as driven i.e. no fuel stabilizer or engine Fogger? If so, I highly recommend you pull the injectors and send them to a fuel injector service shop for ultrasonic cleaning. I’m certain that is your biggest running problem. While those are gone, you then need to replace your fuel filter, flush the fuel lines, and change the oil. It would also be responsible to bleed the brakes.

I say this because without putting in that little bit of work, you won’t be able to get what that car is actually worth no matter how you sell it.

Regarding your actual question, I suggest listing it here first since it’s free to do. And I would avoid auction sites like BAT since you forfeit control over the sale.

Thanks for the suggestion. I listed my 914 on FS/wanted with lots of pictures
+Quote Post
thamm
post Jun 5 2022, 01:16 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(mmichalik @ May 20 2022, 05:18 PM) *

There's also the classifieds section here on 914world: FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers

thanks for the suggestion. I listed my 914 on FS/wanted with lots of pictures
+Quote Post
thamm
post Jun 13 2022, 03:19 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 20 2022, 03:34 PM) *

Michael

I SOLD THE CAR FOR $20,000. THANKS FOR HELPING ME
+Quote Post
thamm
post Jun 13 2022, 03:20 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(thamm @ Jun 5 2022, 03:16 PM) *

QUOTE(mmichalik @ May 20 2022, 05:18 PM) *

thanks for the suggestion. I listed my 914 on FS/wanted with lots of pictures

+Quote Post
thamm
post Jun 13 2022, 03:21 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(thamm @ Jun 5 2022, 03:15 PM) *

QUOTE(Van B @ May 20 2022, 05:28 PM) *

Thanks for the suggestion. I listed my 914 on FS/wanted with lots of pictures

+Quote Post
thamm
post Jun 13 2022, 03:23 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(emerygt350 @ May 20 2022, 05:10 PM) *

Pcamarket might result in more enthusiasts than bring a trailer or ebay.

I SOLD THE CAR FOR $20,000 ON 914 WORLD. THANKS FOR HELPING ME
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:20 PM