Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Price Check, 1976 2L Survivor, Helping out a friend's family
GregAmy
post May 20 2022, 03:35 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,565
Region Association: North East States

First, this is not a "for sale" ad. I do not own the car, and I am not brokering it (at least, not at this time).

I was asked to help out the family a friend's brother, who passed away leaving his 1976 914. I'm looking for some advice to pass along to them for how much this may be worth (yes, I know, "as much as someone is willing to pay") and best opportunities for selling it.

This is a very clean '76 2L. It's a white L80E with white interior, family says that's the original colors. I infer the PO had it for at least 10 years and one of his former partners notes he was "meticulous" on his maintenance. I went to look at the car today and took a bunch of photos and drove it.

I gotta tell ya, it's one of the nicest-driving 914s I've ever driven. Clutch action is silky smooth with excellent take-up, throttle action is smooth as well, and shifting is buttery but positive (no worn-out linkages here). Suspension is smooth and a bit floaty to my tastes, but the inserts feel like they still have rebound. Were the original cars this soft (askss the Koni-equipped guy)?

There are many things on this car that support that mileage and it being a garaged survivor. Just little things like the washer bottle hose is still original and in good shape, decals in places where they should be, Clean original dashboard with no cracks (zero). Door cards in great shape, carpets in serviceable condition.

Brakes are firm and with good LR and FR balance. Couldn't really see what pads were in there or how much was left.

The body is in great shape but shows evidence of a re-spray (see headlight motors); she does not know how much of the car was painted or how long ago, so it must have been done before the deceased bought it. But the quality of the paint is very good. There's a couple of under-paint rust bubbles on each front fenders near where the aft edge of the fender meets the windshield header, but it's less than the size of my pinky fingernail.

Bumpers are in great shape. All vinyl is in great shape. Chrome is in great shape. That, along with the clean dash, shows the car has clearly not lived outside.

The person that I met said that the interior was re-upholstered a few years ago, in the original white color. She said the owner had to special-order the material for it.

2L engine compartment is complete with the stock D-Jet. Car, dead cold, fired right up and idled with the turn of the key. The idle stayed at around 1500 even when warmed up, and removing and blocking the air bypass hose didn't make it go down, so maybe it just needs an idle adjustment (and the air valve checked). Otherwise take up on throttle and clutch was silky smooth, engine even never stumbled under any load or throttle setting.

The car must have orginally come from California, as it has the metal EGR tubes going into the heads. Where the tubes came together next to the airbox was blocked off with a hose and plug, and I confess I don't know what that's supposed to go to. But there was no evidence, visual or audible, for any of those tubes leaking.

So, the big 914 question: rust. I could not get a good eye on the hell hole, as the charcoal canister was in the way. But I did slide my hand down in the pocket area/divot forward of the battery, as well as the flat area under the battery, and all I felt was smooth sheet metal. The battery tray show some pitting but was intact.

The longs, however, both have areas of rust, on their aft ends, of about 8-10 inches, with some small through-holes. It is not extensive, and it is not so large as to affect structure. The jack points are all still there, though with surfacer rust. I do believe this is something that someone with some metal/welding talents can whack out in a reasonable amount of time and, in my opinion, not of a level to cause rejection fo teh car outright.

There were some other area of surface rust, such as across the bottom pan, and probably above the transaxle (see the trunk photos) but nothing through. If it is significant importance, I can get the car to my house and put it on my lift to get a better view and take more photos (and get a boroscope into the hell hole area).

Person said that the Po never drove it on bad days; she knew this because the top never came out of the trunk. So it has not seen snowy/salt roads in quite a long time.

Overall, this is a very clean car, is much better overall condition that my "probably 200k miles" driver-quality car. Other than the longs rust, it is very nice, and very original. I would suggest, based on the originality of the car and how it drives, this is a Hagerty Good+ car, with only the longs rust keeping it from being a solid Excellent.

So, my goal with you today is to get some feedback on this car (tear it up), and get an idea of where I should ask the family to start negotiations, along with the best opportunites to sell it. Car is located in central CT.

Your thoughts? Thanks for your time.

Greg
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 07:45 AM