Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bought another pcar, Something different this time
PanelBilly
post May 21 2022, 06:37 PM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,488
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I been watching this car for a while and finely pulled the trigger. My plans are to offer it as a rental on Hagerty’s Drive Share program. Figure lots of people would enjoy a day or weekend trip with unique car. It’s an automatic too, so they don’t need to think about shifting with their left hand. Just need to stay in their lane. I was thinking $175-200 a day. Maybe. Weekend pa mage Friday to Sunday afternoon. Let me know what you think of the price.
https://cvrpca.com/2022/01/01/a-968-like-no-other/
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post May 21 2022, 07:27 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(PanelBilly @ May 21 2022, 06:37 PM) *

I been watching this car for a while and finely pulled the trigger. My plans are to offer it as a rental on Hagerty’s Drive Share program. Figure lots of people would enjoy a day or weekend trip with unique car. It’s an automatic too, so they don’t need to think about shifting with their left hand. Just need to stay in their lane. I was thinking $175-200 a day. Maybe. Weekend pa mage Friday to Sunday afternoon. Let me know what you think of the price.
https://cvrpca.com/2022/01/01/a-968-like-no-other/

not unique down here. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

nice read noting the ways in which a rhd car is often not a mirror car at all.

you would need to be prepared with a good insurance policy covering accident damage for above average replacement of all lhs panels. and special death seat insurance for passenger throne. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
Jack Standz
post May 21 2022, 08:09 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 23,644
Region Association: None

Cool car and congratulations!

968s are so much harder to find in the US than 914s because Porsche made more than 10 times as many 914s!

While exact production/import numbers aren't really available, only 2,008 Cabriolets were imported to North America. We are fortunate to have one, as it took years to find the right one. Don't know how many coupes made it to the US, it may be slightly more.

If you're trying to make a profit in the long run, your rental price is not sufficient in my opinion. One big/huge problem is likely parts availability. Another is repair costs (check out a quote for a "simple" timing belt replacement).

Seriously, a brake master cylinder has a list price of at least $400 for aftermarket and $750+ for the Porsche one. That's if you can find one, which you can't. Many vendors may show a part is available and even list a price, but the part just doesn't exist because the vendor hasn't updated the listings.

Oftentimes parts suppliers will sell you the wrong part, like the clutch pressure plate for a 964 which is way too high a clamping pressure (not your car which has a tiptronic transmission) or a part for a 944 that won't work. Many many parts are NLA.

Best of luck and again congratulations on your cool new car.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post May 21 2022, 10:40 PM
Post #4

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

People have a hard time driving in the ditch. An even harder time turning left with a RHD. Good luck on your venture. I wonder what your ins co is going to think of the rental plan.
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post May 21 2022, 11:55 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 21 2022, 10:40 PM) *

People have a hard time driving in the ditch. An even harder time turning left with a RHD. Good luck on your venture. I wonder what your ins co is going to think of the rental plan.

don't know if you have ever had the pleasure of travelling in the passenger seat of a "wrong" handed car. sitting in the seat where you normally drive is terrifying. out there on the edge of the white line down the centre of the road. very hard to relax. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post May 22 2022, 08:10 AM
Post #6

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488

I’m not doing this to make money and Hagerty developed the program and provides the insurance coverage. They have a website for reservations and include a breakdown service.

Julie and I are the membership chairs for the PNW PCA region. We enjoy meeting all the people and our area has over 3200 members. Hopefully this car will help us share the experience and make more friends.

I e been tempted to add the 914 to other people so they can see what it’s like to drive, but so far I haven’t brought myself to that point.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post May 22 2022, 10:13 AM
Post #7

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

In 1976 my roommate and I bought a Morris Oxford Estate Wagon in London, RHD, and took it to the continent. It was a quick lesson in 'driving in the ditch'. RHD in a roundabout designed for LHD was a harrowing experience. Tiny streets in Amsterdam.
+Quote Post
rjames
post May 22 2022, 11:07 AM
Post #8

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467

I drove a RHD at the Post Office for 15 years and didn't notice any difference from driving a LHD vehicle. They were all automatics though. If I had to drive a RHD car with a clutch, that'd probably be a different story.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:03 AM